PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel incident at Ternhill

scarecrow450
3rd Feb 2009, 18:58
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Shropshire | Two hurt in RAF helicopter crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/shropshire/7868154.stm)

Both crew walking wounded thankfully. :uhoh::uhoh:

wg13_dummy
3rd Feb 2009, 19:10
Good to hear the crew are fine.

Good to see the BBC have their details correct as usual. The pic shows a police twin Squirrel. When did DHFS start using them? :rolleyes:

Has Harry bypassed basic fixed wing training? I don't think so. But what are the BBC to know, eh?

Double Zero
3rd Feb 2009, 19:28
Well, they can spell...

wg13_dummy
3rd Feb 2009, 19:52
"Well, they can spell..."

Nob.

TheWizard
3rd Feb 2009, 20:07
Has Harry bypassed basic fixed wing training? I don't think so. But what are the BBC to know, eh?

What's Harry got to do with this???:confused:

wg13_dummy
3rd Feb 2009, 20:24
Bugger all Wizard. I shall RTFQ next time. :rolleyes:

Double Zero
3rd Feb 2009, 21:29
I'd like to think 'nob' was a deliberate mis-spelling of 'knob' but as hardly anyone anywhere on Pprune can tell between Their & There, or To & Too...Anyway thanks for noticing.

taxydual
3rd Feb 2009, 21:47
Thank God it missed the school, the hospital, the orphanage................

OK, I'll get my coat.

Glad the crew are OK (the important bit).

wg13_dummy
3rd Feb 2009, 22:30
I'd like to think 'nob' was a deliberate mis-spelling of 'knob' but as hardly anyone anywhere on PPRuNe can tell between Their & There, or To & Too...Anyway thanks for noticing.

I'll bet you're a bundle of fun on the piss. :rolleyes:

You just know that your spelling will need to be exemplary from now on?

Airborne Aircrew
3rd Feb 2009, 22:36
See... There was me thinking that some poor mammal was involved in bringing down a military aircraft at an ancient airfield only to find that this whole thing was about spelling and grammar... :ugh:

Double Zero
4th Feb 2009, 00:31
Well that one must be deliberate, I really hope. Better than getting ponced on, anyway...

It's easy to tell between honest typo's, be it a slip of the finger, casual attitude whatever, to plainly using the wrong word - that's what amazes me, probably the worst culprits being airline types...

Thanks for pointing out my -brain on standby- Chipmunk howler, have corrected it.

On a much more important note, I'm glad the helo' crew weren't badly hurt.

BTW in case you get the wrong idea, Double Zero relates to Dastardly & Muttleys' car, no 007 pretensions; must get a logo.

pr00ne
4th Feb 2009, 00:55

"Ponced on?"

Oh dear, this could just run and run..........................

oldbeefer
4th Feb 2009, 08:12
No thread drift here then!

Warmtoast
4th Feb 2009, 10:32
Rising to the bait here is Uncle Warmtoast's Guide to Good Writing

1. Each pronoun agrees with their antecedent.
2. Just between you and i case is important.
3. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.
4. Watch out for irregular verbs which have crope into our language.
5. Don’t use no double negatives.
6. When dangling, don’t use participles.
7. Join clauses good, like a conjunction should.
8. Don’t write a run-on sentence you have to punctuate it.
9. In a letter themes reports articles and stuff like that we use commas to keep a string of items apart.
10. Don’t use commas, which aren’t necessary.
11. Its very important that you use apostrophe’s right.
12. Don’t abbrev.
13. Check to see if you have any words out.
14. As far as incomplete constructions, they are wrong.
15. Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.
16. It is important to never ever under any circumstances split an infinitive.
17. The active voice is preferred.
18. Use of the passive voice is to be avoided.
19. Eschew obfuscation.
20. Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.
21. Last but not least, avoid clichés like the plague.

Double Zero
4th Feb 2009, 12:14
I was using the hyphen for the sake of clarity, seemed a sensible precaution.

I also spelt Chipmunk correctly in another less hurried post below the one seized on...

I do agree on one thing though, that doesn't look like a police helicopter unless perhaps early trials with the manufacturer.

Now even those attempting to have a go at me seem to have proven my point ( I was hoping they were doing it deliberately but apparently not ) shall we get back to what happened to the helicopter ?

exscribbler
4th Feb 2009, 13:45
Mods! Can we have a spell-checker facility, please? :E

wg13_dummy
4th Feb 2009, 13:47
Sid. It's a twin from the Mongolian State Police Service. :hmm:

helidriver
4th Feb 2009, 15:50
So, anyway, how are the crew who crashed?:confused:

h

higthepig
4th Feb 2009, 18:26
So, anyway, how are the crew who crashed?

