PDA

View Full Version : Converting From Canadian To Jaa

jacek_flying
7th Feb 2009, 00:29
hello everyone

first thread so please forgive for mistakes or things of that nature. I would like to know how convert a Canadian CPL ME/IR to JAA (europe). Would appreaciate any and all help I can get.

Thanks in advance
safe flying :ok::)

SAS-A321
7th Feb 2009, 12:21
Just want to add one question.

Will the JAA Class 1 Medical be an initial exam. or a renewal, as you already have a license?

Zyox
7th Feb 2009, 12:39
Converting Canadian to JAA requires the following (this is based on doing it in Ireland).

- Finish in Canada with full Mutli-IR CPL
- Sit and pass all 14 JAA ATPLs
- Sit the JAA CPL flight test with a minimum of 5 hours training. This must be done in a "complex" aircraft. This is different from the Canadian CPL test. I flew a Cessna 172-RG (retractable gear and variable pitch prop). Can't be a normal 152 or 172. You need to do this to have a JAA license on which to put your mutli and instrument ratings on.
- Unless you have 100 hours PIC of a twin engine... do the full Multi rating course again (7 hours twin)
- For the IR 10 hours sim and 5 hours in the plane. You qualify for these reduced hours
- Do a Multi-IR flight test. You can do these seperately if you want or together.

So yeah... bit of work :/

And the JAA class 1 medical will have to be an initial.

Skydrol Leak
7th Feb 2009, 14:39
I agree with Zyox in most part. For me the road was not so complicated as largely depends on where in JAA you do your training. Initialy i wanted to do it in the UK,but i have change my mind since every school i went to wanted me to do appx.15-20 hrs of flying including ME wich can be quite costly.
Instead i took alternative route and did it in my home country where it took me only 5hrs to convert my licence into JAA one. It is very dependant on what school you chose to use as you know that they are money hungry biatches and they'll sell you anything they could.
After all you are already a fully licenced ICAO pilot,so i really don't see what's all the fuzz about converting it...but that's the way it goes.
Same goes for ATPL exams,they are not easy (14 books each 500-700 pages on average) and you have to finish those in 18 months from the starting date of the first passed exam,if not you will have to do all of them again.
Any multi crew job will also require you to have a MCC done woth 20 hrs in full motion jet and some ground school as well.
If you are close to your 1500hrs mark you are better off to wait and get your ATPL in Canada,because then the things change radically. You only have to do two exams instead of 14 and your licence becomes automaticaly JAA ATPL.
If you need further info on what schools to pick i can give you some leads,so you can PM me if you wish and i'll try to help you as much as i can with advice.

Skydrol

FLtropopause
23rd May 2010, 00:48
Hi Skydrol leak,
Are you positive about what you said :
''If you are close to your 1500hrs mark you are better off to wait and get your ATPL in Canada,because then the things change radically. You only have to do two exams instead of 14 and your licence becomes automaticaly JAA ATPL.''
Because I'm recently back from Canada with a CPL multi-IFR and about 1300 total time and I want to convert into JAA too.
I'm from Normandy, France and apparently UK is the best spot for the conversion ?
Thanks

BillieBob
23rd May 2010, 07:48
If you are close to your 1500hrs mark you are better off to wait and get your ATPL in Canada,because then the things change radically. You only have to do two exams instead of 14 and your licence becomes automaticaly JAA ATPL.Not quite. To take this option you will need at least 3000 hours total experience on aircraft over 30,000kg MTWA of which at least 1500 hours must be as PIC (Captain). Then, as you say, you are credited with the theoretical knowledge exams except those in Air Law and Human Performance & Limitations.

However, this UK-only arrangement is not fully in accordance with JAR-FCL and the licence will be endorsed "Valid for United Kingdom registered aircraft". If you wish to fly an aircraft registered in another JAA member state, you will have to gain the permission of the NAA of that state and not all will grant it.

SAS-A321
23rd May 2010, 19:55
Found this in LASORS 2008 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2008.pdf)

"Applicants who wish to attempt examinations at a higher level (i.e. ATPL(A) level) must undertake the full 650 hour course of approved theoretical knowledge instruction"

Does it mean that you cannot do JAA ATPL Distance Learning if you have a non-JAA CPL?

paco
24th May 2010, 03:16
No, it just means that you have to do 650 hours of study. You only require a PPL to start modular distance learning.

Phil

redsnail
24th May 2010, 09:49
Distance learning is fine, you do the "study" in your own time and then hit the brush up sessions to fine tune your knowledge.
Many people converting licences do it that way.

Regarding the medical. If you already hold an ICAO class 1, then doing the UK CAA one is deemed to be a lapsed renewal. I can't remember the exact terms the medical people used when I did it back in 2001. In short, it isn't quite as expensive as an initial. (Thank goodness!)

SAS-A321
24th May 2010, 19:45
I just booked a time at Gatwick 330£ and it is called an extended renewal.