PDA

View Full Version : Robust build?

Droopy
5th Feb 2009, 08:11
My wife works for a community nursery, it's not-for-profit so I don't feel shy about asking for free advice. They need to replace a desktop PC which is both old and abused.

While I'm happy to advise her on the general capabilities [it needn't be top end] I don't really know much about the build qualities available. I'm not talking in-the-field "ruggedised" as you get with some laptops but I'm interested in what builds are seen to be strongest. I realise nothing can protect against the little darlings tipping juice over it. The base unit will be in a vented cupboard and it seems wise to stick with wired mouse/keyboard but it will be, errr, thoroughly :O used 5 days a week. It doesn't make economic sense to get the cheapest every 6 months and allow it to break.

Thanks in advance.

Bushfiva
5th Feb 2009, 08:44
Weatherproof case with lockable covers and an earthquake strap? The the latter may not be a common accessory in your neck of the woods. Semi-rugged notebook? IP56 mouse & keyboard. There's lots of options. If you need to go cheaper, a case with downward-pointing louvred vents might be enough.

Saab Dastard
5th Feb 2009, 11:11
Mice and keyboards are cheap, so are almost "consumables" in your environment - if possible go for an optical mouse rather than a trackball. The PC itself is behind a locked? door, so that just leaves the screen. Is there any way that you can put a flatpanel screen behind a sheet of perspex to protect it from the little darlings?

SD