PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking the Yaesu

kleintjie
10th Feb 2009, 11:21
Hi guys,

I did do a search of the forum but couldn't find anything...also am not too sure if I am posting this in the right section of the forum, mods, if I am wrong, please move it.

I am looking for help in unlocking my Yaesu VX-7R tx/rx radio that has been tx locked. I got it in Hong Kong from a mate who operates up there and now have it back in Africa with me.

Would be great if someone can give me a hand in unlocking it...

Thanks for your time :ok:

frostbite
10th Feb 2009, 11:50
Have a look on Yaesu FT-950 (FT 950 FT950) transceivers mods reviews software and diagrams (http://www.ham.dmz.ro/)

Or perhaps mods.dk - Modifications for radioamateur (http://www.mods.dk/)

will have an answer.

Keef
10th Feb 2009, 16:04
TX-locked in which way? Won't transmit at all, or won't transmit on some frequencies? I've come across quite a few handhelds that can receive on a lot more frequencies than they can transmit on.

I'm not sure where the law stands these days, but I'm pretty sure there are restrictions on owning transmitting equipment unless you have the relevant licence.

kleintjie
11th Feb 2009, 07:48
Thanks for the help guys - will follow up on the links.

It can't TX at all - I personally do hold the appropriate licences to TX on airband frequencies, so it should be fine from a legal point of view. Apparently from the mate I got it from in Hong Kong it is illegal to own a handheld transmitter there, hence the fact that it is locked.

edit: I found the appropriate guide on that link that was provided, many thanks.

To clarify - it CAN tx on non airband frequencies, it has only been locked on the airband ones.

Thanks again.

Keef
11th Feb 2009, 18:53
Check the spec first: I'm pretty sure that model transmits on 50, 144, and 432MHz, as an amateur band device. If so, it's transmitting FM, and airband is AM. Even if it would transmit on airband (I suspect it can't), FM is no use.

I have a similar handheld (Kenwood TH79E) which transmits on the amateur bands (only) but receives on just about any frequency in the VHF/UHF spectrum.