Sod that, when are important spelling/punctuation/grammatical errors to correct, who gives a 'sh*{£' about the crew.

(Both fine, walking wounded, Squirrel little more poorly (it won’t polish out).

dagowly
4th Feb 2009, 18:28
Instructor and pilot are fine :D shaking like ****ting dogs though after the incident.:oh:

helidriver
4th Feb 2009, 18:55
grate thats, a releif:ok:

h

Thelma Viaduct
5th Feb 2009, 02:27
Mods! Can we have a spell-checker facility, please? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gifGet oneself firefox, I'd look a write worser fick nob with out it.

KeepItTidy
5th Feb 2009, 14:56
Bizarre I was reading the crash report for the 2 Squirrels that collided there last year this week.

Glad everyone is fine , I mind doing my basic helo training there 11 years ago , nice quaint place.

Airborne Aircrew
5th Feb 2009, 16:08
Jeez AIDU... You need to get out more... The word "mind" when used by those of the porridge variety means "remember" in the appropriate context... :rolleyes:

Edited to add: No, there is not a single drop of blood of the porridge variety in my body, nor did I live there... ever...

Just wanted to clear that up... :E

higthepig
5th Feb 2009, 17:42
Bizarre I was reading the crash report for the 2 Squirrels that collided there last year this week.

Two years ago for that one I'm afraid.

JGW RIP

KeepItTidy
5th Feb 2009, 19:21
OK 2 years ago , I did not take the date in higthepig sorry? Geeez , and I meant basic Helicopter handling training Aidu before going onto Wessex :ugh:

12 twists per inch
5th Feb 2009, 20:03
Back to the helicopters.....

Who pays for the replacement?

Military aircraft, I believe, are not insured as we are a big company and can cope with the loss.

So are the helicopters insured by FB Heliservices as they are on the civil register, or does the MOD pick up the cost? Just wondering.

Any spelling/grammar mistakes are intentional to keep the thread off topic.

Double Zero
5th Feb 2009, 21:12
I only raised the spelling / grammar issue when it was clear the crew were safe, as anyone who knows me would take for granted.

As it is, a slight cock-up or indeed malfunction of some kind is probably receiving far too much attention.

All the best to the crew concerned,

a GCSE ( 'O' level English Language is probably deemed racist or something by now ) retake for some of the other posters.

Mountain & Molehill spring to mind...Let it rest !

DZ

scarecrow450
5th Feb 2009, 22:15
Belive FBH are responsible for the replacement :confused: they got 2 more last year but are a way off from flying for their keep yet.

wg13_dummy
5th Feb 2009, 22:45
As it is, a slight cock-up or indeed malfunction of some kind is probably receiving far too much attention.

Are you on about aircraft, crew or your conduct on this thread?

Double Zero
6th Feb 2009, 02:37
OK,

as you clearly don't understand English Language and are prepared to disregard any safety issues or tips for operators of the same aircraft for others, here's something hopefully in your language;

F**k off and get professional.

DZ

pohm1
6th Feb 2009, 03:55
F**k off and get professional

Do you mean "F**k off and get professional, like wot I is?"

:ugh:

P1

pr00ne
6th Feb 2009, 10:28

You are a very weird person, why would you deem an English language O Level to be racist?

PPI Zulu
6th Feb 2009, 10:39
Beacuse 'English' is the new 'Black'!;)

Double Zero
6th Feb 2009, 10:48
prOOne,

I mentioned 'racist' because I was accused of that by mentioning the fact that gypsies are not the best neighbours, as I and my colleagues know from personal experience at two airfields.

Please don't bother with the P.C. routine, I've already heard all that and can prove my point rather easily - if you get out alive, I'll drive you ASAP to the nearest hospital.

It seems some Ppruners think I was having a go at 'minority ethnics' - well if they are an example, bring on the A-10's !

pr00ne
6th Feb 2009, 15:01

Just why would I NOT get out alive?

As we are on this 'gypsy' point just how the hell do you know that I am not one, am not married to one, am not descended from them or have gypsies (or travelers) as some of my best friends?

Please explain how the hell proposing to murder them with an A10 strafing run BECAUSE they are Gypsies not offend?