PDA

View Full Version : Degree.

eliasg17
4th Feb 2009, 16:11
Hello!
I would like to ask if a degree in airline management is actually usefull or a waste of time?I mean is it a good backup if something goes wrong with your medical?What kind of employment can you find with this degree?And is there any jobs?
Bye:ok:

preduk
4th Feb 2009, 16:20
Waste of time, if you want to get a job in management a proper management degree would be worth a lot more.

This would mean that you could enter into more industries than just aviation.

Celtic Pilot
4th Feb 2009, 17:17
Preduk has hit the nail on the head....

Open as many doors as you can to yourself, but not just aviation related options....

cp

Genghis the Engineer
4th Feb 2009, 17:38
Could I suggest using the search function and reading the last dozen threads about this.

G

CY333
5th Feb 2009, 13:15
Actually some airlines require a degree for you to be able to apply for a job.
Most of the airlines dont but as I said I know a few that do, so it all comes down to you and who you wish to fly for.
My personl opinion is that it should not be a requirement for you to get a job but I believe is helps you, if you have an aviation related degree, to look at situations and be able to judge them in a better way than a person that does not have a degree.
It also helps if you want to get involve in the management side of aviation.

CY

Keith.Williams.
5th Feb 2009, 14:34
HEALTH WARNING....I am directly involved in running a pilot training related degree.

To answer your question you need to consider what type of job you might wish to take up.

For some jobs such as Chartered Engineer or Accountant, the choice of degrees is extremely limited. But for many jobs, the exact nature of your degree is far less important than the fact that you are doing a degree.

During my service in the RN I knew quite a few pilots who had degrees in subjects such as History and Geography. On one course I met a Submarine Officer who had done his degree in French. He chose this subject because he didn’t want to do the usual engineering stuff, he liked the idea of spending a couple of years in Paris, and the Navy was paying. He is now the CO of a Nuclear Submarine, where the use of French is not at all common.

The greatest benefit that you are likely to gain from doing a degree is the development of your key life skills. Having done a degree, you are likely to be far more able to deal with complex concepts, express your ideas clearly and convincingly, and plan and execute tasks efficiently. In short you are likely to be a far more employable person.

All of the above is of course based on the assumption that you actually put some effort and enthusiasm into your degree. For this reason it is clearly better if you choose something in which you are interested.

One of the advantages of the various “Pilot Training / Airline Management” type degrees is that they enable you to combine getting a degree with doing your ATPL training. This is cheaper and quicker than doing the two consecutively. This advantage must of course be balanced against all of the other factors in making your choice about which degree to take.

Whirlygig
5th Feb 2009, 14:51
Keith, whilst the basic tenet of your post is valid, one can train in Accountancy with pretty much any degree, preferably one that shows some ability with maths but I know Chartered Accountants with degrees in History, Social Sciences and German :)

Law, on the other hand .....

Cheers

Whirls

preduk
5th Feb 2009, 15:35
Actually some airlines require a degree for you to be able to apply for a job.
Most of the airlines dont but as I said I know a few that do, so it all comes down to you and who you wish to fly for.

No one said that a degree isn't useful, we are saying that an aviation dedicated degree isn't as useful as a general management course.

If you are interested in doing management you should do a proper qualified management role that has professional status from organisations such as Chartered Management Institute, Chartered Instition of Personnel Development or the likes.

You need to use your degree as a back up, what happens if the airline industry collapses? You would be stuck.

JohnRayner
5th Feb 2009, 16:40
Are you suggesting that Airlines and commercial flying in general will soon become a thing of the past?

I think they're suggesting the industry is cyclical, with boom periods, and bust periods. Unless you're fairly well in with a comapny (and sometimes even if you are!) during a downturn your job as a pilot may be at risk. If your degree predisposes you to working in the aviation industry only, it won't help you find other work as a back up during tough times, as all aviation industry jobs may be hard to come by.

But as stated, you want to do your degree for other reasons, so that won't matter to you.

Cheers

JR

preduk
5th Feb 2009, 18:38
Are you suggesting that Airlines and commercial flying in general will soon become a thing of the past?

