PDA

View Full Version : MCC courses

Zouzi
11th Feb 2009, 11:18
Where's the best school for an MCC course in the UK?

Frankly Mr Shankly
11th Feb 2009, 11:35
Best what? Best location, best price, best all singing all dancing simulator, best cafe for lunch?????????

irishone
11th Feb 2009, 11:37
Simtech in Dublin...brillant! MCC/JOC now, great instructors from all backgrounds. Good value as well.

Frankly Mr Shankly
11th Feb 2009, 11:43
When was Dublin in the UK? :}

From my point of view, it was just a tick in the box and I needed to get it done quickly, so for me that and cost were the only factors, The Flight Centre at Wolves did a good job on both counts.

Some people want to do it on a fancy sim, personally I don't see the point but hey, thats choice for you.

Zouzi
11th Feb 2009, 16:51
Thanks! Will have a look into your suggestions. Don't mind traveling to Ireland, if the quality of the training is great.

rogerg
12th Feb 2009, 10:41
A friend of mine did it at OAA, hadnt nothing but good things to say about it. Im not sure what the price is like though.

£2995 for the generic 737

Frankly Mr Shankly
12th Feb 2009, 11:26
Thanks "lad"! The Dublin thing was rather tongue in cheek but never mind.

Depends if you want to spend more or less on it, and you get exactly the same tick in the box. And I'm sure most of the courses tick all the right things that are meant to be covered. And the skills you talk about, well I think they develop with experience of multi-crew flight when you get on line, not learnt on a two week add on course.

The videos and discussions about nasty accidents where there was a breakdown of CRM (Tenerife etc etc) are useful and interesting, but as for learning new useful skills, that's more on line than on a course. Only in my opinion.

rogerg
12th Feb 2009, 12:07
And the skills you talk about, well I think they develop with experience of multi-crew flight when you get on line, not learnt on a two week add on course

Before you can get the "on line" experience you have to get a job.
Doing the MCC in an airline type enviroment might mean that you get the job rather than someone who has just ticked the boxes.

Only my opinion tho.

Frankly Mr Shankly
12th Feb 2009, 12:40
"Doing the MCC in an airline type enviroment might mean that you get the job rather than someone who has just ticked the boxes"

Yes but in order to pass the course, Im sure most courses are similar in so much as you both have to act as PF, both as PNF, co-operate well with each other, all courses probably discuss similar issues and accidents, thus you come out with an MCC that is acceptable to the employers.

Dont get me wrong, any course related to our profession should be undertaken seriously and with gusto, which I always personally do.

However all Im trying to say is it is still a tick in the box, wherever you do it. You can do it for more money, or less, using maybe more complex equipment or not. The emphasis is rightly on CRM and MCC, not a type rating. Therefore to me personally it makes more sense to do it as economically as possible.

Ive yet to hear of an employer that really cares where or what it was done on as long as you've got the certificate.

I'm not advocating you just turn up and don't put any effort in, far from it, I just don't see the point in paying more for what is essentially an add on must do course. But as always, it's all down to preference and choice. One man's meat etc etc....:)

fabbe92
12th Feb 2009, 12:46
Hey. The Ryanair MCC is the only MCC course at my school. So why go abroad when you can do a MCC that may give you better chances of a job with Ryan? 4000£ I can afford so.

preduk
12th Feb 2009, 13:36
Fabbe, I have the feeling that all you have done from our recent conversation is swapt from BA to RYR, stop picking the airlines! :ok::=

slipper 1
13th Feb 2009, 15:12
European at Bournemouth (01202 581111) do a good course for under £2400 on the Boeing 737 200. Proper six axis simulator and fun to fly! :)

ford cortina
13th Feb 2009, 16:34
Ah memoires of Bournemouth, did my MCC there on the Tristar, great days.

Enjoy the 200, it's a lot easier to fly than a Classic upwards. No pitch/power couple to worry about, or so I am told. Gives you an insight to what a 73 is like as well. The Original (100/200) has a similar layout to the Classic, though not the TV screens though.
Good Luck
FC

ford cortina
13th Feb 2009, 16:43
These guys do a good MCC at a bargain price.....
Early cockpit simulator - Japanese pilot gets off to a flying start - on Bore Me (http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/pilot-trainer-p1.php)

:ok:

rogerg
13th Feb 2009, 17:51
No pitch/power couple to worry about, or so I am told.
How can a 737 of any type not have a pitch/power couple with the engines mounted where they are??

ford cortina
14th Feb 2009, 14:25
Welllllll the Classic and NG, 300 series onwards have the CFM-56 Which is High Bypass Engine, its bypass ratio is from 4.9 upwards. The Original has a smaller bypass, 1.10 max, the engines are taken straight off the 727, which is a much more docile aircraft, or so I am told.
The Orignial's max thust was 17,400 lb.st while the Classic starts at 18,500 lb.st.
I have not flown a Original, but I have been told by ex Original drivers that the power is much less noticable than on the Classics onwards.
Happy flying
FC:ok:

bfisk
22nd Feb 2009, 14:47
Well I would imagine, without having any 73 experience, that the JT9Ds (??) on the 732s vs the CFM56 on the classics onwards, make the difference. As far as I know the CFM56 pods places the centre of thrust further below the CG than the JT9D does, and the CFM56 is also tilted slightly nose up, both factors contributing to pitch-up moments when increasing thrust....

...or am I way off here, 737 crews?

slipper 1
27th Feb 2009, 12:49
Having operated both aircraft, there is very little difference in terms of thrust/pitch couple. EAAC are now also offering MCC courses on their B747-200 Simulator.

Lawn Mower
27th Feb 2009, 21:43
fabbe92, is the "Ryan Air MCC" really £4,000? That is disgusting. Yet more imoral exploitation of us wannabes' desperation to get work!

Dreamshiner
27th Feb 2009, 22:22
An odd question to ask an online forum with thousands of conflicting ideas and opinions. However a little research never harmed anyone, you'll find an adequate number to compare here (courtesy of the search function):

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/222133-multi-crew-co-operation-courses-mcc-providers-facts.html