PDA

View Full Version : Historic Flights

ian16th
10th Feb 2009, 14:23
In February 1959, I was assigned to 214 Sqdn of the RAF. At that time the Sqdn was carrying out trials with Cobham’s ‘probe & drogue’ re-fuelling system. These trials were multi-faceted, we obviously wanted to find out if the system was practical, but we also wanted to find out what we could do with it. To this was added the ‘deterrent factor’ of letting the Warsaw Pact know what we were capable of. Strange, but sometimes you want the enemy to know what you are proficient of.

The trials were ultimately successful, and 214 Sqdn became the RAF’s 1st operational ‘Tanker’ Sqdn. I can’t remember the exact date that we became ‘operational’, probably late 1960.

During this period we did a number of long non-stop flights. This was to evaluate the newfound long-range capability. We were of course testing the A/C beyond their original design specification and we were taking our aircrew to new physical limits.

On June 18th a flight to Johannesburg was the 1st non-stop flight between UK and the then Union of South Africa, as such it was a significant event in the history of aviation. A month later a longer flight to Cape Town was carried out. This year is the 50th Anniversary of these events.

The captain of both of these flights was our O.C., Wg. Cdr. Mike Beetham DFC.

Wg. Cdr. Mike Beetham had an illustrious RAF career. As O.C. 214 Sqdn he had a DFC from flying Lancaster’s during WWII. For the successful completion of the flight re-fuelling trials he was awarded the AFC. He ended his career as, Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Michael Beetham, GCB, CBE, DFC, AFC, DL, FRAes. He had this rank and the position of Chief of the Air Staff, in 1982 at the time of the Falklands War, when an Avro Vulcan flew from Ascension Island to drop bombs on Port Stanley; at the time this was the longest operational flight. It requires 22 in flight re-fuelling’s to take place, most of them Tanker-to-Tanker.

Being probably the only guy that was on the Sqdn. at that time, who is now resident in SA, I am probably more aware of the event than other mortals. As a result I am attempting to create interest in commemorating these flights.

I have raised the matter with the local press, the RAF Association, SAAFA, Cobbham Plc, RAF Marham and the SAAF Museum.

The only positive responses has been form the SAAF Museum and the 214 Sqdn Association. Every other organisation has shown a distinct lack of interest and failed to even acknowledge my approaches to them.

Via this forum can I appeal for any suggestions on what can be done in an attempt to publicise and commemorate this historical aviation event?

Shack37
10th Feb 2009, 14:41
Ian16th

As someone of a similar generation I wish you well in your endeavours and I hope you generate enough interest in this achievement to encourage a memorial to it. It's possible that some of the organizations mentioned find it outside their remit but this does not excuse the lack of a courteous response.

s37

BEagle
10th Feb 2009, 14:59
1 May 2009 is the 25th anniversary of the VC10 tanker in service with 101 Squadron. The squadron used to have links with South Africa and, of course, Beetham was the CAS who was involved in OP CORPORATE - during which a 101 Sqn crew flew the first BLACK BUCK mission against Stanley airport.

I don't know whether anything is planned to mark 101's first 25 years with the VC10 tanker - perhaps you might try asking them?

ian16th
10th Feb 2009, 16:26
BEagle,

The 214 Sqdn Assoc is dedicating a Memorial in July. Sir Michael is the Associations President and they hope to get him to speak of his flight to 'The Cape' as the planned dedication is on or about the 50th anniversary of that flight.

I seem to be the odd one as I believe that the 1st non stop flight to South Africa was the more significant event. :confused:

Art Field
12th Feb 2009, 10:30
Ian16th

I joined 214 Sqn in 61 which may mean we crossed paths. By that time Wg. Cdr. Peter Hill had taken over from Wg. Cdr. Beetham but the squadron was still involved with long distance flights including Vulcans of 101 Sqn flying non-stop to Australia, being refuelled by us. Strangely I was on 101 Sqn, then as now with VC10s, when the OC, Wg. Cdr. Jim Pritchard (also ex 214) flew non-stop to Australia again to celebrate the event 25 years on. I picked up the aircraft in Singapore and continued it's round the world journey, albeit now staging through boring places like Hawaii.

I wish you well with your attempts to celebrate the South African flights, I fear you may find it an uphill task.

Mick Strigg
13th Feb 2009, 18:02
Talking about Historic Flights...............................link (http://www.royalnavyhistoricflight.org.uk/home/)