Not at all, and I'm baffeled as to how you came to that conclusion.

Airlines are barely recruiting at the moment, in fact heres a challenege for you. Go find an airline that is advertising management jobs in the UK, I bet there aren't many.

A general management degree would let you into both airline and other areas of management, in fact I would suggest it would teach you more about management than an airline course anyway.

Groundloop
6th Feb 2009, 07:50
My point is: the degrees related to aviation aren't just worthless pieces of paper, they just constrict you to a very limited number of options

Not necessarily so. You may need to look at the actual content of each of the different "aviation management" degrees. Some contain more "management" (which is applicable in any industry) than others. You cannot generalise that all aviation degrees are the same.

And, to reiterate previous posts, a degree aimed at a specific industry does NOT mean it excludes you from other industries as well.

Mikehotel152
6th Feb 2009, 09:17
Law, on the other hand .....

Err, I know plenty of lawyers who didn't do a Law Degree!:)

BelArgUSA
6th Feb 2009, 11:56
Opinion here - and logic as well -
xxx
Having a degree is an excellent idea.
I would recommend any airline pilot to have a degree.
But not necessarily an "aviation degree" - but one in a different field.
xxx
Some pilots take aviation degrees as they get "college credits" as CPL/IR.
And vice-versa - looks "nice to have aviation degree" for pilot interview...
Not necessarily - They look at your education level. That is all.
xxx
In fact, in airline recession periods, like we suffer now, pilots are losing jobs.
So some "managers" in airline offices lose jobs too... both suffer...
So - diversify your qualifications.
When I got furloughed in 1973, initially I did French-English translations.
Airbus A-300 technical translations - for Eastern Airlines.
I was also a French teacher in a Berlitz language school.
And part-time Learjet pilot and instructor... I survived.
xxx
Lesson - Get a degree in a completely different field.
Be i.e. a teacher, history, geography, languages.
The economic crisis may affect airlines. But maybe teachers are needed.
Or accountants... or surveyors... or underwater basket weaving...
xxx
:oh:
Happy contrails

charliegolf
8th Feb 2009, 10:04
... has been mentioned. In UK, it's becoming increasingly difficult to just 'drift' into teaching, because you can't think of what else to do. Teaching is a good and enjoyable job, and well fitted to modular training, so i recommend it. BUT, if it's in your plan, study a degree with relevance to the curriculum : a good candidate I have working for me did Photography at uni. Now she's struggling to get a TT place.

CG

Keith.Williams.
8th Feb 2009, 11:14
Far too many people see a degree as simply a means of getting a piece of paper. This is the worst possible way to view it.

In doing a degree you should be aiming to improve your education and to develop your key skills. If done correctly you will come out of your degree course as a far more capable and employable person than you were when you went into it. The piece of paper may get you to a job interview. But for most jobs, the improved key skills will be the greatest factor in deciding whether or not you get the job.

But if you are simply chasing a piece of paper you will gain very little. You will probably turn out to be one of those students who turns up once a week, complains about "all of the pressure and the hard work", and constantly cries "my friends on the Blah Blah Blah degree don't have to do all of this stuff". As a result of this approach you will probably never pass your degree and will certainly achieve very little in terms of personal development. In short you will have wasted several years of your life. Even if you do get the degree and it gets you to a job interview, you are unlikely to get through the interview successfully.

Those people who see degrees simply as pieces of paper often state that Foundation Degrees are not "real degrees". What these people choose to overlook is the fact that in most cases the FD is simply the first 2 years of a 3 year BSc(Hons) or BA(Hons) Course. In effect they are 3 year courses, with the option to leave after 2 years with a reduced qualification. But the FD also gives you the option to return to the BSc or BA course at a later date. In entering this type of course your initial plan should be to do the full 3 years and gain as much as you possibly can from the course.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Feb 2009, 22:02
I agree with most of what you say Keith (indeed, apart from the last paragraph, I agree wholeheartedly).

I have some reservations about the genuine educational value of Foundation Degrees. There is a subtle distinction between education and training and I think that they are closer to the latter.

