PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Air-India Boeing 747-300's

A300Man
7th Feb 2009, 17:34
I flew not so long ago on this aircraft, which is now being parted-out at Kemble in the UK. Farewell to the 743's! They were old yet trusted machines. Usually found on DXB and NRT routes of late.

Photo Air India Boeing 747-337(M) VT-EPX (http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=810315)

Thanks to the photographer and the original host site.

flankerpilot
7th Feb 2009, 19:08
Wow , they still fly the 300's ? I thought they had long gone and only the 744's were in operation.

Even more worrying are the fate of the flight engineers on those 300's who will now have one of the toughest job hunts :(

alouette3
7th Feb 2009, 20:07
Flankerpilot:

My info. might be dated but I do beliebve Air India had a deal with the FE's to keep them on the payroll on ground duties as long as they wanted. However, I would bet that most of those gentlemen have retired by now.
Alt3

MASsenger
10th Feb 2009, 07:24
This happened in MAS 12years ago. The F/Es who were below age 40 were retrained as pilots. Most are commanders on A330 now. The older guys retired. A couple are on ground duties,waiting for retirement anytime now. One very enterprising F/E did MBA and got a job as Flight Ops Director at Air Asia, till retirement. On the whole it worked out quite all right for all.

It all depends if one wants to sit on his butt and sulk away, or do something with life!

MASsenger
10th Feb 2009, 07:26
It all depends if one wants to sit on his butt and sulk away, or do something with life! Sky`s the limit, really!