PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking for some tips please :)

jojo89
9th Feb 2009, 20:40
Hi everyone :)

I'm new to all this and would really appreciate some tips on how to get started, if you have any? I decided about a year or so ago that I want to be a commercial pilot. Having made that decision I managed to wangle 2hours on a Boeing 777 sim, which was AMAZING!! It completely reaffirmed my choice :) I then went for a wee weeks work experience at "highland airways" which was also amazing! I got to see the way things worked behind the scenes and in the cock pit. So i have done a wee bit of research into it and know that i definitely want to be a pilot, but because of my other commitments(school etc.) I haven't really been able to do anything really substantial to work towards it yet :{ Are there any "first steps" i should be taking?

jojo x

preduk
9th Feb 2009, 20:53
All the questions and answers are here buddy:

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

If you have any problems with questions (Other than those answered) speak to us and we can help out.

For the time being, work on getting your grades to the best you can and keep doing the work experience it will come in handy.

JohnRayner
9th Feb 2009, 20:54
Check out the stickies at the top of this forum. Do it over a couple of beers, there's loads of good stuff in them! :ok:

JR

Frankly Mr Shankly
9th Feb 2009, 20:57
Hi Jo, maybe a good move to go to your local flying club and look into having a trial lesson, bit different to the 777 sim granted. If you enjoy it, chat to an instructor about the PPL, you dont have to do it there but doesnt do any harm to pick your instructor's brain while you're there.

Maybe get your PPL, and start from there. And this forum is always good for info etc. As Im sure you're aware, the commercial job situation aint too good right now, but that doesnt stop you planning ahead a wee bit.

That's probably what I would do first of all anyway, a trial lesson, take it from there. Good luck, keep us posted.

PS. If youre aim is to be a commercial pilot which it is, a class one medical is required from the CAA so that's important before you embark on any commercial course.