(The best way I've come across to define the difference is that if you had a daughter and she came back from school saying she'd done sex education you'd not be all that worried - if she said she'd done sex training, you'd be rather cross and worried).

Training is good and valid stuff - I've done a lot of it, from PPL to CPL, first aid training, even courses in Jiu Jitsu. Education is more abstract - it is about the development of mental faculty, reasoning ability, problem solving...

I personally feel that the jury is still out about FD graduates genuinely being able to hack the final year of a true BSc; it also made the time and effort to get something called a degree rather shorter than it ever was before - which I find troubling given that the time to get a degree in the UK was already shorter than almost any other country and caused other countries to regard our British educational system with some suspicion.

That said, I think that what the likes of yourselves have done with the FD is a very good thing - I just mostly have concerns about the FD being called a degree, and have done since it was introduced.

G

PilotPieces
9th Feb 2009, 08:40
I think one thing that people disregard when discussing the pro's and con's of an 'airline managment' degree or whatever, is that fact that all of these 'pilot degree's' are coupled with a full atpl course.

No less than 6 months ago, I was looking at doing one of these degrees myself. Okay, I lied, I was looking at doing an fATPL and getting a degree for it :rolleyes:
However, I was quickly put off by speaking to people on these courses. I heard from one person that year one was a few videos and a maths and science lesson (+ppl), year two was atpl ground school and then there was the optional third year of actual degree work for the top up bit (when you did the cpl+ir etc in your own time).

Now its easy to see why these degrees hold little credibility (without starting the perpetual atpl's should be recongnized qualifications argument).

If this recession wasnt upon us and I had the money to do the atpl, I would probably be on one of these degree courses, however, I am sitting here still thinking about what to do in the current economy and my current economy...

Groundloop
9th Feb 2009, 08:47
I heard from one person that year one was a few videos and a maths and science lesson (+ppl),

I am amazed at some of these universities which include PPL groundschool as part of the syllabus. To even consider PPL groundschool as being any part of a university level education!!!:ugh:

PilotPieces
9th Feb 2009, 08:54
Beware of Cabair induced degree courses :oh:

jamie230985
9th Feb 2009, 10:36
Having read this thread it is pretty obvious that there are many of you out there that believe a degree in an aviation topic is not useful, well having graduated with one i totally disagree.

I agree with a lot of what Keith says with regards to the development of you as a person and it does give you the chance to grow up, interact and learn many KEY skills which came in extremely important during my flight training.

As for the comments about course content, year one in any degree is easy, its designed to be so to allow you to develop the skills you need in the following years and not to bombard you with information at an early stage. Think of it this way, if you were on your first ever PPL flight and your instuctor was to breif you on take off, stalling, emergencies, radio, the curcuit, climbing & decending...... (the list goes on) how much do you really think you would retain while you were in the air on later flights?

Level one of the degree at Bucks looked at many different areas within the industry such as ground handling systems used and airline marketing. Neither is directly related to flying but both came in handy in interviews, trust me.

Also the PPL is included in level one, you have to pass it to get onto level two, which is the same as the ATPL theory, but neither is put towards your final degree classification.

Before you all criticise this type of course I suggest you look into them in some depth. While those of you that had degree's in other subjects spent your summers relaxing or on holidays we were working our asses off doing PPL, Hours Building, CPL and IR's.

This course should not be taken lightly of seen as an easy way to combine both a degree and fATPL, you can achieve it but only if you work hard as several on my course found out when they failed sections.

Jamie

P.S. dont even start talking to me about Foundation Degree's, until someone shows me an employer that actually recognises them I dont think they are worth the paper they are printed on.

Keith.Williams.
9th Feb 2009, 11:11
I heard from one person that year one was a few videos and a maths and science lesson (+ppl), year two was atpl ground school and then there was the optional third year of actual degree work for the top up bit (when you did the cpl+ir etc in your own time).

As with many such comments it is not actually true.

The first semester of the Kingston/Cabair FD includes three modules. The first two of these are Mathematics and Engineering Science. Both of these are drawn directly from other Kingston BSc courses.

