PDA

View Full Version : Rn Uniform Needed, Squashed Moth Optional

JanBoy
5th Feb 2009, 20:09
Is any former Fleet Air Arm/Royal Navy colleague willing to sell their uniforms (possibly sat in their wardrobe with inevitable shrinkage!)? Having enjoyed an earlier career as an RN Observer (1987 vintage) and latterly as a mil/civil ATCO I have decided to apply and join the RNR Air Branch. I clearly failed to plan ahead and sold my own No.5s and No.7s many years ago. I kept the Gieves hat and it is now looking like something from 'Das Boot' but will scrub up. If anyone has any uniforms that might do (larger sizes please, 6 foot+ tall and full bodied!!) can you let me know. My location is close to Culdrose as I couldn't bear to leave Jethro country.

Wensleydale
5th Feb 2009, 20:14
I am sure that for a nominal fee, a local G&S Group can provide something from the props of HMS Pinafore.. just don't change your name to Little Buttercup.

JanBoy
5th Feb 2009, 20:25
OK, call me Little Buttercup, Gieves & Hawkes gear not necessarily required but I do need some uniforms as RNR recruitees are expected to muster in rig. Pity I chose to apply late in life.

anotherthing
5th Feb 2009, 20:28
Shame you can't squeeze into a 5'5" (and a smidge) size... you could've had mine, complete with moth!

Hot 'n' High
5th Feb 2009, 20:36
Hiya JB, don't forget the Uniform "shop" under the Wardroom, HMS Nelson as that has a goodly stock of old Uniforms. Mind you, when I last looked in there, the kit was all cast-offs from slim S/Lts or Lts who had PVRd, or Lt Cdrs/Cdrs who had outgrown theirs :( - the self same situation that was causing H 'n' H to go foraging for more "spacious" 5's :\. That was a few years ago now but I guess it is still there. Worth a call to the WRHP to get the low down!

exscribbler
5th Feb 2009, 23:03
As this is meant to be an aviation forum, may I ask if a Squashed Moth looks anything like a Leopard Moth - as Naval Aviators rarely change their spots...

OK, OK, it's late!

JanBoy
5th Feb 2009, 23:30
HnH,
Thanks for the top-tip, I will give Nelson a call. Think I was a slim Middy once upon a time before spreading out with rings!