PDA

View Full Version : Busiest Uk Sporting Events For Helicopters

IMAG15
11th Feb 2009, 16:15
Good Afternoon,

I Am Trying To Find Out Which Sporting Events In The Uk Have The Busiest Helicopter Movements. I Believe This To Be Silverstone But Which Is Next?

Some Pilots Say Royal Ascot And Others Claim Cheltenham Gold Cup Day.

I Would Like To Go To An Event Where I Am Guaranteed To See A Variety Of Helicopters.

Thanks In Advance

Bravo73
11th Feb 2009, 16:20
Silverstone (on the Sunday, ie raceday) will be your best bet.

This thread (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/283665-silverstone-2007-photos.html) will give you an idea what it was like a couple of years ago.

HTH

R44-pilot
11th Feb 2009, 18:18
How much do they charge to land at Silverstone out of curiosity?

md 600 driver
11th Feb 2009, 18:26
you could try the British Helicopter championships ,or some other helicopter club meeting

or a charity fly in like bubblegum in ireland

or go to the helitech uk [i think its here this year at duxford september time normally ]

scooter boy
11th Feb 2009, 20:05
Around £500 for an R44 in 2007.

If you don't like the idea of paying through the nose to help fund Bernie Ecclestone's maintenance payments to Slavica then you can land at Turweston (£20) and take a 4x4 offroad taxi or get on your Brompton or Di Blasi folding machinery.

Works for me (except last year when the wx was awful and we decided not to go).

SB

PS It is said that touts can be found outside the main gates, so don't despair if you haven't pre-booked at ticket for £90, you may be able to get in far less expensively.

Whirlygig
11th Feb 2009, 20:25
Plus you have to attend, in person, the annual Silverstone briefing.

Cheers

Whirls

Brilliant Stuff
12th Feb 2009, 10:22
During the Grand prix it's big money and you get charged per seat fitted to the aircraft not per body sitting in seat, but if you fly in for some other show like a car exhibition or some other event it be free. I have landed there during the Mini's 35th Birthday and was not charged a penny.

Pandalet
12th Feb 2009, 12:19
I have landed there during the Mini's 35th Birthday and was not charged a penny.

I'm assuming that wasn't in a work machine? :ok:

Brilliant Stuff
13th Feb 2009, 10:10
Correctomundo.