PDA

View Full Version : To France with NPPL?

On Glide
8th Feb 2009, 19:22
Hi,

This has probably been answered before, but is it possible to fly to France in a group A aircraft, on a UK NPPL? I can't find much info on the web.

OG

TheGorrilla
8th Feb 2009, 23:41
No. It's a UK licence for flight in the UK airspce in simple single engine aircraft in day vmc only. Like the IMC is only valid in UK airspace.... OK.. Can of worms opened... Off you go chaps...!

tangovictor
9th Feb 2009, 00:38
correct info, nppl ( sep ) no you can't
nppl ( m ) yes you can
hence I brought a 3 axis microlight

Lister Noble
9th Feb 2009, 09:25
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you can with prior approval,or is that the Channel Islands?

Whopity
9th Feb 2009, 09:46
Put simply, you have a non ICAO licence therefore it is not automatically accepted by other ICAO States. However, if you write to the Aviation Authority of the State you wish to visit, then it is up to them whether they allow you to fly there or not. As most European States do not have such a robust system of Microlight licensing as the UK, they are happy to accept the UK Microlight rating as being at least equivalent to their own system.

The more complex area is the SLMG; the old UK PPL SLMG (40 hour) was an ICAO licence but the current NPPL (35 hour) version is not!

Rod1
9th Feb 2009, 10:21
The NPPL (A) does not ban flight outside the UK, it just does not give you the privilege by right. I am told a number of people have written to the DGAC and asked for permission and got it, so give it a try. The new European licence is based on our NPPL and this will allow flight in European airspace, but that will not be in until late 2010.

Rod1

trevs99uk
9th Feb 2009, 11:30
A friend of mine wrote to the French DGAC and has a letter saying they have no problems with him flying GA in France on the UK NPPL license.

trevor

140KIAS
9th Feb 2009, 13:13
Trevor - did any restrictions come with that. I have heard that its ok provided you have a CAA Class 2 medical.

I thought that in most instances folks go for a NPPL for medical reasons and if they could get a class 2 then they would probably have a PPL.

tangovictor
9th Feb 2009, 14:44
I think you can apply to each individual country, re nppl ( sep ) the C I's won't allow nppl either sep or m versions, and Eire doesn't recognise the medical , I also seem to remember that maybe Norway doesnt also, not 100% on that

BEagle
9th Feb 2009, 21:54
The new European licence is based on our NPPL

Sadly untrue. If, perish the thought, the current €uro-proposals for the so-called 'Leisure Pilot Licence' should ever become law, you will find that your flying will become more expensive than with a NPPL.

The reason being that the so-called UK 'representatives' (from the CAA) totally rolled over to the French. And thus became the first people in recorded history ever to have surrendered to the French...:ugh:

trevs99uk
10th Feb 2009, 10:03
I saw the letter. Alas it was in French
But i.m dead sure there was no medical restriction.

trevor

renrut
10th Feb 2009, 10:48
I thought that in most instances folks go for a NPPL for medical reasons and if they could get a class 2 then they would probably have a PPL

I had an ATPL with over 30 yrs flying but I am now retired. The expense of maintaining a Professional or Private licence persuaded me to go down the route to the NPPL. Licence for life and an annual medical declaration from a GP. Nowadays cost is everything.

On Glide
10th Feb 2009, 20:08
Thanks for the replies so far, I'll try writing to the DGAC and see what they say.

Re. NPPL vs. PPL, I had a PPL(A) which had lapsed for 6 years, and when I came to renew it I found that I could either fly ratty old PA-28s at Blackbushe for about £120/hr, for the PPL(A) renewal, or a brand new Rotax Super Falke at Lasham for £60/hr. I did my renewal (to NPPL-SLMG) on the Falke and then a conversion check ride in my RV-4 to get the -SEP rating on the licence. So much cheaper, and I didn't need to pay a CAA doctor for the Class 2, although I may have to in order to fly in France, we will see.

NPPL is a great thing, long may it continue!

Cheers, OG

barak
15th Aug 2009, 09:08
Does anyone have any letter/official acceptance from the French CAA allowing a flight into France on an NPPL (A) licence?

liam548
15th Aug 2009, 10:06
Didnt realise it was ever permitted?

barak
15th Aug 2009, 10:31
Hi
It isn't but there are so many tags on different websites saying people have letter of permission or know someone that has, so I wondered if anyone out there actually has one they could copy to me?

znww5
15th Aug 2009, 10:35
I was under the impression that whilst an NPPL(M) or (TMG) could fly to France, NPPL(A) holders had to request permission from the French CAA on an individual basis.

May change if the European LPL ever gets the go-ahead, but for now that's the down side of NPPL vs PPL.

No doubt others will be able to confirm or deny the above!

Whopity
16th Aug 2009, 13:28
I was under the impression that whilst an NPPL(M) or (TMG)No such thing as an NPPL TMG its SLMG. The old UK PPL SLMG was an ICAO licence (40 hrs) though the current one is not, however it seems to still be accepted as if it is. Many States still do not require a licence to fly a Microlight and are quite content with those who do have a licence. The NPPL with SSEA rating is not accepted outside the UK.

xrayspecs
3rd Sep 2009, 14:40
fly in france with nppl? yes you can..see link on bmaa website: 2003820953580.fr2002.doc which states:-

"all microlights normally used in a member state of the european community, or party to the airspace agreement of the eec, and identified or registered in that state, are authorised for private flight over french territory, provided that:
(a) the microlight holds a flight authorisation(permit to fly) granted by that state or its delegated authority, on the basis of its compliance with a technical standard for safety.
(b)the pilot holds a valid licence IN THE MICROLIGHTS HOME STATE!!. the microlight must be operated in accordance with the rules and limitations applied by the state of origin, and within the limits of applicable french rules."

the capitals and exclamation marks were inserted by me...i flew down to the cote d'azure last year, no problem

Choxolate
3rd Sep 2009, 15:02
fly in france with nppl? yes you can ....

all microlights normally used in a member state of the european community, or party to the airspace agreement of the eec, and identified or registered in that state, are authorised for private flight over french territory, provided that:
(a) the microlight holds a flight authorisation(permit to fly) granted by that state or its delegated authority, on the basis of its compliance with a technical standard for safety.
(b)the pilot holds a valid licence IN THE MICROLIGHTS HOME STATE!!. the microlight must be operated in accordance with the rules and limitations applied by the state of origin, and within the limits of applicable french rules.
But what about us that have an NPPL but do not fly microlights?

xrayspecs
3rd Sep 2009, 15:13
see my reply, but otherwise check bmaa :2003820953580.fr2002.doc

Barshifter
3rd Sep 2009, 17:06
But what about us that have an NPPL but do not fly microlights?

Convert onto a microlight?