PDA

View Full Version : Jodel crushed by rock - who's that plane belong to ?

Domi
8th Feb 2009, 16:40
Hello,

there is in Paris an expo of Jimmie Durham art.

We can see on a picture a brave Jodel completely destroyed by a rock in order to create what is called a 'work of art'. :suspect:

http://paris.16.evous.fr/local/cache-vignettes/L320xH211/photo_durham-dab2e.jpg

A big picture can be seen here : http://baimages.gulbenkian.pt/images/winlibimg.exe?key=&doc=55795&img=34418

Does anybody knows more of the story of this german Jodel ?

Pilot DAR
8th Feb 2009, 17:57
Perhaps this is actually "performance art", and the artist was fliyng the aircraft at the time the rock struck...

Pilot DAR

Them thar hills
8th Feb 2009, 17:59
It looks like a case of use the rear tank first, once airborne !
:bored:

Sir George Cayley
8th Feb 2009, 18:03
Proof that obscenity is in the eye of the beholder:{

Mods, No don't delete otherwise I'd be accused of censorship:=

Pointless waste of an airframe in my view.

Woder if the artist would pose for my next piece?

European Man Squished by Old English Steam Road Roller?

Sir George Cayley

TheGorrilla
8th Feb 2009, 18:15
Who's the artist? I'd like to throw some rocks at them!!

W:mad::mad::mad:ers!

Islander2
8th Feb 2009, 19:25
I'm appalled!

Why is it that pilots, of all people, who surely must have some affinity with artistic merit from the esoteric nature of their pastime, simply don't get it?

Damien Hirst, Tracy Emin, et al (amongst whose number we can now include the maestro, Jimmie Durham, apparently) are redefining what it takes to be a great artist.

:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

I'm grateful, it means my 15-year-old will be able to keep me in the way I'd like to become accustomed (heaven forbid he'd actually need any artisan talent)!

TheGorrilla
8th Feb 2009, 23:31
Cos it's a waste of a flying machine you muppet!

Like the same way that plonker hurst wasted a cows body... perhaps I should take a dump on a piece of cardboard and call that art too?

No? I dispair. Like with many modern artists pieces the first thing that enters my head quite often is: what a plonker! Who the fek can call that art and keep a straight face.

Sorry but... REAL artists = Turner, Rodin, Constable, Van Gough....

Pilot DAR
9th Feb 2009, 00:22
I was in Toronto last week walking past a building (which I suppose the architect figured needed some flair. So somebody obviously arranged for the placement of a piece of "art" to add flair.

This "art" would be best described as several pieces of 2" think steel plate torch cut offcuts, carelessly welded together. It now sat on concrete, encircled by a rust spot.

But you know what, they can weld together scrap steel all day long and call it art, and I'll hold my tongue, if "artists" will stop defacing someone else's hard work, particularly apparently violently.

To make it worse, the "artist" squased a homebuilt aircraft, so it's someone's labour of love being insulted, rather than mass produced aviation art.

This guy gives the term "artist" a bad name. I hope every time he flies, he gets searched, delayed, bumped, bad meals, and turbulance. Oh, and lost luggage!

Pilot DAR

aviate1138
9th Feb 2009, 06:27
The 'Artist' described. Anyone really understand what is being said?

" .......and since the ‘80s he was been creating strange objects, assemblages and installations that find their principal source in his Native culture, which he uses to deconstruct the stereotypes and prejudices of Western culture. For this reason he has already been recognized as one of the protagonists in the international current that has anthropology and so-called "postcolonialism" as its central moments of inspiration. He has participated in several international exhibitions, such as Documenta IX in 1992, and the 50. Biennale di Venezia. Ironic and shrewd, his work responds to the sceptisicm of Western culture for different beliefs and lifestyles with the recovery of materials and found forms: a plastic tube or a stick are not a serpent, but they can act as one, as they reanimate the situation they are placed in. Man is surely a part of nature that includes everything. However, postmodernly, couldn't the artificiality of certain materials that are integrated in his objects, the flirtation with kitsch of the common idea that one has of Natives and their culture, the history of the assemblage form, and the cross-reference with the "primitivism" of 20th century art, be keys to the irony with which Durham looks at himself as well? And doesn't this turn the prospective upside-down in an indication for the future instead of an impossible search for roots that are too buried by time?"

Maybe the 'Artist' should take the place of the Jodel?

Laundryman
9th Feb 2009, 07:12
Maybe he found an old plane that was never going to fly again, I'm sure caravaner's must feel the same way about the likes of Hammond continually blowing up caravans.

kalleh
9th Feb 2009, 08:47
This is what happens when you try to load you aircraft over MTOW

Adrian N
9th Feb 2009, 11:41
I quite like it, and also like his rock on a car:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/pascalbeausse/JimmieDurhamStillLifeandXitle2007.jpg

Slightly degenerate, perhaps, but interesting and memorable. Anyway, I'm off to see my Jodel now to promise it that I don't plan to crush it with a rock. ;)

mikehallam
9th Feb 2009, 13:36
Surely he was just doing the CAA (over) proof loading ?

Or was it just too big to fit inside on the parcel shelf ?

{P.S. if an older casein glue job & parked in the damp, it could have been a failed G.Visite scrapper}

Anyway I did something similar to mine whilst still sitting in it though the rock was a stout hedge & it did worse damage !

Pace
9th Feb 2009, 16:27
Art it is! aircraft? Not definately. Saw a piece of art where the artist had taken the moulding of a large white shark, made a fibreglass moulding of the fish and set it in the roof of a building.

The Shark looked as if it had fallen from the sky and embedded itself in the tiled roof :)

While it may have been a real aircraft then again maybe it wasnt?

Quite like that Salvador style art that puts something in a place you would not expect to see it in
Also had a farmer neighbour who had a field of blue flowers which looked like a lake. he cut two Dolphins out of sheet metal, painted them and fixed them in the field. The press pictured the scene and published it as art.

Pace

Domi
9th Feb 2009, 16:47
Here is the Jodel in flying condition : "Photo of Jodel DR.1050 D-EDNF s/n 34" (http://www.avions-jodel.de/Privat/Jodel/Pictures/UMalter/Jodel_DR.1050_D-EDNF_sn034_front_quarter_view_UMalter_200x102.html)

It was D-EDNF, s/n 034, a DR1050 type.

Does anybody have access to the german registration files in order to find the former owner and the selling conditions of this aircraft ?

Pace
9th Feb 2009, 16:58
Shame if a flyable aircraft was wrecked even for art :( Why not a mock up ? Lazy artist

Pace

miroc
9th Feb 2009, 17:08
Would be nice to send the "artist" a link to this discussion.;)

hoodie
9th Feb 2009, 17:42
Je ne parle pas Francais tres much, but the title of this piece is given as Encore Tranquillité.

Therefore, je pense he is just un NIMBY, and should be treated appropriately. :}

A and C
9th Feb 2009, 18:23
It takes a very sad person to see this as art.

Pace
9th Feb 2009, 18:44
It takes a very sad person to see this as art.

No it doesnt! The visual is art!

It does take a sad person to take a work of art like an aircraft which is a living flying masterpiece of art and reduce it to that :(

Companies use mock formula 1 cars as display objects but they are mock not real.

I do not understand this Artist having to use a real aircraft. he could have used his skills in building a mock and impressed more of us with his skills than pinching someone elses art (the aircraft) to use to stick his lump of rock on.

Pace

Domi
9th Feb 2009, 18:58
Here is the link of the Paris' expo : Jimmie Durham. Pierres Rejetées... - Paris.fr (http://www.paris.fr/portail/Culture/Portal.lut?page_id=6450&document_type_id=2&document_id=63445&portlet_id=15515)

There is a contact at the bottom of the web page.

For information, S/n 34 was former F-BJYC and was written off the french register the 30 september 1970 to be re-registered in Germany.

beatnik
9th Feb 2009, 21:57
Obviously his "art" is being appreciated by many, the gallery looks packed !

