PDA

View Full Version : Unaccompanied Minors - Advice please

TightSlot
10th Feb 2009, 14:35
G'day All

I've been contacted by an acquaintance who is asking for some help with regard to his son travelling as an Unaccompanied Minor. The subject is an 11 year old boy, whose parents are separated, living in Auckland and London: The young man travels regularly between the two.

The question was asked "what works best to ensure a smooth trip?". Lacking experience in this, I thought it would be best to ask for advice in here, given the depth of experience that is normally available.

I'm hoping that answers might relate to the general procedures and tactics rather than an endless apocrypha of lousy experiences with specific airlines.

That said, your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated - the Father will be logging on here (and hopefully registering) to read your thoughts.

RevMan2
10th Feb 2009, 15:14
Through ticket, no interline transfers.

Take your pick - NZ, QF, TG, EK, SQ.....

boardingpass
10th Feb 2009, 19:16
Look for direct flights or with as few changes as possible. Bags will need to go straight through obviously.

James 1077
10th Feb 2009, 19:26
I was a frequent UM from age 9 upwards.

From Auckland to London your best bet would be Air NZ on a through flight. He'll have to get off the plane when it stops but there is no wandering around from gate to gate.

Although anything that had few stops and no interline changes would also work well.

Oh, and don't worry about it too much - by the time he has done the trip a couple of times he'll know what to do and will be complaining about having to go UM anyway!

Hartington
11th Feb 2009, 04:16
If using Air NZ I would recommend NZ38 via Hong Kong rather than NZ1 via Los Angeles. Saves having to deal with US immigration (yes, I know it's a through flight but that's the US for you). In fact avoid any route involving travelling through or over the US just in case (which would rule out Canada).

Final 3 Greens
11th Feb 2009, 05:54
The other posters make very good points.

If you look at the experience UMs are well looked after onboard, as you will know better than most ;)

IMHO, the probability of it going pear shaped rises on the ground, so minimising this potential failure mode makes sense.

As few stops involving getting off the aircraft as possible, try to eliminate changing flights and no interline changes, all previously suggested make total sense.

Hope it goes well for him.

BelArgUSA
11th Feb 2009, 08:13
Suggestion -
xxx
Get a transparent plastic pouch (good quality) hanging around his neck.
Containing air ticket, passport, and list of phones to call (DEP + ARR points).
With my airline, parents of UM can go inside airplane, for departure.
And be at the gate for arrival. With LHR security... Probably not...???
xxx
Flight attendants know what to do with Junior Expert Travellers...
Often had some on my plane. They often came to help me fly the plane.
I do not think you object that I disregarded "access to cockpit" rules.
Then, when tired to tell me where to turn to, they go to galley to help.
I am certain one flight attendant will "adopt" him for the flight.
They often have toys or treats for kids, i.e. model plane...
xxx
No interline - right. Either Singapore or Los Angeles are fine for stopover.
Generally a station assistant will remain with him the whole stopover time.
Have a good trip, and no worries.
xxx
:ok:
Happy contrails

BladePilot
11th Feb 2009, 08:30
Ensure they have sufficient oil in their Davy Lamp and spare batteries for their Pit Helmet light but they'll have to leave the Canary at home due to quarantine requirements:ok:

sorry just couldn't resist.. now where's the Exit?

PAXboy
11th Feb 2009, 10:21
I have only once had to collect a UM (12 yr old niece) and was disappointed with the airline. I won't bore you with that, as it is not relevant to this route. But I decided that, if I had to collect a UM that I would want more from the carrier.

Fine about check-in by adult but, I want the airline to to ensure that the UM directly meets the collecting and adult, recognises them and goes to them willingly. Whilst this other carrier did a good job throughout the flight with the UMs on board (she said). Once they were through Immigration and luggage - they were told, "Just walk through that corridor and your family will be waiting outside." What if I had not been there? Delayed? A 12 year old girl would have been wandering in LHR T1. I have no doubt that she would have found the Information desk but - many children would not be able to do that.

Bear in mind that I am not a parent so have not travelled with children and am doubly anxious when transporting them on behalf of family or friends. I will tell all my friends not to send UMs on this particualr carrier again.

I thought that an airline ground rep would locate me, bring the child with them, verify my identity and ask me to sign a form. Maybe I was expecting too much? Maybe other carriers do do that?

RevMan2
11th Feb 2009, 11:29
Good point, Paxboy

Have a contingency strategy, write it down so that the kid can understand it and go through it with him to make sure he understands it.

Such as " When you get to HKG and change planes, go up to the stewardess when you leave the aircraft and say "I'm an Unacccompanied Minor. I have to change onto flight XX123. Where do I have to go and what do I have to do?"

"If you get to AKL and there's no-one to meet you, go to the Information Desk and say "I'm an Unacccompanied Minor, I'm supposed to be met by XXX, he/she's not here, please call them at this number"

Do this for every step of the journey where there's a process change.

It really works. I once sat next to Ludmilla, a Russian lady from St Petersburg who had flown LED-AMS-SIN on her way to CHC to visit her daughter and grandchildren.

Not a word of English (I interrogated her with sign language about caviar and suchlike in her luggage, filled out her Ag & Fish and Immigration forms and took her through Customs) but someone had minutely documented every step of the way in Russian with graphics of significant signage in English and lists of the right questions to ask.

She'd got as far as SIN without mishap, so it works.

TightSlot
12th Feb 2009, 09:04
Thanks everybody - good stuff here, as expected.