The third module is entitled PPL Ground Training, but it is not simply a matter of studying the PPL Confuser and ticking the right boxes in the CAA multi-choice exams. It requires the students to develop a much greater knowledge and understanding of the theories involved. To demonstarte this knowledge they are required to do coursework in the form of a stand-up presentation on one aspect of the syllabus, supported by a written report. In addition to this they must pass a 2 hour written exam in which they must give detailed explanations.

It is true that semesters 2 3, and 4 cover the ATPL syllabus and lead to students taking the JAR exams. But they do much more than this. They do coursework in the form of research/essay writing tasks, individual research/presentaion tasks and group research/presentation tasks. They must then pass a two hour multi-chice exam (not using standrad JAR questions) and a 2 hour written exam in each subject. All of this is designed to take the students way beyond the simple task of passing the JAR exams.

For students who go on to the third year, the BSc top-up is a standard KINGSTON BSC third year. It can be done in one year of full time study or over two years part time study.

None of the flying training counts as any part of the degree.

I am amazed at some of these universities which include PPL groundschool as part of the syllabus. To even consider PPL groundschool as being any part of a university level education!!!

If it were simply a matter of doing the type of PPL training that most students do then I would agree. But as I have explained above, this course requires the students to do far more than any ordinary PPL student. And the entire PPL training Module is 1 of 14 modules. It accounts for only 30 CATS points out of a total of 270 and plays no part in deciding the final grade.

No less than 6 months ago, I was looking at doing one of these degrees myself. Okay, I lied, I was looking at doing an fATPL and getting a degree for it

In many cases this is the real problem. People feel that they should get a degree simply for doing the standard ATPL. When they find that they cannot do so, they then revert to arguing that the degree (that they failed to get) had no value.

PilotPieces
9th Feb 2009, 11:46
Thank you Keith for the otherside of the story. The comments that I posted were the exact words from what I was told by current students on one of these courses. Like I said I was interested in doing one of these courses as I felt that the learning would be of suitable interest to myself as opposed to doing a vetinary degree or something to support my 'backup career' as it were.

Maybe I and others have the wrong impression of the course. Perhaps this is because the presentation I went to about the course was just cabair dribbling on and on about how BA have a 777 RHS with my name on it.

Like I said, havent completly written off one of these courses yet. How would coming into one with a ppl effect me? (I assume you are a lecturer or ex student hence why I am asking)

preduk
9th Feb 2009, 11:49
As for the comments about course content, year one in any degree is easy, its designed to be so to allow you to develop the skills you need in the following years and not to bombard you with information at an early stage. Think of it this way, if you were on your first ever PPL flight and your instuctor was to breif you on take off, stalling, emergencies, radio, the curcuit, climbing & decending...... (the list goes on) how much do you really think you would retain while you were in the air on later flights?Not in my course, our highest drop out rate was straight after first year because people couldn't hack the course. The basics I was taught in first year I still use today.

Before you all criticise this type of course I suggest you look into them in some depth. While those of you that had degree's in other subjects spent your summers relaxing or on holidays we were working our asses off doing PPL, Hours Building, CPL and IR's.What rubbish. I had two jobs, was studying for a full time while doing my PPL while at University. During the summer I was off on study in a foriegn country then working full time for two months to get extra money for University starting back so don't sit and assume we did nothing.

These airline degrees may help you when getting a pilot job, I'm not debating that however as a backup they are awful. Why you would want to tie yourself to an industry which has been known for many years to suffer from boom and bust? Do you think potential employers outside of aviation understands or cares to even look into what your course means when he has a list of other candidates with proper management degrees? If they do look into it, how serious do you think an employer would be when he sees in your management course that you have been studying PPL, ATPL and Ground Handeling systems, what does that have to do with management?

Keith.Williams.
9th Feb 2009, 13:14
How would coming into one with a ppl effect me? (I assume you are a lecturer or ex student hence why I am asking)

PILOTPIECES

I run the course at EPTA.

Students who already have a PPL can join the course. But they must still do all of the PPL ground training, including the research/presentation tasks and the written exams.

