PDA

View Full Version : Principles of Flight

paulyp
3rd Feb 2009, 16:04
Is it me, or did the chapter on "stability" in the p of F subject totally blow your mind. I've been over the chapter twice now, and its not sinking in. As i'm doing it via DL with London Met, maybe its just the book. How did others find it, and what material did you use?

RTN11
3rd Feb 2009, 16:12
I found that. Stability was a nightmare. I was on a residential course at BCFT, and we all had to get the instructor to keep going over it until suddenly it clicked. By far the biggest chapter in our textbooks.

Stick with it, and you'll get there.

BRS_flyer
3rd Feb 2009, 18:26
Check your PM's pauly!!

Shunter
3rd Feb 2009, 18:54
I used the CATS material, and it was fairly straightfoward to be honest. That said, I did fail PoF the first time around. Mainly because it's such a short exam with few questions, hence easier to fail from a percentage perspective.

I'm always intrigued as to the purpose of PMs in such a thread. If you've got information useful enough to PM, why not post it? One can only presume it's a link to a dodgy Oxford torrent or something.

kirannalli
5th Feb 2009, 10:38
go with from the ground up, then go through the oxford atpl principals of flight you will fee lot batter

steggers
7th Feb 2009, 09:36
Hi Guy's just a quick question with regards to PoF...................when did you all sit them? Did you find Bristol database helped for PoF? I've used Bristol for all of my subjects but am worried about PoF as people as saying they are starting to move away from Bristol? Espically the Jan exams. Any feedback would be great

RTN11
7th Feb 2009, 10:03
I sat PoF in Jan this year, and passed with 94%.

I must say, there wasn't much Bristol. Maybe around 60-70% of the exam. A lot of people did fail this one, and I heard the average mark was 70%.

Bristol isn't the answer for subjects like PoF, Gen Nav, Instruments, and Met. If you learn the principles of the subject, you can apply them to any question.

Bristol is a much better tool for subjects like Law, and HPL, and Comms, and possibly Radio Nav.

Obs cop
7th Feb 2009, 12:30
RTN11's spot on with the comments on Bristol's question bank.

I found that the HPL, Air Law and Radio Nav exams were virtually indistinguishable from the Question Bank.

My POF exam (April 08) had at least 40% of the questions which I didn't recognise from the question banks. Likewise, I personally feel that POF, Performance, M+B, Radio Nav, Met and Air Law are bread and butter subjects for ATPL candidates so the objective should be to learn it to the best of your ability.

The question banks (as there are several now)

On the good side, there were very few stability questions in my POF exam, and those that were there were fairly easy. It's not a subject I can speak confidently about and stick force stability is still a bit of a mystery.

Regards,
Obs

Shunter
7th Feb 2009, 12:55
gob.1 - I suggest you get all the facts before you start shooting from the hip. There were substantially less than 44 questions in my PoF exam. The first sitting had around 7 questions which the course material did not cover, some of which were outside of the syllabus. The second sitting was fine. I did the CPL version as I have a perfectly good job and no need for an ATPL.

FrankAbagnale
7th Feb 2009, 19:55
ooo0o0o someonez taken the jam out of shunter's donut :uhoh:

robertphilpott1
9th Feb 2009, 15:49
paulyp

i've just sat the POF exam after studying Full Time at London met and i'd highly recommend you use the question bank they give you to supplement the learning. Go in for the brush up courses and you'll find it much easier to sink in.

Re bristol, I used that also and in my exam there was only 1 or 2 questions that we hadn't seen previously. well worth the investment!

RTN11
10th Feb 2009, 21:13
Did you use V1 and V2 on Bristol?

I only used V2, and thought there were a fair few questions that weren't in the database.

FrankAbagnale
11th Feb 2009, 13:48
Errrr I dont use any...I just pull the stick back..if it floats then fine...otherwise push it forward and pull it back again a few seconds later...it always floats the second time .. :}:}:} :ok: