PDA

View Full Version : UK Visas for Saffers

three eighty
10th Feb 2009, 03:26
Breaking News on ********* ..The final verdict on Visa's for Saffers to the UK ..[/B]

Here is the correct story ... straight from HM Home Office :

Quote:
Today, Monday 9 February, Phil Woolas announced amendments to the Immigration (Passenger Transit Visa) Order 2003.

From 3 March 2009, nationals of South Africa who do not have evidence of previous travel to the UK in their current passport, in the form of an entry stamp, will be required to obtain a valid visa prior to travel to the UK.

Nationals of South Africa will require visas to enter the UK and Direct Airside Transit Visas if they wish to transit the UK airside, with effect from 3 March 2009, unless they are lawfully resident or otherwise exempt.

1.The introduction of the visa requirement will commence with a temporary exemption for those South African nationals who can evidence having previously obtained leave to enter the UK in their current passport. This means that from 0001 hours (GMT) on 3 March, those passengers who do not have a UK entry stamp or valid entry clearance in their current passport will need to obtain a visa to either enter or transit through the UK. Previous travel in an old passport will not meet the exemption criteria and a visa must be obtained in the new passport.

2.This exemption criteria will continue until the middle of 2009, at which point all South African nationals who are not lawfully resident or otherwise exempt will require a visa to enter the UK, irrespective of previous travel history or the purpose and duration of the stay. Once that date is confirmed, a further announcement will be made.

3.Because of the advance notification, there is no transition period and all passengers visiting or transiting the UK on or after 3 March who do not meet the exemption criteria will need to have obtained the appropriate visa. Those who do not have evidence of previous travel in their current passport and do not have a visa should be refused entry.

Also from 3 March 2009, nationals of Jamaica will no longer be able to benefit from the transit without visa concession, and will be required to obtain visas even if they are solely in transit through the UK and do not intend to stay.

Lastly, from 3 March 2009 nationals of Taiwan will no longer require visas for travel to the UK.’’

We will be sending out a letter to carriers clarifying the rules in the next day or so – visa requirements will also be introduced for Venezuela, Bolivia, Lesotho & Swaziland.

aintboeingaintgoing
10th Feb 2009, 09:07
Not good at all,

Really sad state of affairs……

:ugh:

flux
10th Feb 2009, 22:24
Agreed - How did we get here?

Arcla
11th Feb 2009, 06:48
From MWEB -

"In July last year the UK gave 11 countries six months to address certain concerns. The countries were Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Lesotho, Malaysia, Mauritius, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Trinidad and Tobago and Venezuela.

Along with Bolivia, Venezuela, Swaziland and Lesotho, South Africa did not meet the requirements.

New passport

Siobhan McCarthy, spokesperson for the South African Department of Home Affairs, said they couldn't comply with the requirements within six months due to, among other reasons, the necessary technology and training.

A new passport, which meets the international civil aviation standards, will be released in March."

It's amazing how our neighbours Botswana and Namibia managed to get it sorted. The Department of Home Affairs really have elevated themselves to a new level. Well done!!

unstable load
11th Feb 2009, 10:26
I smell a bit of ANC arrogance here, along the lines of "Who do they think they are to tell us....?"

Seems they can tell us after all. I wonder if anyone is going "Ooops, farkt that one up, we did, Eisch!"

three eighty
11th Feb 2009, 11:27
You would need a minimum of 2 brain cells to rub together to realise "you farkt that one up", so the short answer would be NO

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Feb 2009, 12:00
They're not the ones who have to cough up the bucks to get a visa. The party/govt/taxpayer pays for all their junkets.

soggyboxers
11th Feb 2009, 12:13
This is apparently a move by UK to protect itself against changing tactics by violent Islamic extremists.

According to Associated Press British security and intelligence officials have warned of an increasing risk from Islamic extremists using South Africa as a transit point and planning plots there. They have said future attacks on Britain could be directed from countries other than Pakistan — where dozens of Britons with family ties have traveled for terrorist training or have been linked to recent terror plots.

Officials have said terrorists and criminals are exploiting the availability of stolen or forged South African passports to gain access to Britain and other countries.

Siobhan McCarthy, a spokeswoman for South Africa's Home Affairs ministry, said steps have been taken to prevent corrupt officials issuing bogus passports, and to make the documents harder to copy.

Prosecutors in the London trial of several men accused of plotting to blow up at least seven trans-Atlantic commercial flights said last year that a suspect had flown into Britain from South Africa to lead the final stages of the plan.
Mohammed Gulzar traveled to Britain from South Africa via Mauritius in July 2006. Gulzar was acquitted on all charges over the plot, but law enforcement officials said the case highlighted the potential for terror suspects to use South Africa as a transit point.

Hobgoblin
11th Feb 2009, 12:26
So... a new passport is going to be released in March. Super. Just spent 13 months getting new passport and workpermits sorted out. No way I'm going through that again. Thanks heavens I got it sorted out before this happened though.

What a joke. Did they not listen when the UK told them to tighten their passport security standards?

Apparantly getting into the US on a SA passport is absolute murder these days. Anyone have personal experience?

I remember travelling in the bad old days of Apartheid how you used to get pulled aside at every single border control checkpoint and given the third degree. What a pain in the neck that was. Only country I never had any trouble with was Mexico. They couldn't have cared less what nationality I was. You had to press a button and if the light came on red you were searched, if it came on green you could go. Great system.

It seems no one could care about the Apartheid thing anymore (Austrian border officials still give me dirty looks though - I must look dodgy) but now anyone with a SA passport is suspect. Thanks to Osama and his mates.

Remember when sex used to be safe and travel used to be fun? :(

Arcla
11th Feb 2009, 12:38
"Thanks to osama and his mates"... Bru, more like thanks to Zuma and his merry band of twats. :(

Hobgoblin
11th Feb 2009, 12:50
Too true.

Seems that the only difference between the African politicians of yesteryear and those of today are the colour of their skins. The basic incompetence, crookedness, dishonesty and corruptness has not changed one little bit.

During my sojourn in Zaire I picked up a few local expressions. The one I remember best refers to politicians as flies on animal droppings. As in: the flies may change but the manure remain the same.

That about sums up what I think of any politician. I haven't yet met one that I would trust to babysit my kids, and I doubt I ever will.

fourgolds
15th Feb 2009, 09:57
A couple of us are going skiing next month in Switzerland.. A few Saffer mates are suddenly faced with this a new visa requirement for Switzerland as well. Off course we all booked, shared accomodation etc. Apparently they never needed one previously , but now they do!!!

Funny how the "free"world rewards a country for becoming a democracy and throwing away racist regimes.

Doodlebug2
15th Feb 2009, 10:02
Maybe the present government could be classed a rascist regime.......:E

south coast
15th Feb 2009, 10:41
Funny how the "free"world rewards a country for becoming a democracy and throwing away racist regimes

Didn't realise you needed to be rewarded for doing what was right and just...

Get over yourself fourgold, because SA gave up a racist way of ruling the country you expect the UK to 'look the other way' when there is a potential terror threat transitting through SA while using easily obtained fake passports?

The reasons for this is due to the inability of an African government, in this instance, SA, to govern with a 'tollerable' level of corruption (no government in the world is devoid of this problem, but there are varying levels) and I suspect that is why you are in the UAE.

Dont blame the "free" world for wanting to protect themselves.

Doodlebug2
15th Feb 2009, 17:29
Hey South Coast, unfortunately SA has not given up those ol' racist policies...they've just refined them... to become EE, BEE, etc. Same ol', same ol', pal. HO HUM, off to renew the good ol' brit passport for the family! Damn, did this twenty five years ago to stave off the infidels!

three eighty
16th Feb 2009, 05:57
Although he does sound a little on edge due to an impending Wedding:D(oops did I let the cat out of the bag), I have to begrudgeingly agree with South Coast on this one.
If we are going to point fingers at anyone, then we need look no further than the bufoons that claim to govern SA at the moment. If the Dep. of Home affairs hands out SA passports to the highest bidder then I guess its up to the various "free world" embassies to try sort out the good from the bad. Sadly this just results in increased hassle and bigger expense for legitimate travellers from SA.
I think it can be said with a reasonable amount of certainty that the list of countries requiring visas for the green passport is only going to grow...

aintboeingaintgoing
16th Feb 2009, 08:03
I have heard a rumour that this new visa is going to cost £65 at today’s exchange rate it equates to about R930…

As if it was not expensive enough for South Africans to travel to the UK now you have to add another R1000 odd onto your trip before you leave….