For pilots who have already completed their ATPLs we are looking at a distance learning option which will give them some credit for their existing qualifications. But this credit is unlikely to account for more than a small part of the overall points allocation. This is because the whole point of doing a degree is to develop key skills. Awarding a degree largely or entirely on the basis of previous non-degree study would probably be very popular, but it would achieve nothing in terms of enhancing the ability of the student.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Feb 2009, 17:59
Where the RAeS has accredited AeroEng courses which incorporate a PPL (in practice, usually an NPPL with JAR exam passes), the norm has been for the NPPL to comprise one module - that is 1/6th of the first year, although also the normal has been to add in some addition - usually essay based - work within that module.

(I wrote the syllabus of one of these degrees, and had all of the fun of getting it through the RAeS accreditation process).

That said, whilst the PPL, CPL and ATPL are academically much easier than any degree level work, they are also very "content heavy" and this does cause problems in balancing the overall workload - as well as creating the illusion in some places that an ATPL has some equivalence to a degree.

G

charliegolf
10th Feb 2009, 11:38
Genghis said:

I have some reservations about the genuine educational value of Foundation Degrees. There is a subtle distinction between education and training and I think that they are closer to the latter.

I see where you're coming from, but having seen the essay workload of one of my teaching assistants who's nearly there, makes me disagree with your 'training' criticism. She will have done a significant number of 3000 worders on pedagogy and practice in the school setting. She did an interesting research piece on comparative standards in Faith and secular schools which any undergrad would be pleased (and would pass) with.

Jamie

P.S. dont even start talking to me about Foundation Degree's, until someone shows me an employer that actually recognises them I dont think they are worth the paper they are printed on.

They are recognised in education, not least because we're no longer interested in taking graduates who have absolutely no idea about what schools do. FD 'grads', who finish off their degrees make excellent PGCE candidates, and usually fine teachers.

CG

Who would not mount the same defence for Hairdressing FDs, which will fit Genghis' premise to a t, I suspect.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Feb 2009, 10:24
She will have done a significant number of 3000 worders on pedagogy and practice in the school setting.
Aaarghhh, you are giving me nightmares remembering my Higher Education PGCE. You WILL learn to use the word pedagogic and mean it! :mad:

G

charliegolf
11th Feb 2009, 11:30
Ah but Genghis, in the rarified atmosphere of HE (where I believe you get your crusts from these days?) they actually believe practitioners use that mumbo jumbo!:ok:

Scott Duch
11th Feb 2009, 14:57
I'm in my last year of high school and i've applied for university. My first choice is Aeronautical Engineering (like my maths and physics :cool:) and i've received an offer from the university (Glasgow) and will hopefully be heading off there to do the BEng or the MEng......not sure yet.

preduk
12th Feb 2009, 01:04
Scott,

Just to give you heads up, my best mate is currently 4th year Aeronautical at Glasgow and hates the course with a passion. He say he feels as if he barely knows anything about aircraft design and believes he was told a complete lie about what the course is like!

I would ask some current students if I were you what they think of it. I know 4 people who done it, one person left in first year because they never liked it, one person is in 4th year another left after 3rd year to become a teacher and one left after 2nd year and got a job with Ryanair engineering (nothing to do with the degree).

Edit: I know another person lol finished the course and got a job with Virgin (and loves it).

Scott Duch
12th Feb 2009, 10:36
preduk, that's for that.:) I was looking on the UCAS website at the time of applying and only 67% of people rated to course to be good or excellent. However, I've spoken to a guy on msn who is in 1st of the course and loves it very much and 2 people from my school are also in their first years of the course and are enjoying it but I have heard conflicting views, and yours is one of them.

I haven't accepted to offer yet. I got an offer from Glasgow for Aerospace Systems, formally known as Avionics. Thats another choice i'm thinking about (my back-up) but Aerospace Systems is up against another course I'm really interested in, Automotive Engineering however i have haven't go an offer from Heriot Watt yet as i have an interview on the 5th of March so it still gives me alot of time to think it through.

Thanks for sharing though!

preduk
12th Feb 2009, 13:40
No problem, if you want to speak to any students on the course give me a buzz and I'll get them to speak to you. :ok:

About_A_Mile_Away
12th Feb 2009, 17:26
These degree threads sure are very interesting, but it's given me a bit of a problem.