TheGorrilla
10th Feb 2009, 00:18
Art... With a capital F.

Adrian N... is that a giant turd on top of that cabrio? or is that a self portrait of said artist trying to drive away from the gallery?

For god's sake where has all the artistic talent gone???

For me, and a few others I'm sure, real art is a collection of fine brush strokes on a canvas or some carefully swept lines from a pallet knife. A sculpture in bronze, painstakingly fathomed by the artist after many hours of study, frustration, delight and self scrutiny. Not this ****e!

scooter boy
10th Feb 2009, 11:22
I went to the Tate modern in London a couple of years ago.
Some friends recommended it as a good place to spend a couple of hours.

What a complete waste of space that place is, there is nothing that vaguely resembles art in the entire building. How Damien Hirst and Tracy Emin can afford to feed themselves on the basis of selling their overvalued craftless tat is totally beyond me.

Tate St Ives is as bad.

Maybe I am missing something here but in my opinion the emperor of UK contemporary "art" is totally bollock naked.

Give me the Louvre any day.

SB

TheGorrilla
10th Feb 2009, 23:26
They say a poet needs the pain.... maybe this artist needs some.

Pace
11th Feb 2009, 10:46
Russ T If rather than using a real aircraft he had built his art using a mock aircraft would you feel any different?
Salvador Dali caught peoples attention by placing strange objects/ animals in strange situations? was his art?

The guy who built a replica of a white shark and placed it into his roof as if had fallen from the Sky Certainly got attention and was photographed extensively by the media. Is this not visual art in the same way as painted art?

As for this example I would have had a lot more respect had the so called artist created a mock aircraft. At least he would have shown some talent. The visual impact of the rock doesnt do it for me either.

Dont knock all modern art because it doesnt do it for you. I hate shakespeare plays and find them boring but that is my opinion. Others love them and consider them to be a work of art.

Pace

sunday driver
11th Feb 2009, 12:20
ART = something of no practical value, creating emotion in the audience.

QED

:)

Pace
11th Feb 2009, 12:58
something of no practical value, creating emotion

Sunday driver I thought that applied to anything from Yobs in the street to politicians not just art :)

Pace

sunday driver
11th Feb 2009, 13:23
Yep, both are good examples of the subset entitled 'Performance Art'
:cool:

SD

matt_hooks
11th Feb 2009, 13:56
Well, it definitely seems to be causing some kind of discussion, so, art or otherwise, it has had an impact on you all.

Someone felt strongly enough about it to post it, and then all the respondants agreed (or in rare cases disagreed) strongly enough to post!

DenhamPPL
11th Feb 2009, 14:06
What a bunch of humourless old codgers you lot are!

I don't think it's art but I can see some humour in it.

" Jodel crushed by rock - who's that plane belong to ? (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/361411-jodel-crushed-rock-whos-plane-belong-2.html#post4711444)"

translates as

Jodel crushed by rock - who is that plane belong to ? (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/361411-jodel-crushed-rock-whos-plane-belong-2.html#post4711444)

Surely some mistake?;)

Pace
11th Feb 2009, 16:19
Im not knocking all modern art (though if I was Id be perfectly within my rights, who are you to tell me otherwise?)

Russ

Totally agree and wouldnt want to tell you otherwise. Art is very personal what does it for one leaves another totally cold (a bit like women :)
So whatever turns you on?

Pace

thedoorman
1st May 2010, 15:50
Here’s some info about the plane, given by the artist in an interview:
“The airplane was in working condition and would have been sold in Africa – though it was considered unsafe for Europe”.
I won’t enter into discussion about what is art, but just to remind that contemporary “art”, according to today’s theorists, “started” with the Duchamp’s Fountain for an exhibition in a famous art show in New York in 1917…
Then everybody thinks what he likes :), no problems here

peace

Maoraigh1
1st May 2010, 19:48
A wood and fabric aircraft would be far more suitable for Europe than for Africa. Wood and fabric is rebuildable. If "in working order, but unsafe" means "needs a permit", it was mindless vandalism.
It might still be rebuildable.