PDA

View Full Version : Namibian Licence and Work Permit

anotheradam
7th Feb 2009, 09:20
Hello,
Would someone please tell me the process involved in converting a JAA CPL/ATPL to the Namibian licence, and what is involved in getting the work permit. Is it worth getting the 210 on the licence before coming to Namibia?
I need to know what I have to do and what the employer has to do? Do they need a police record like in Botswana?
Thanks

unstable load
7th Feb 2009, 10:59
You'd probably be better off without a police record.:E

I would say you should get all ratings that you will anticipate needing before you sally forth. There is a thread here about the similar issues in converting to the SACAA license and as far as I know the systems are the same/very close.

As for the Visa, it's a bit of a lottery. I have had one in a week one time and more than a month another time. You will be better off with someone who is in Windhoek doing the legwork for you rather than DIY, I think.

Anyone else agree/not?

anotheradam
7th Feb 2009, 11:14
Okay Mr Load,
I won't bring a 'police record', maybe supertramp or pink floyd!!
Thanks for the rest, interesting that it can be done at short notice (with right contacts/contracts etc).
Cheers

Voel
9th Feb 2009, 11:22
Hi there, try Windhoek Flight training Center at [email protected]. they accommodate those type of requestes. Do do all the staff from your flight check, arrange for your medical, arrange for your exams, i.e. airlaw and ROC:ok:

172driver
9th Feb 2009, 22:16
Just be aware, that if you have a CAA (UK) license, you have to fill in a few forms there and pay them some money, otherwise they don't even look at the validation/conversion request. They also quote 10 working days (whatever that is in the UK these days) to process. If applicable, sort this out before going to Nam!

Re ratings: I can only speak for PPL, but Nam validate anything you've flown in your logbook, so get a couple of 210 hours in before. Apparently (can't vouch for this), similar system to SA, IOW they don't have the 'class' of a/c the JAA and FAA have, but rather individual types. Fly all of them (172, 182, 206, 210) before applying and you should be fine. Do double-check this regarding CPL/commercial ops, though.

5Z4
17th Feb 2009, 13:58
There's a ICAO guy running around in windhoek at the moment and NOTHING works as it used to work.

Validation in 1 hour ?? Forget it.

I've been busy for a month now getting all paperwork done

al I do = :ugh:

ct2003
18th Feb 2009, 10:10
Once again, as already said in the SA validation posting, I'd like to point out that SA has now, since new Part 61 is in place, CLASS ratings. :D

Namviator
1st Mar 2009, 10:14
574, did you use to do it all in one hour? amazing innit...

DaFly
9th Mar 2009, 15:06
NAM still validates almost any licence around. Get the details fromm Windhoek flight training centre. C210 conversion might still be a lot cheaper here in NAM, specially if you can combine it with the test flight necessary for your validation. You will have to write the NAM air law exam, the q&a are floating around, no worries. Get a medical here in Windhoek.
For the actual validation paper, you will need a work visa (go through an agent, as this takes less time than queuing up at home affairs yourself. That is, after you found a job...
The lady at DCA is Juliana and she likes chocolate. That still speeds up any paperwork tremendously! And you might even pass the airlaw test at the first attempt.

Voel
11th Mar 2009, 08:19
C210 conversion might still be a lot cheaper here in NAM

Unless things have changed since I left the DCA, it is not possible to get a conversion if you do not have that type on your foreign licence.:=

Propellerpilot
11th Mar 2009, 10:55
What Voel says is correct. The reason why many of us do not have a problem doing a conversion in NAM is because a lot of instructors there are also SA licensed and can basically sign out any SA licenceholder - has nothing to do with NAM. As soon as the conversion was added that side, then flying that aeroplane on the validation is not a problem. People with other licences than SA, will not have such benefits because no instructor is availiable to them in Windhoek to do the conversion.

anotheradam
11th Mar 2009, 11:18
Hello Voel,
Thanks for your input, I will get in touch with Windhoek Training Centre. I understand I'll have to take Air Law, but what is ROC please? Also, from your second post am I to understand that an aircraft such as the C210 would have to be on my JAA lisence in order for it to be on the Namibian conversion? I have other aircraft on other African licences (eg C404,402, Baron on a Kenyan licence), can these aircraft be put on the Namibian conversion?Is there provision in Namibia to have the aircraft put on the conversion having flown with an instructor/examiner in Namibia? Sorry for all the questions, it is easier to get answer from you guys who have been through it than try to work it out from documentation. Thank you and everyone else for all the info.

Propellerpilot
11th Mar 2009, 12:32
It depends which licence you want to validate. A validation includes the types contained in the original licence. If you do not have C210 on any of those, that is what you have to get onto the licence you are intending to validate.

The C210 should be part of single engine piston class rating below 2.7t , which is why I do not understand why it is treated like a "type rating" down here. A technical exam with a differences training program is sufficiant to be signed out - but there is nobody authorized that I know of, that can sign you out on your original licence documents.

A validation is just a piece of paper from the DCA, that they grant you to utilize those privileges or restricted privileges for aircraft on their register. You can not add priviledges onto a validation not contained in the original document that it refers to. It is the exactly same if I validate my SACAA licence in a JAA country - can't do any ratings and the restrictions stated apply.

Of course all of these issues fall away, by aquiring a Namibian or South African licence - then you can receive the endorsment properly on either one of them in Windhoek because somebody authorized to do so is available locally.

172driver
11th Mar 2009, 13:04
As stated already in my post above, NAM validates anything that is in your logbook. Got it? If you validate a JAA license and have flown 210s (with requisite logbook entry), then you're good to go. So, to put yourself out of your misery, get a couple of 210 hours in wherever you can find one and then do the validation.

OTOH, if you want to live and work there, it might well be easier to get a NAM standalone license - at least you won't have to pay the CAA 30 (or 40, or whatever) quid just to look at your paperwork....

Caveat: my own experiences in NAM are from a PPL perspective, but AFAIK the procedure re a/c is the same.

Voel
12th Mar 2009, 11:59
Anotheradam, ROC stands for radio operator certficate. You get two types, i.e. restricted and general. You need the general if you want to fly commercial