I thought I'd found myself a well established course - Aeronautical Technology at Staffordshire. From what I could understand the course content was all good and I was very impressed with the applicants open day. The course is shown on the website here (http://www.staffs.ac.uk/study_here/courses/aeronautical-technology-tcm426322.jsp).

And, if it matters, it has the same course code as these (http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DNRx83c1sHCGjB55bxtJ40P6Ck62o-4I7O/HAHTpage/search.HsCodeSearch.submitForm?cmbInst=&txtJacsCode=h410&button1.x=27&button1.y=18) courses.

Reading this, and other threads, has made me very sceptical (or does PPRuNe just have that effect anyway?) It feels a bit selfish asking for 'personalised advice' on such a big forum, but is this a classic case of a 'mickey-mouse' degree?

And is there a pruner who has been on this course? Would be great to get your opinion.

Thanks,
Matt

Reluctant737
12th Feb 2009, 23:05
Personally, and this is coming from somebody in the RHS on a lovely new 737NG, I wouldn't reccommend anybody who wants to be a 'career airline pilot' goes and does a degree.

Seriously, this job may seem fantastic when you're a passenger sat behind the wing skimming at 300 knots over the stratus bathed in the gorgeous golden light from the setting sun, and you may think 'bloody hell, I'm gonna have to be a Physicist to achieve this'!

Trust me, when you're in the job, you realise that it really is hyped up a LOT. It's very nice, there's no doubt about that, but that's all it is, another job. My mates aren't doctors, or lawyers, or MPs etc. They work in warehouses, they're retail managers, they're HGV drivers, one's a P.E. teacher. Do I have a better job? Not really - when you've done your 100th landing in the 737 and taxiied up to the stand having a chat with the skipper, you realise that it IS only a job.

It's CERTAINLY not worthy spending four years at university specifically for it, as it will not help you in this job that is no longer so unusual. Do you need a degree to fly a PA28 or a 172? No. Do you need a degree to fly a 737? No. In fact, do you need a degree to fly aeroplanes full stop? Go figure.

It's a fabulous career for me, I thoroughly enjoy it, but I wouldn't have learnt 4 years worth of unrelated material for it... Those who really DO have the motivation to fly for a career, will do so with relatively few gaps in employment. Go drive a truck for a few months. If you love flying, you must accept there probably will be a few times in your life when you're not flying. What does it matter whether you then fall back onto a job in a warehouse or as a lawyer?

Why study all that time at uni for a job/area you'll probably only be in for a few months in your life? Hey, if you've got two brain cells to rub together you will put enough savings away each month to keep your going in times like these when the pickings are thin.

I don't tend to enjoy myself as much these days for exactly that reason. I spend NOTHING that I don't need to right now, because I am always anticipating I may need the money in the future, and in ten months of flying I've put away enough to keep me going for about the same time frame in my current conditions.

Just my two Euros :ok:

preduk
13th Feb 2009, 00:03
Reluctant737,

From a man that has done two University degree courses I 100% agree with you. I'm on possibly my final year of studying at the moment and have hated it since I started. I'm know leaving trying to think of a job that I can get that will help me fund the rest of my flight training and have decided the police, a job which requires no qualifications...

If only I had joined the police when I was 18, perhaps I would be going for my airline job sooner :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

preduk
13th Feb 2009, 12:30
In Scotland we do 3 years for the normal degree and a further year for hons. So it would take a student 4 years to get a BA(hons) for example and a further year to do it at masters level.

Reluctant737
13th Feb 2009, 14:05
Hi,

I must add, so nobody misunderstands me - I have no qualifications past GCSEs, I left and worked within a friend's business for a few years, so I am unqualified to speak of the university experience. But what I should say is that going by some friends of mine who have done degrees or are in the process of gaining such, I think it is a very valuable asset in turning you into a more confident person, more ready to take on the world ahead of you. I also have a very high level of respect for people who have what it takes to stick out ANY degree for the duration.

