PDA

View Full Version : Syd and Luke get airborne again.

Al R
5th Feb 2009, 09:52
A nice story.

"Getting there could be a little bit hazardous"

Sid.

"Inside Out reunites two wartime comrades more than 60 years after they flew together on bombing missions over Nazi Germany. Syd Marshall, from Boston in Lincolnshire, has never forgotten his wartime experiences as flight engineer on a Lancaster bomber. He flew 36 missions with a pilot who became his best friend. They flew at night over Germany, hundreds of miles inside occupied Europe, with the risk of attacks from enemy fighters.

But Syd hasn’t seen Canadian Luke Morgan since the end of World War Two. Inside Out arranged for the wartime friends to meet again. At an air display at Coningsby, Syd and Luke relive some of their wartime memories as they go on board a Lancaster bomber, where, more than 60 years ago, they used to sit side-by-side."

>> 20'20"

BBC iPlayer - Inside Out East Midlands: 04/02/2009 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hg5cs/Inside_Out_East_Midlands_04_02_2009/)

f4aviation
5th Feb 2009, 12:04
Nice one. Thanks for the link.

Wee Jock McPlop
5th Feb 2009, 16:16
My 11 year old daughter 'volunteered' her dad to do a presentation on the RAF, particularly its role during WWII. My daughters current class project is WWII and next week they will be covering the Battle of Britain, before moving on to Bomber Command etc etc. However, what she failed to tell me was that it was a presentation to both P7 classes, so I ended up chatting to 62:eek: of the little critters;)

I did the presentation to them on Tuesday and the teacher said it was the first time she had ever had them sit still for an hour and a half!! Lots of interest, interaction and questions - really great stuff. Would have been nice to show them that clip, but just great to see such a positive reaction from a class of Primary 7s - there is still hope for the future!

WJMcP

exscribbler
5th Feb 2009, 16:34
Thanks, Al; that was brilliant.

Wee Jock, you must have been doing something right. Primary children are notorious for knowing when someone's heart is not really in the subject and that's when the shuffling starts. You obviously communicated your love of your subject and they responded in kind. Well done!

kokpit
5th Feb 2009, 18:39
Thanks Al, a wonderful piece of documentary, the guys at Coningsby did them proud.

Hot 'n' High
5th Feb 2009, 18:57
Great to see two “young at heart” comrades meeting up again! Can’t help thinking that those guys lived more in a few short years than I did in 30 in the “Mob”. And my main battles have been trying to log on to DII successfully! Good job the boys in Bomber Command were more successful than H ‘n’ H! Seriously, a great story!

sisemen
6th Feb 2009, 00:19
Bugger - link is UK only :(

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/screenshotInsideOut.jpg

Wee Jock McPlop
6th Feb 2009, 16:46
Ex Scribbler,

Thanks mate. They even seemed impressed :ooh: that I was an RAF Air Trafficker (now civilian 'talking traffic light') - first time for everything eh;)

I even brought in my uniforms for them to look at, but declined their request to put one on - those flying buttons could have had someones eye out:eek:

WJMcP