PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Second Hand Cirrus - What Would You Do ?

LateFinals
6th Feb 2009, 07:52
Maybe this is the year that I finally decide to buy a cirrus. However I can't make up my mind which is the best way of doing it.

There are several groups advertising in the magazines for shared cirrus ownership, I hear on the gossip grapevine that availability is generally good and the membership of these groups has been far less than envisaged making some of them struggle financially and potentially questioning their long-term viability. This may be true or just airfield gossip.

Two Cirrus owning friends tell me they think the price for second hand cirruses will reduce significantly in the next few months, especially with these interesting financial times persisting and new models being launched.

Options :
1. Buy now in UK
2. Buy now in US
3. Wait a few months to see if the price really does drops.
4. Join a cirrus group

Thoughts and advice very welcome.

I don't know if any other fellow PPRuNer's are mulling over this as well and wonder what thoughts and advice others have.

Cheers,

LateFinals

Fuji Abound
6th Feb 2009, 08:13
1. I assume you have flown a Cirrus. If not, and assuming you can, join a non equity group for six months and get to know the aircraft,

2. Regardless, if you can, wait another six months, I think the economic situation will change significantly in that time,

3. If you buy from the Sates, be very careful to factor in ALL the costs involved and be very careful to ensure the aircraft is properly surveyed. Consider the legal position in so far as NDB and DMEs are concerned, most US aircraft will not have these fitted. We may also have some news from FCL008 regarding the operation of N regs in Europe by then, perhaps significant if you intend to operate on the N reg,

4. Do not buy a 20. The aircraft is under pwered and no where near as nice as the 22.

I am assuming you are "talking" used, not new.

LateFinals
6th Feb 2009, 08:56
Yes, I've been checked out on the cirrus and they're fabulous, that's why I want one !

I don't want to open up the whole lack of NDB debate which could go on for ever, cirrus owners flying IFR don't yet seem to have had significant problems although others may know differently.

With the future uncertainly of N regs in Europe, if buying a used cirrus in the US and bringing it over would it be better to put it on teh G register ?

LF

vanHorck
6th Feb 2009, 09:12
Late finals

The Cirrus is a great machine if you like to fly long distance VFR or IFR single engine, and see a lot of tarmac when coming in to land. It looks great from an image point of view if this is what you want

It's not a great machine if you want to explore all the beautiful great little grass strips in your own country.

Whatever machine we buy is always dictated by the real flights we will be making.

Good luck with your baby!

IRpilot2006
6th Feb 2009, 09:23
Assuming you actually want a Cirrus (which is a whole separate argument) then the best way is to import from the USA, direct flight in via the Denmark zero VAT route, and leave it on the N-register. Move to G-register if you already have the local IR or if/when EASA forces you to do something.

You will need an ADF and DME to be both legal and practical. DME is mandatory everywhere here for IFR, the ADF in a few countries, and lots of approaches use NDBs.

Before purchase make sure the aircraft has no modifications which would make the transfer to a european register messy. Mods, especially avionics, are much cheaper done while the aircraft is still in the USA but avoid doing anything which would be euro-problematic.

BackPacker
6th Feb 2009, 10:37
You will need an ADF and DME to be both legal and practical.

And to add, these are legal restrictions on the airspace, not on the airframe. Even an N-reg, flying IFR, legally needs an ADF in a lot of European countries.

See for instance UK AIP GEN 1.5, para 5.2.2 or NL AIP GEN 1.5, para 2.2

007helicopter
6th Feb 2009, 16:14
In my opinion as a 1/3rd owner of an N reg SR22 an equity group is perfect if you have the right like minded partners which is the absolute key to enjoying the experience. I have no regrets and thoroughly enjoy the plane.

With the Dollar at $1.44 today there is not such an advantage with importing at this level and I would look for one that fits your budget in this country or europe. We bought our's at exchange rate of $2.00

Look on COPA web site www.cirruspilots.org (http://www.cirruspilots.org) if not allready a member it is a fantastic resourse and there is plenty of up to date information about pricing and the state of the market in the US. There certainly are many bargains currently and prices have dropped significantly and IMO will continue to do so further.

If I can be of any help I am based at Rochester EGTO so feel free to pm

Duncan

smarthawke
6th Feb 2009, 18:36
And the best of luck if you decide to deal with the muppets that sell them in the UK....

A and C
7th Feb 2009, 08:12
If the aircraft that you are looking at has ang sort of damage histor get it looked at by someone who knows glass before you part with any money.

Bad repair work is very easy to hide with composites and it will take a real expert to spot the problems, that having been said don't let well done repairs put you off a good deal when others shy away because of lack of knowlage.

TheGorrilla
7th Feb 2009, 11:13
I'd buy a Glassair and fit a turbine!! :E

Pace
7th Feb 2009, 11:29
I would buy a Cirrus and fit a turbine :\

Pace

NeedaJet
12th Feb 2009, 15:44
If you're looking at buying a used Cirrus, look no further than Absolute Aviation in the UK. They consist of the top Cirrus maintenance people, an ex Cirrus Demo/Sales pilot and an ex Cirrus Sales/Contract administrator.