PDA

View Full Version : Emergency evacuation questions

punkalouver
3rd Feb 2009, 17:18
Reading an old report on a 747 incident. After landing, an engine fire was reported and the command to the flight attendants to be prepared for an evacuation was given. The command is "Easy Victor". Is this a widespread command in the airline industry? I've never heard of it before.

Also prior to their emergency landing, the upper deck pax were moved to the lower deck(294 total on board). While that would mean a lower height for pax to evacuate from, wouldn't it lead to an overall longer evacuation time due to less useable exits?

oldbalboy
3rd Feb 2009, 17:23
most airlines have their own command, easy victor was a code a lot of amercain airlines used to advise the f/a's that an evac was imminent, in UK we use commands such as evacute and undo seatbelts and get out as to english speaking passengers this means some thing easy victor means nothing.
In a pre palnned emergency time permitting we would move pax closer to exits if only a part load,cant comment re upper deck as i dont fly double deckers!

Mansfield
3rd Feb 2009, 17:48
"Easy Victor" is the evacuation command at many US carriers. It does not mean an evacuation is imminent; it is the actual command. It is used in cases where an evacuation alarm is either not present of fails to function. Its purpose is the give the cabin crew time to initiate the evacuation before everyone else starts running for the doors. I suspect that if you use the plain language term "evacuate" (as my most recent airline did), it is possible that a flight attendant will not have time to evaluate the usability of the exit before a passenger starts to open the door, particularly in cases where he/she is responsible for both doors cross-aisle.

BelArgUSA
3rd Feb 2009, 18:05
The code EASY VICTOR is not understandable by passengers.
Flight attendants will be first at the emergency exit to manage evacuation.
EASY is the old phonetic alphabet for E - Able Baker etc...
xxx
The call EVACUATE will get 50 panicking passengers in front of an exit.
A guarantee that they will open door or emergency exit and jump into a fire.
xxx
:E
Happy contrails

punkalouver
6th Feb 2009, 00:51
What about the idea of moving pax downstairs in advance of an emergency landing? I might have a better survival chance by being first down the higher slide than 80th down the lower slide.