PDA

View Full Version : How to write a 'normal procedures' checklist?

verticalflight
8th Feb 2009, 21:15
Hi all,

I’m on a quest to improve our checklist, specifically our ‘quick reference, normal procedures’ checklist (both its content as far as it’s permitted as well as its format).

The CAA has produced a good publication for emergency checklist (CAP 676 Guidance on the design, presentation and use of emergency and abnormal checklist). However I have found no guidelines for normal procedures checklist.

Does anybody have any guidelines, publication or even simply broad ideas that will take me through the good practice of designing a normal procedure checklist?

Regards,

verticalflight

9th Feb 2009, 06:23
Hi

See if the aircraft manufacturer has one produced already, even if it costs to purchase it, OR

Why don't you start with the Rotorcraft Flight Manual.

Write it out, then condense it and get it to how you want.

Do some dummy runs first and make sure it works prior to implementing it.

Cheers

paco
9th Feb 2009, 07:36
Please pay attention to good layout and use of fonts - if you PM me I can let you have a couple of samples

phil

DOUBLE BOGEY
9th Feb 2009, 07:40
It is often tempting to produce chacklists, for the best of intentions" that end up not relfecting the sequence of events as detailed in the Flight Manual.

It is important to remember that the Helicopter must be operated IAW the Certificate of Airworthiness (Or ARC these days) upon which it states that the helicopter must be operated withint the limitations and procedures in the AFM (Approved Flight Manual).

Therefore, it is vital that all checklists start with the sequence of events as published in the AFM, and once transcribed, additions can be made provided the overall procedure is not compromised and the intended addition considers first and foremost the impact upon safety.

By doing this, in the evnt of a whoopsie occuring, you have the comfort that you have followed the published procedures properly and this may give you imjunity from critism/prosecution in extremis.

Start with the AFM, then apply common dog, asking yourself all the time, IS THIS SAFE.

Hope this helps

MightyGem
9th Feb 2009, 08:03
VF, is this of any use? It's a page out of ours, which are based around the military ones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MightyGem/frc.jpg

Shawn Coyle
9th Feb 2009, 12:11
Double Bogey:
If you read carefully, the Type Certificate Data Sheet, which is what is referred to in the Certificate of Airworthiness, only contains limitations. Unless your country is different, there is no requirement to follow the procedures in the flight manual (either normal or emergency procedures).
In some countries, there may be other legislation that dictates using an approved checklist (in the USA, Part 135, for example). But that checklist doesn't have to be from the flight manual.
You are at liberty to make up your own checklists - my advice is to make sure you take into account the various Flight Manual Supplements that are fitted to
the aircraft you're flying.
Your other comments about common sense are perfectly correct.

paco
9th Feb 2009, 12:21
This is what I mean:

Before:

http://www.electrocution.com/checklist1.JPG

After:

http://www.electrocution.com/checklist2.JPG

Phil

GeorgeMandes
9th Feb 2009, 12:29
You are at liberty to make up your own checklists - my advice is to make sure you take into account the various Flight Manual Supplements that are fitted to the aircraft you're flying.

We did precisely that for the 407, starting with the manufacturer's check list, and cleaning things up to reflect our installed equipment and flow. For example, we have added an emergency float test and removed the particle separator line, since we have an IBF. Also moved the order of some items in the pre-start check list to make them more logical and reduce power consumption prior to start.

EN48
9th Feb 2009, 13:32
starting with the manufacturer's check list, and cleaning things up to reflect our installed equipment and flow

Ditto for the Enstrom 480B but with some innovative use of format and color. Not sure how to post an example here and preserve format, etc. PM me if you'd like to see the checklist in MS Word format.

EN48
20th Feb 2009, 18:07
Here is one that I have refined over the years - works for me. PM me if you'd like the complete checklist (in MS Word file).

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn264/sharkattack2347/nocl18103.jpg