PDA

View Full Version : How do I re-instate my licence in UK?

bobf
7th Feb 2009, 21:52
hi
I passed my PPL(H) many years ago and I have let my licence expire. I have been flying in the USA in R22s with an Instructor for the past couple of years, for pleasure, but not logging my hours.
I would like now to reactivate my licence. Is this possible? Can anybody advise me on what I need to do?

R44-pilot
7th Feb 2009, 22:39
I think i'm right in saying it all depends on how long ago you were issued it. Your best bet is to pop along to your local helicopter flight school and chat with them.

It is possible for quite a gap I think, maybe around the 10 year mark, but dont hold me to it. Someone on here will know more.

But as said, go have a chat to who ever you would go do your flight training or reval with.

ramen noodles
7th Feb 2009, 23:45
The instructor will have all your hours recorded, you certainly can validly rebuild that record.

In the US, your "renewal" is nothing more than a new physical and an instructor checkout. Your pilot's certificate never expires.

GoodGrief
8th Feb 2009, 04:56
Noodles, he wants a new UK ticket....

As R44 said, it depends on how long it has lapsed.
Ask the CAA and get in in writing.

Delta75
8th Feb 2009, 07:09
Bobf,
To apply for a renewal of licence you must firstly renew your type rating. The requirement for this will depend on whether your last rating has expired by more than 5 years.
Less than 5 years: Training as required, but a minimum of 2 hours and complete an LPC.
More than 5 years: Training as required, but minimum of 2 hours, complete type technical training and pass type rating ground examination and complete an LPC.
If it has expired by more than 5 years make sure you do your training at a school that is authorised for type rating training. (Not all are). I have seen too many people do training that does not count for licence renewal as they have gone to the wrong school.
Delta
p.s. and make sure you are still medically fit to fly.

bobf
8th Feb 2009, 09:38
Thank you all for your very thorough response.
I didn't want to mention it in my first post but it is over 15 years since I got my licence.
I will speak to a school and establish whether they can provide me with type rating training. I have to change type because there aren't too many Bell 47-Soloys around at training schools now!
I have booked in for my medical and I am currently desperately trying to get in shape.....
Thanks again, I'll come back and let you know my progress.