PDA

View Full Version : Living expenses for 60 odd weeks

davepearsall
6th Feb 2009, 17:35
First of all can I start off by saying could we please stay on topic for this thread. I would be really appreciable (as would many others I imagine) if people could refrain from any comments regarding integrated or modular, which training school and whether or not its a good time to train with the economic situation.

I would like to hear from any people with a ball park figures of how much they folked out for living expenses whilst on an integrated ATPL.

My chosen school is Oxford. Worse case senario would be living in the halls of residence for the duration of the UK based training. This would cost £5,940 for the duration.

Since returning from university I have lived the life of a hermit whilst saving. However I have had a crack at other expenses including petrol, food, phone bill and a little social life. I have calculated £80 per week for this.

In a nutshell I have calcuated needing around £11,000 for a period of 64 weeks for living expenses.

It may sound naive asking about living expenses as I am sure they vary wildly between individuals. I could compare it to when I was at university but I'm not sure it will be comparable as I won't be out on the lash as much! Well I hope not :}

Any info from individuals that have been on an intergated course would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

hollingworthp
6th Feb 2009, 17:54
The first thing you need to do is plan on staying for another 3-4 weeks based on overuns due to weather & tech issues.

Boing7117
8th Feb 2009, 19:06
Hi Dave

Yeah, you're not too far out at £11,000. I went to Oxford and I would guestimate that I was closer to £13,000 for living expenses.

I was paying £400/month rent (but not living in halls). This got me a flatshare within the Oxford area (nearer the city centre than the airport but travel to and from the airport was always opposite to the direction of congested traffic - so I was no more than a 15 minute drive away).

I'm not sure how much the quality of the halls has changed at Langford Hall but while I was there, there wasn't a kitchen area to prepare food so you were forced to eat in the canteen which wasn't cheap.

In these living expenses included an extra hour of tuition the US and a retake of my partially-passed 170A.

I also went a tad over the top in the US with visits to various places (Vegas being a notable example.... twice).

....oh and I hired a car out there as well for a few weeks. A big fat Mustang. Couldn't help myself.

Best of luck with the budget.

davepearsall
8th Feb 2009, 21:22
Thanks very much for the info!

A and C
9th Feb 2009, 07:40
You may like to boost your funds by working part time in some of Oxfords Pubs & Clubs I know that some of the students have done this in the past.