PDA

View Full Version : Eurofighter deployment

BEagle
7th Feb 2009, 19:14
This week, the Luftwaffe deployed Eurofighters of Jagdgeschwader 73 'Steinhoff' from Laage/Rostock on the Baltic coast to Yelahanka AB, Bangalore, using A310 MRTT Transport Tankers of the Flugbereitschaft BMVg, Köln/Bonn....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/A310MRTTEurofighter.jpg

Departed on time, arrived on time. Pretty damn good work for a first long range trail deployment with these new aircraft, in my view!

Well done, chaps!!

What a shame that the RAF didn't go for the A310 MRTT when it was on offer.

taxydual
7th Feb 2009, 20:18
The Hermann's are in Bangalore!!!

Any chance of getting them to target the call centre's please, pretty please, pretty pretty please.

All the same, BZ (or whatever the Luftwaffe equivalent is).

mr fish
7th Feb 2009, 20:51
sorry for the drift but, film THE LONGEST DAY, why are the munitions
BANALORE TORPEDOS named thus?
wanted to know for years!!!

Green Flash
7th Feb 2009, 21:01
The Bangalore torpedo was first devised by Captain McClintock, of the British Indian Army unit, the Madras Sappers and Miners at Bangalore, India, in 1912. He invented it as a means of exploding booby traps and barricades left over from the Boer and Russo-Japanese Wars. The Bangalore torpedo would be exploded over a mine without the sapper having to approach closer than about three metres (ten feet).

- if Wiki-wotsit is to be believed.

Archimedes
7th Feb 2009, 21:06
IIRC, because it was developed in Bangalore by a British officer (RE, I think) before the First World War.

Its original purpose was , I believe, for the clearance of obstacles - but after, rather than in the middle of, a battle. That's to say, after the opposing forces had moved on, or after the fighting had finished, you pushed a bangalore torpedo over/through the barbed wire entanglement, or whatever, lit the blue touch paper and then the fatigue party cleared up the small bits of the obstacle which were left so that the field could be returned to agricultural use (for instance).

Edit - Looks like Wikipedia agrees. Which doesn't mean I'm right...

midnight retired
7th Feb 2009, 21:25
Superb photo but that hose appears to be trailing rather close to the tankers tailplane .I wonder how the experts view it, paticularly so in turbulent conditions ?

brickhistory
7th Feb 2009, 21:44
Wonder if what would've happened if the Bf-109s coulda...?

Or if there are any retro-dreamers about?

What!? I'm just sayin'....:cool:

BEagle
7th Feb 2009, 21:56
Actually, the hoses are well clear of both the tailplane and the engine jet core - and they are very stable in turbulence.

midnight retired
7th Feb 2009, 22:23
Thankyou for explaining that. The description in Vulcan 607 of fuel transfer problems ,something that I was fortunate enough never to experience,has made me acutely aware of what you guys had to deal with.

D-IFF_ident
8th Feb 2009, 04:12
What's the pod Beags? Looks similar to a Mk32; expected to see 900s.

BEagle
8th Feb 2009, 07:23
They're FR 907E pods, D-IFFers. Similar to the pods on your jet.

The photo is a library shot taken during the clearance trials last year, incidentally.

BombayDuck
8th Feb 2009, 09:21
There are four of them at Yelahanka this year. First time ever for them. Sadly the Gripen (2007's most popular bird, among Super Hornets, Falcons, Gripens and MiG-35s) isn't deploying this time, they're saving money to be spent on competitive trials for the MRCA contract.

Wish I was back home, I'd have loved to see the Typhoons in action!