PDA

View Full Version : Don't get drunk onboard - or else

Final 3 Greens
13th Feb 2009, 09:28
Man jailed for getting drunk on plane - Crime, UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/man-jailed-for-getting-drunk-on-plane-1608467.html)

Scumbag O'Riley
13th Feb 2009, 10:19
Twelve weeks jail is somewhat excessive. Funny places, magistrates courts.

strake
13th Feb 2009, 10:28
To be honest, I don't think that's a bad decision by the Mags in this instance.

If he was D & D on a bus or train he would have probably have been bound over or fined a couple of hundred quid. 6 weeks in chokey will give him ample time to reflect on his behaviour.

Scumbag O'Riley
13th Feb 2009, 10:44
Why is being drunk and obnoxious on a plane different from being drunk and obnoxious on a train?

strake
13th Feb 2009, 10:57
I guess because you can stop a bus or train and kick him off. In the confined area of an aircraft at 30,000ft or during a critical phase of flight such as landing, an abusive drunk would be a problem that would cause great concern to both passengers and crew.
As an aside, if this had happened in the USA, this guy could be off playing wifey with some rather nasty people for anything up to ten years with no parole.

Avitor
13th Feb 2009, 10:59
I have no argument with the beaks. A well deserved break form his usual activities....whatever they may be. :ok:

Scumbag O'Riley
13th Feb 2009, 11:17
Thanks Strake. So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the feelings of crew/passengers on a plane are different to the feelings of what could be the same crew/passengers on a train. And worth 12 weeks in pokey different?

Well I strongly disagree.

I would have thought he would have been sat on and things could have continued as normal and nobody should be worried the slightest.

Now if the drinks trolley had run out of booze, that would have been a problem :) They do serve alcohol on flights, you know.........

Avitor
13th Feb 2009, 11:22
Thanks Strake. So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the feelings of crew/passengers on a plane are different to the feelings of what could be the same crew/passengers on a train. And worth 12 weeks in pokey different?

Well I strongly disagree.

I would have thought he would have been sat on and things could have continued as normal and nobody should be worried the slightest.

Now if the drinks trolley had run out of booze, that would have been a problem :) They do serve alcohol on flights, you know.........

Boozers of the world unite. A pretty poor argument in my opinion. ;)

boardingpass
13th Feb 2009, 11:39
We're not talking about having a drink in the lounge, then a drink or two on the flight. Nothing wrong with that if it helps you relax. This guy downed a bottle of vodka in the toilet and then became abusive to staff. This is a no no :=.

Sorry, but we're here for the safety and comfort of all the pax, not to sit on one of them. This is not normal, and any form of abuse on a plane is very unnerving for passengers.

He also broke several laws / air navigation orders, so sounds like a bit of jail time would do him good.

G SXTY
13th Feb 2009, 13:51
When a passenger is drunk and abusive or disruptive, it's a flight safety issue.

Cabin crew will certainly be diverted from their normal duties, and if they have to involve the flight crew, it will distract and divert us from our normal duties as well. It therefore has the potential to affect the safety of the aircraft.

The situation does not remotely compare to a bus or train - we're all locked together in an aluminium tube, several miles up and travelling at six or seven miles a minute.

Scumbag O'Riley
13th Feb 2009, 14:54
Oh the flight safety card has been played, time for me to bow out.

But not until I present a genuine case of flight safety and alcohol consumption, and he only got four months

Drunken airline pilot jailed for four months | Business | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2006/dec/09/theairlineindustry.uknews)

But that was the crown court, they are a lot more sensible in there. As I said, funny places, magistrates courts.

Tara!

OFBSLF
13th Feb 2009, 15:07
It wasn't the drunk part of drunk and stupid that was the problem. It was the stupid part.

BOFH
13th Feb 2009, 22:28
OFBSLF has a good point.

If they imprisoned me every time that I've been intoxicated on an aircraft, I'd be writing this from Scrubs. Happily, though, I'm in Ford Open now.

There is a certain character (or lack thereof) who cannot tolerate the effects of alcohol as they segue from tipsiness into intoxication. Fuelled by deep-seated problems, they become morose and burdensome - but all they remember is the light-headedness of that first drink, that gave them so much pleasure. And they want another, not realising that it won't make them happy; it will make them even more repugnant to their companions. So they'll have another...

You can't tell these people not to over-imbibe a priori. It's the way they spend their leisure time on the ground. It might be possible to spot some of them before embarkation, but without staring at his bird, how do you decide if a passenger will become a problem passenger when he's in his cups?

In terms of safety of the aircraft, after some well-publicised incidents involving the participation of other passengers to assist the crew, I think that there is little to alarm us. There is no shortage of people with cat's-bum lips who will call for the suspension of alcohol services on flights to end the menace of air rage. These are the people who support smoking bans and more widespread CCTV. You know, morons.

A more elegant solution might be to copy the cousins, but instead of Air Marshals, Air Thugs, who will nut or glass anyone acting up. In this way, the experience of the typical British pub may accompany us on our journeys.

BOFH

Ten West
14th Feb 2009, 09:50
I'm probably going to be labelled a killjoy for this one, but I don't care.

They really should not serve alcohol in departure lounges or on board aircraft. Full stop.

All incidences of drunken violence and most incidences of late PAX boarding (They're in the bar and didn't hear the PA system) could be avoided this way. Easily.

I smoke, and if I can go through the entire check-in, waiting around and flying process without a cigarette then I'm damn sure that anyone can get through the flying experience without a drink.

It really P's me off when I'm on a flight with some drunken idiot who has no idea how to conduct himself in public and so little self-respect that he's happy to allow himself to get into a state where he becomes a liability both to himself and others.

Freedom of choice is all well and good, but It should be reined in in circumstances like air travel, where the actions of those who espouse it infringe upon the rest of us.

Even when it was legal, I didn't smoke in confined spaces like bars etc. out of courtesy to others. I'd pop outside for one.
People owe it to their fellow travellers not to get rat-arsed on flights. Sadly, that's something that's of very low priority to members of the 'me, me, me' society in which we live.

Lock him up. Good on the magistrates! :ok:

Phew. Rant over.

aviatordom
14th Feb 2009, 13:34
Ten West-i certainly agree:ok:

It would certainly make some pax feel much safer and would cause a hell of alot of less problems for them, the cabin crew and the pilots.

If somebody really can't go without an alcoholic drink for 2, 5, or even 16 hours, then you need help!

just my two cents

Shack37
14th Feb 2009, 15:05
These are the people who support smoking bans and more widespread CCTV. You know, morons.

Very well thought out post. I don't support unconditionally more widespread CCTV but it has been proven to help in bringing criminals to justice. As an ex smoker (non-fanatical variety) I support the smoking ban because, just as there are inconsiderate drinkers, there are also inconsiderate smokers.

Does this make me a moron or is the definition of MORON "Any person who disagrees with you"?

s37

Eboy
19th Feb 2009, 11:41
They really should not serve alcohol in departure lounges or on board aircraft. Full stop.

I agree. I like a drink, but the overall benefits of no alcohol would benefit the flying public more, in my view.