I can only speak for myself, and I am VERY easily distracted from things I am not interested in, which is why A levels and/or a degree would not have suited me.

I should also say, my opinion, regardless of what I put above, is that a degree will only help you in this industry if you have one. I was referring specifically to people who are still in the process of making that decision, and again, that's just my opinion.

Sam, you may be thinking of foundation degrees. I am referring to what I liked to call 'proper' degrees:p whicn incidentally, tend to be 3-4 years.

Cheers, Ad

Genghis the Engineer
13th Feb 2009, 17:44
I also have a couple of degrees, and have taught on several others at a couple of well regarded universities. And I fly. I'd hate to give up my aeronautical engineering, my management work, or my flying. Okay, maybe I'd be prepared to give up being a manager.

Anyhow...

If you have no desire to be anything but an airline pilot - don't waste your time with a degree, get on with your ATPLs.

If you want a "safety net" in case you can't fly, and you have no desire to do anything in the aviation engineer except fly. Then do something vocational, not a degree, which is only ever a building block towards other things.

If you have a life-plan which includes flying, but may also include other roles - airline management, aviation journalism, accident investigation, test flying... Then, and only then, would I strongly recommend taking a degree course before your ATPLs. But, pick a degree relevant to your life plans, whether that's aerospace engineering, business management, or somewhere in between. If that has a "with pilot studies" element, then great.

Or, if you have a real passion for a subject, and want to study it for a few years before switching to your other passion of flying - why not do a degree in that subject. It's your life, and if you are sure you can afford it, why the hell not.

But don't do a degree because it seems a good idea. It isn't a good idea unless you've got good reasons to do it.

Incidentally, About_A_Mile_Away] my opinion is that the Staffordshire course probably is a Mickey Mouse course, as IMHO is the similar course at Leeds. I don't disparage all "with pilot studies" courses, but have strong reservations about these whose academic content seems to me to be pretty weak. The courses at Salford, Brunel, Sheffield, Liverpool - those I think hold rather more water academically, as well as still offering some significant flying content.

G

UniFlyBoy
16th Feb 2009, 13:11
One of the best aviation degrees (at least it was when I was there) and I think the first in the country, was that run by Leeds University, originally in conjunction with Leeds Flying School (sadly no more). Many of the early graduates were highly sought after and are are now doing very well indeed. Many will also claim that this particular degree was a positive advantage when it came to recruitment, and not just for pilot wanabees. Salford etc were just copies of the Leeds degree and given the number of other similar courses that have sprouted, the lack of exclusivity will work in no ones favour now. Also it is clear that the Leeds course has changed for the worst, with less emphasis on aviation and a clear failure to recruit/retain staff with relevent academic knowledge and practical experience that a degree of this type requires. Looking at the Uni web site, the number of directly related aviation modules with relevent academic content and depth, which I studied, have reduced in the last year in favour of more general engineering topics such as "Health and Safety!". It seems that they have got their priorities all wrong, or someone has been shopping at the pick 'n mix degree courses counter.

eliasg17
16th Feb 2009, 14:50
If you have no desire to be anything but an airline pilot
This is true.I only have the desire of being an airline pilot someday.

But don't do a degree because it seems a good idea

This is why i thought of doing a degree.But if i lose my medical someday,i will try something vocational as you said,or if i am young,then go to uni.:ok:

Groundloop
18th Feb 2009, 07:44
One of the best aviation degrees (at least it was when I was there) and I think the first in the country, was that run by Leeds University,

A lot of Leeds publicity for this course has claimed they were the first to run a degree which included pilot training. They were not!!! City University and London Met were running courses well before Leeds started. This indicates that Leeds research was simply pathetic or they just lied!

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Feb 2009, 07:51
An aviation degree is the worst of all worlds.

Its no use if you lose your medical and can't be a pilot anymore so provides no safety net.

Its not going to impress any airline or get you a flying job.

Its useless and irrelevant to the day to day job.

Total waste of time.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Feb 2009, 08:20
An aviation degree is the worst of all worlds.

Its no use if you lose your medical and can't be a pilot anymore so provides no safety net.

Its not going to impress any airline or get you a flying job.

