PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR passes

DarkSoldier
9th Feb 2009, 13:16
I am still quite some way away from doing my CPL and IR, however I was curious about the following....does it make a big difference whether you get a FTP or FSP or SSP on the CPL/IR?

i.e. is it something that future employers will specifically look at or is it a matter of just having the licence irrespective of the type of pass you have?

Thanks, DS

MIKECR
9th Feb 2009, 13:37
Most operators wont give a monkeys about the CPL pass. The IR is generally the 1 they are more interested in. Some of the online applications have various sections where you are expected to detail your IR pass(first attempt, 1st series, 2nd series etc). Theres also plenty operators who couldnt give a monkeys about the IR pass either...many wont even ask.

If your geting a pass either first time or within 2nd or 3rd attempt then generally i wouldnt worry. If it takes a good handful of attempts however to get through then questions may be asked.

nick14
9th Feb 2009, 14:08
I was asked at interview why I got a partial in my IR,

I would not have thought its an issue, if you have a reason for it and you can demonstrate in an interview what you learned. I learned that silly mistakes due to nerves early on should not be allowed to affect the rest of the flight.

The interview panel seemed to accept this answer.

In the IR a first series is a good result. If you have any hiccups out of the ordinary results in your training don't worry just think about the reasons behind them so you can explain them at selection.

Nick

dwshimoda
9th Feb 2009, 15:14
Some airlines are interested, but as stated above, in the main as long as you don't take 3 or 4 goes at it, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you do (aside from what it's costing you!) you need to think about whether you are really cut out for it, or if there is something in your training that is not right and needs correcting.

I failed my first time outright, and the passed my second time outright. When asked at interview, I told them my body turned up for the test but my brain didn't. That I didn't have to do any remedial training other than another "test profile" as a refresher, and then passed the test a few weeks later. Seemed to work as I got the job.

Everyone makes mistakes and every pilot I know describes flying single pilot IFR, and the IR test, as the most difficult flying / test there is. So I think they will always cut you some slack.

Then once you have a few commercial hours behind you, no one will ever ask you about it again anyway!

Good luck with the training. :ok:

DW.

G SXTY
9th Feb 2009, 19:10
Agree with all the above comments. A first time pass in the CPL or IR is a bit of a lottery, there are simply so many variables and opportunities to stuff things up. I managed a first time pass in the IR, but on another day it could have been a straight fail - good weather, luck and a very understanding examiner all played their part. We all have off days, even the best pilots make mistakes and airlines know this as well as anyone.

A first series pass (particularly in the IR) does indeed interest some airlines, but I suspect as much as anything else it's a filter to keep the number of applications down. One low hours CV is very much like another - everyone is highly motivated, willing to relocate and sell their granny for a first job - what else is there to differentiate candidates apart from their training record? That said, I know people who failed the IR outright and are now happily flying airliners - determination can get you a long way.

As other have said, by the time you have some decent commercial experience on your CV (e.g. 500hrs multi crew or an unfrozen ATPL) no-one will really care how or where you passed the exams - experience is much more important

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Feb 2009, 19:16
I managed a first time pass in the IR

Come on G-SXTY, how much did you pay him or her? ;)

G SXTY
9th Feb 2009, 19:25
I threatened to cry if he failed me. :ok:

dwshimoda
9th Feb 2009, 20:26
I threatened to cry if he failed me.

I very nearly did I was that disgusted with my performance...

As you said about luck, on the first attempt I had some bad luck (runway change whilst en route, then my airfield couldn't accept me back for 10 mins due to an emergency) but I should have been able to deal with all of that - I was just rubbish on the day, and deserved to fail. Second go, a bit of luck: cleared into the airways while still on the ground, relatively still wind day, etc. But I also flew a damn sight better.

All you Wanabees should absolutely strive for a first time pass, or first series pass. But it definitely isn't the end of the world if you dont get it.

DW.

Blueskyrich
9th Feb 2009, 20:55
What G-SXTY said (even if he works for a right shower :ouch: :} - how are ya?)

Sure, it would be great to get a first-time pass in both. I managed a first- series pass in both the CPL and IR, and was massively lucky to bag a wonderful TP job within a couple of months.

Looking back, a lot of the applications I made to various airlines asked the question about first-series passes (as opposed to first-time). It wasn't mentioned in the interview.

A lot of variables can and will affect the outcome of the day. Get a strong x-wind on your NDB approach, or a bout of nerves when doing your partial panel stuff and it all becomes a lottery.

My advice would be to keep your head down, keep calm, trust your education and believe you can do it. Generally, you'll not be sat with the CAA man unless they thought you could do it.

:ok: