PDA

View Full Version : Looking for low-cost PPL training

welrifai
7th Feb 2009, 01:24
Hi all -

I have done about 3 hours of training at Willow Air at SouthEnd airport south of London... wondering if there's a lower cost way of going for my PPL. What sort of qualification does a someone helping to train me need? Can they log hours for it? Any ideas on if it's possible to find someone who'd want to split the costs, or forums where I can go about searching for this special person :-)???

Thanks,

W

Whopity
7th Feb 2009, 06:48
To be trained for a licence you need a qualified instructor who has to operate within a Registered Facility (RF). Yes, the instructor does log the hours because the instructor is the captain of the aeroplane. Why would an Instructor wish to pay for your training; when the instructor has probably had to pay 4-6 times more than your PPL to qualify as an instructor?

There are two ways to reduce the cost:
a. find somewhere where the cost of operating an aeroplane is substantially less i.e. overseas. Always look for hidden costs such as landing fees, not all airfields add them to your bill!

b. Apply for one of the scholarships that are available e.g. Air League

julian_storey
7th Feb 2009, 07:14
I agree with the post above - you're really not going to find an instructor prepared to pay towards the cost of your training!!!

You could buy an aircraft or a share in an aircraft and learn to fly in that - but the training would still need to be carried out through a flying school (registered facility).

Mike Parsons
7th Feb 2009, 09:03
I suggest you go to your local airfield and get friendly with the locals there, or even post up on one of the 'spare RH seats available' threads hanging around on the forums. You will find that there are lots of people genuinely kind enough and just want to share their passion with you (someone who can appreciate it). So you can gain cheap flying with them in their aircraft/share. Why would this save you money?

Well if you do a PPL from scratch, then you are more than likely needing to take more hours than the 45 minimum therefore gaining extra experience that won't cost you £2 per minute with an instructor will be great for getting your minimum time down.

If you can't find anyone to fly with; you're not trying hard enough (obviously airfields differ, but where I am located there are friendly faces all around). Especially one person who gives up their time to help me with ground studies as well. He is a top bloke :)

Mickey Kaye
7th Feb 2009, 16:01
Fill Sutton C150 £78.00 - goes like the clappers too.

Sherburn AT-3 £90.00 - nigh on brand new.

Instructor 20 quid an hour.

But its cold up north.

Mike Parsons
8th Feb 2009, 15:27
Is that why the c150 goes 'like the clappers' - because it is cold! :}

RTN11
8th Feb 2009, 21:30
There is no such thing as cheap flying.

Accept it.

Mickey Kaye
9th Feb 2009, 07:48
Doesn't mean that you can't make the most of your money.

Full Sutton is within an hours drive of me and they charge 98 quid dual for an hour in a C150. Another place within an hours drive charge 150 quid dual for C152.

Big savings can be made.

RTN11
9th Feb 2009, 09:32
Make sure you stay focused, and read up on each training flight before you take it.

Always review what you did last time you flew before you take to the air again.

That way, you sort all your problems out on the ground, and pay for less time in the air.

flexy
9th Feb 2009, 09:33
Come down to Hunsdon (just nr Harlow) we have a great club, 3 instructors and some great aeroplanes. All the students that have learnt there have got loads of flying done (as well as their lessons) due to a great club environment and empty seats being seen as a waste!! Come down for a cuppa and we can take you up and show you how you can get an NPPL for a reasonable price with the prospect of lots more flying on top....

welrifai
9th Feb 2009, 09:37
is there a website for the airfield or training services?

flexy
9th Feb 2009, 13:20
just seach for hunsdon microlight club...

Rod1
9th Feb 2009, 14:45
Learn on a 3 axis micro. You will get the full licence in about ½ the time, the aircraft will probably out perform the 152 you would have used and you can convert to whatever you need later.

Rod1

flexy
9th Feb 2009, 15:43
Nice one Rod - the c42 will out perform a 152 in every respect and costs a fraction to operate and nicer to fly - and it has a very good heater!!

civil aviation
9th Feb 2009, 15:50
Remember that (only) £x per hour dual is one of the oldest deceptions because it is not the only price for passing. Apart from finding a rich 'uncle', via a gay contact magazine, Whopity points in the right direction so try
Ormond Beach Aviation - Home Page - Welcome! (http://www.flyoba.com), European Flight Training (http://www.flyeft.com) etc.
Go for JAA PPL and be wary of the spurious 'micro/NPPL/FAA etc and convert later lot'.