Total waste of time.

A "general" aviation degree such as "aeronautical science" - I agree.

Something more specific - aerospace/aviation/aeronautical engineering, aviation management, physics "with": perhaps not.

G

Groundloop
18th Feb 2009, 14:58

Depends what you want to do. I know of one City University graduate with Thomson who, during a stopover in the Maldives with the Chief Training Captain, got talking about his degree. Two weeks later he got a phone call from said Captain asking if he would like to help out setting up and running ad-hoc training courses when not flying.

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Feb 2009, 15:15
And did he want to?

Incredibly dull I would have thought - should have kept his mouth shut and concentrated on oogling. Silly boy.

Kestral757
18th Feb 2009, 21:12
Hi guys on the subject,im currently in my first year at london Met doing Aviation Management & Ops (Pilots Pathway) FDSC i think its a good degree and think its good to have even though you dont need it to be an airline pilot,you learn marketing,HR management,airport ops and PPL ground school etc, I know a FO working for Ryanair who done this course and he said you stand a better chance of getting hired if you were up against someobody without a degree whether it be aviation related or not. If for some reason i cant be a Pilot I can change onto the Management side and complete a 'top up year' to get the full BSC,theres also the option for work experience within the industry. This degree works for me either way, I love aviation,i would hate to have to do a degree in something that i didnt want to do,any degree shows employers that u have developed and obtained key personnal skills and commitment,its better than not having one at all.

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Feb 2009, 21:36
Spelling, grammar and structure reinforce the belief that modern degrees from modern institutions aren't worth the GCSE paper roll they're smeared upon.

Harsh I know but so is the real world.

student88
18th Feb 2009, 21:45
I managed to get my job as an Operations Officer for a large UK airline based at Luton with just my GCSEs. You don't need a degree, just the ability to work hard. Don't waste your money, get some experience working for an airline. Oh yeah, I was 19 when I started working for them.

preduk
18th Feb 2009, 23:15
Kestrel,

I tell you right know HR wouldn't touch you if you tried to get a job with them so that aspect of your career is dead. These days you need a full BA(hons) plus a CIPD qualification which you aren't going to get from these courses because they aren't recognised.

Kestral757
22nd Feb 2009, 20:30
Get a degree in what ever you want to do, if you are unsure speak to the University,they know best and can tell you where past students have gone onto.

Celtic Pilot
22nd Feb 2009, 22:32
Best post so far Kestral 757...

I did a degree in mech engineering, wasnt to sure at the time (when things were ok economically) But now im really glad,,, degree's speak loads on CV's for any job... small or big...

Person with a Degree

person with a couple of A-levels

If you owned a company, I'll let you decide which one you would employ!!!!!!

preduk
23rd Feb 2009, 02:01
if you are unsure speak to the University,they know best and can tell you where past students have gone ontoYeh thats a good idea. Why not speak to the University so they can give you their marketing crap and bang you into a course thats low on students. :ugh:

Person with a Degree

person with a couple of A-levels

If you owned a company, I'll let you decide which one you would employI would rather employ the person I think is best suited to the job. I've met a number of graduates who couldn't even write a proper letter never mind do the job properly. I'm not saying a degree is bad, what I'm saying is that having a degree doesn't make you top dog.

Do a degree that you will enjoy and has real career prospects. You will enjoy the course and the job at the end of it, do your own research, look at the job market and see what the requirements are AND how many jobs there are. No point doing a degree you enjoy when there aren't any positions available year after year.

Groundloop
23rd Feb 2009, 07:09
do your own research, look at the job market and see what the requirements are AND how many jobs there are. No point doing a degree you enjoy when there aren't any positions available year after year.

Bit like training to be a pilot at the moment!:ok:

Kestral757
26th Feb 2009, 22:06
Preduk- You actually said something positive..is it just that you dont like the Aviation Industry..?, my lecturers at London Met told me fulwell that this is not the best time to be doing a degree in aviation and finding employment after will be tough but that wont last forever and as mentioned above,if you lose your medical you have something to fall back on and stand a better chance of getting a job than someobody else who is less qualified!. :p