PDA

View Full Version : LCD T/Vs Mmmm...thinks

Loose rivets
4th Feb 2009, 15:45
I posted this on JB. http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/360867-oh-no-me-telly-needs-new-light-engine.html#post4695363

Started out to be funny, now I'm not so sure. Specifically the link at the bottom of my post.

Glamdring
4th Feb 2009, 18:13
What's the question?

Loose rivets
4th Feb 2009, 19:43
There isn't one. The post in JB was to be just a funny comment, but the link goes to a forum that seems to be unanimously disenchanted with Projector type LCD T/Vs.

I went for this type because it was by far and away the best picture, and despite being some 18" deep, seemed to compensate for that disadvantage by the picture and the absence of Burn-in. Pixel loss was not an issue either.

I still put the picture ahead for giving a huge detailed yet relaxing picture. Up to now the only grumble has been the anti-reflect surface - streaks better than the previous incarnation - but still observable when the scene pans.

It does sound as though I would be able to clean my own Light Engine including the optical section. (I worked on Broadcast Standard Sony cameras for a while. Apart from the electronics, they had tubes and half-silvered prisms to set up.) But for the average customer this would be difficult. Maybe a retirement job there for me?:8

call100
5th Feb 2009, 10:05
My Brother in the US has one of those...I thought it was awful.....You don't see any rear projector type LCD's in the UK on general sale....No one wants them...
Glad you like yours though....:ok:

Loose rivets
5th Feb 2009, 17:13
I think you might be confusing this with one of the 'Real' projection tellies...they were as you say, awful. However, the size and bulb issues may put some folk off.

I put a lot of work, and years of experience in the trade into choosing this unit. When it's right, I still think it takes the prize, though some of the new room-heaters are getting close. At twice the cost.

On JB they've come up with some links that spell out what Sony are doing to address the problems of what was after all supposed to be their flag ship. The Class action lawsuit is not what Sony expected. It remains to be seen what transpires.

They were certainly for sale in Essex a while back. It was the only set in the shop that wasn't on. "We don't waste the bulb unless we have to." LOL, it was a lot of money there...here, about $300 in five years was the aim.

Tinstaafl
6th Feb 2009, 01:30
Samsung have a DLP TV that uses 3 colour LEDs instead of a bulb & colour wheel. 60,000 hrs LED life they claim plus the lack of a wheel all but eliminates any rainbow effect.

Circuit City are closing & they have two of them for sale. 61" for US$1500 & a 67" for $1900 or so. I'm rather tempted by the 61"!

Loose rivets
6th Feb 2009, 02:39
My SIL has a 60", albeit the model before mine. (hence my ability to judge accurately between the two definition developments.) Anyway, I thought the 50" would suit my bungalow. When it arrived, I wished I'd gone the whole hog.

It's astonishing how quickly you get used to a big screen...and even stranger, how quickly I got used to a 19" - with a grotty picture - back home last summer. A few minutes into a film and somehow you just forget. Waste of money really.:}