PDA

View Full Version : getting your licenses in south africa.

fishroy
5th Feb 2009, 11:59
hi.

i am from israel.

has anyone got his licenses in south africa?
i am thinking about getting there all the licenses (ppl,me,ifr,cpl,instructor).

what kind of license do you get over there? and is it a problem to convert it to an israeli/faa/jar license?

thank you
roy

ewsd02
5th Feb 2009, 18:45
As far as I know the training in south africa is of a good standard, only trouble is the good schools seem to come and go there every few years. Financial constraints aside, it is best to learn in the country to intend to fly in, otherwise you will need considerable additional training when you go home with your ICAO license.

SA is ICAO, so you can convert to JAR/FAA or whatever you like, however you will need to check with the relevant national authority to find out exactly what you would need to do. Converting to JAR will require all 14 exams unless you have considerable experience. I have heard good things about 43 Air School in SA.

If you are looking to go the commerical route, best stick with the region you intend to work in, or failing that you can't go wrong with JAR or FAA.

I like planes & stuf
5th Feb 2009, 19:38
If you have a nice fat brown envelope - you will be fine. You might not even have to actually go there to get a licence issued.