PDA

View Full Version : SAA Executive Committee

Padawan Learner
10th Feb 2009, 16:54
Heard a story that the SAA board of directors has suspended the entire executive committee??? Including Mr. Ngqula. Couldn't find anymore than this on the net:

"The board of national carrier South African Airways (SAA) has agreed to establish a committee to investigate claims made against CEO Khaya Ngqula, it said on Friday.

The South African Transport and Allied Workers Union handed in a dossier of complaints against Ngqula to the Minister of Public Enterprises, Bridgette Mabandla.

SAA said that the board viewed the allegations in a serious light. The committee’s mandate would be to immediately engage an independent, external agency to conduct an in-depth investigation into, amongst others, the issue of retention premiums; alleged issues of a conflict of interest; as well as the issue of procurement.

“The board has noted that Ngqula has welcomed the investigation, and further that he insisted that it should be undertaken. Ngqula and members of SAA’s executive committee have undertaken to cooperate fully with the investigators,” the company said in a statement.

Board chairperson Jakes Gerwel has informed the Public Enterprises Minister of the board’s decision."

Any truth in this?

Q4NVS
11th Feb 2009, 18:54
Johannesburg - Embattled state airline South African Airways (SAA) said on Wednesday it had put its chief executive on special leave pending the outcome of the investigations of mismanagement and conflict of interest against him.

SAA said in a statement that it is "negotiating further with" chief executive Khaya Ngqula. "An acting CEO is being appointed", said the statement. No acting chief executive has yet been named, said spokesperson Robyn Chalmers, because the process of selecting an actor is currently under way.

Asked what is being negotiating with Ngqula, Chalmers said "the details" but couldn't go into detail. "That's our position for now and we have nothing further to add at this stage."

She couldn't say when the investigation was expected to last as the terms of reference of the probe into Ngqula's have not yet been approved.

In his 2009 budget speech, Finance Minister Trevor Manuel allocated a further R1.6bn to aid the loss-making airline in its turnaround.

- Fin24.com

So the plot thickens...:zzz:

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Feb 2009, 04:30
Special leave? That would be a holiday on full pay with no loss of privileges while negotiating the multi million Rand golden handshake to clear the way for the next trough snuffler to take his turn at the gravy vat and fill his pockets. It'll happen just like the last time and the time before that....

Cynical? Moi......?:hmm::rolleyes:

thincatblue
12th Feb 2009, 04:38
I agree with SRT- as long as SAA stays as a semi/quasi goverment institution with the associated political meddeling and prescriptions of BEE and AA (especially in the management structure) SAA will never achieve its true potential and unfortunately the tax payer will bear the brunt of next 'cronie' appointment.

skyloone
12th Feb 2009, 11:26
When will these guys get it... airlines are a luxury governments cannot afford. Most governments worldwide have an appalling record in the airline trade. When will they learn that their job is to regulate safety matters etc.. and nothing else. Africa is also long overdue a change to carbatage and ownership laws. (mind you... so is the US on ownership). But then again, protected jobs for the boys seems to be the name of the game. Airports could do with a wake up call too. Had a recent visit to SA. Was staggered at the number of people hanging around on the ramp on a/c turnrounds and in the terminal not doing very much.

Q4NVS
13th Feb 2009, 18:24
News24

Johannesburg - South African Airways (SAA) announced on Friday that Chris Smyth, general manager of operations, had been appointed as acting chief executive officer (CEO) of the airline.

Earlier this week, the airline announced that its CEO, Khaya Ngqula, was on "special leave" while an investigation is conducted into claims of alleged mismanagement.

Smyth has been at the helm of the critical area of operations for almost two years. He joined the airline in May 2007 from Virgin Nigeria Airways where he was chief financial officer and a director of the board, and was previously group financial director of Kenya Airways during the turnaround of that airline.

"Mr Smyth is a pilot who has worked in the aviation industry for more than a decade, focusing particularly on financial issues, and his in-depth knowledge of the industry will stand him in good stead in his new acting position.

"The shareholder and the Board have expressed full confidence in Mr Smyth, and the Board and executive team will give him their full support," the airline said in a statement.

Gaining momentum...:ok:

thincatblue
14th Feb 2009, 07:10
This man has my full support - comes from an aviation background with some hard time at the 'coal face'. Not some goverment appointed lackey that stubled upon a MBA/doctorate and now thinks he know it all in aviation. Chris can only improve on what has been happening at SAA, lets keep our fingers crossed!

jbayfan
14th Feb 2009, 08:38
Quote from one of the other aviation websites:

Chris is a genuine guy but tends to be a little emotional and often reveals his hand when he should keep it covered for a little longer. However, he is honest, hard-working and certainly not out to enrich himself with a slew of outside business interests. However, I doubt he will be in the position very long and I predict Khaya will be back in the not too distant future.

To be honest, I have had dealings with Khaya and he has come a long way. He has learnt humility, finally knows quite a lot about how airlines operate, and has a decent team of managers working in critical departments, most of whom are not affirmative action appointments. He appointed Chris, he appointed Stefan and he allows them quite a lot of discretion.

Most importantly, he has managed to do something no other CEO has ever done - he has locked the pilots into a 12 year wage deal which benefits both the pilots and the airline. SAAPA will be twiddling their thumbs for the next 12 years, unless the dreaded "F" word rears its ugly head.

Khaya certainly knows how to enrich himself but it must be remembered that he came to SAA R200 million strong and had many business interests prior to arriving at SAA. He is also part of the Black "Elite" and they all use networking and influence to further enrich themselves. Khaya just happens to be very high profile and an easy target. I don't like him but I do admire him.

Bergie
14th Feb 2009, 13:46
Khaya is what he is, a greedy self obsessed twit, with absolutely no concern for national carrier. All these post 94' multi million/billionaires belong to the same club. I would love to see a forensic audit carried out on the khaya's and the sexwale's of the world, but just like fatcat zuma, it will never happen. So the public must keep on footing the bill for the losses incurred by our politically appointed incompetent manangers. Next please............

Doodlebug2
15th Feb 2009, 17:37
Padawan, I only call some one "mister" if I respect him......