:\

fourgolds
16th Feb 2009, 08:07
OK South Coast I will conceed on this one. Its just sad to see so many good folks . My Zim and Saffer mates , getting screwed.( MRs is a Saffer) One cannot blame the UK for protecting themselves from the war on terror bla bla. But using the same logic , then the Americans should sanction all Britts ( as some of the Guantamao bay ( ex inmates , therefore terrorists) were in fact also Britts !!! , or perhaps the Yanks should sanction Canada because a few of them were Cannucks !!! and even one Australian . But not a single Saffer .Its all double standards and we can all justify any action we see fit.

As for the Neutral Swiss , WTF !!!

Lets be real and not try and hide the real reasons under the disguise of the bloody war on terror. The truth is they are worried about illegal immigration , and defectors overstaying their welcome.etc Here we (Britts)have a right to take a tough stand ( hence the regulations). But lets say it the way it is.

The SA government has dropped the ball , no doubt . But why is so much money spent on Interpol , military intel , bla bla. When we have to resort to generic ( one policy fits all legislation). We plead our rights and freedoms , yet if they are taken away from others thats OK .

Perhaps our resources should look in house in the UK. Given that many of the recent 'attacks" on our soil were from " UK passport holders)

south coast
16th Feb 2009, 08:48
Fourgold...the Yanks do impose a tough entry process to the USA, even for their 'special relationship' brothers.

Not sure if you are aware, but we all have to apply online now 24 hours in advance now to enter on the visa waiver programme, they finger print us on entry and photograph us while we have to offer addresses and names of hotels where we will be staying.

In short, it is a pain, but a neccessary process.

16th Feb 2009, 14:10
fourgolds

Switzerland joined the Schengen Community which is why you need a visa, not because they suddenly thought of targeting or punishing South Africa.

LongJohnThomas
17th Feb 2009, 13:41
fourgolds,
Just to add.
Three years ago, the United States gave Britain 13 months to comply with the digital data readable passport system. If at the expiration of the time given a Britt attempted travel to the U.S., the individual/s would be denied entry.:uhoh:
All this was before the visa waiver system. Loop holes are been closed in the name of Homeland security regardless of which country may be concerned.
I bet in the near future, they'll come up with something else to stop their dear Allies the British from entering the U.S. without some sort of documentation.
I'm still looking for the link to back this up.
When i do, I'll paste it.:ok:

soggyboxers
18th Feb 2009, 11:34
LJT,

'Twas not just UK, the USA required all visa waiver country passport holders to have a machine readable passport incorporating an electronic chip with biometric information on entry. Since last month all travellers from visa waiver countries are also required to have an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation - Online ESTA Application (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_cD90B504D-FEA0-8404-AC65-BFB01B3C701D_k03D2FCF4-D8C7-BEB8-07CD-3FCDDBBCA1E3))

fourgolds
19th Feb 2009, 11:14
agreed boys and girls. after the second drug bust of SAA crew. the SA government have now shown blatant incompetance. if you cant even search 14 crew ( with an advisory in place). you are clearly incapable of outsmarting organised crime/terrorism. after all my support to the saffers ( and I do feel for the good folks there). I can now not blame these governments for taking action. sadly i feel its going to get even more restricitive for them.

MartinCh
20th Feb 2009, 13:46
screw the tourist visa etc. Nothing special.

What sucks is that SA govt doesn't wish to reciprocate 'youth working hols visa' as UK immigration system changes brough up the requirement for reciprocity, so the WHV (UK version especially for SA nationals) for Saffas ends because SA govt wouldn't reciprocate.

IF they did, it would mostly benefit South Africans as most Europeans go to SA for casual travelling and occasional shift in bar or hostel could be option, not lifesaver.. Unlike it has been so for SA guys going to the UK - also taking advantage of changing to former 'HSMP' visa. The wording's different now.

So those few of us who'd benefit from having work permit for some instructing in SA etc, no easy way this way.
I'm bit 'old' for the early 20s FT Uni student gap year/fresh grad programme with SA I could do in the past thanks to other passport.

I'd swap WHV eligibility to NZ for SA. Oh, well.

Maybe if there's some sort of backlash (dream on) from people who are shafted by not being able to come to the UK on WHV, reciprocity would revive it.. Very, very maybe.