PDA

View Full Version : Ed Freeman - Hero

V2-OMG!
3rd Feb 2009, 02:46
I have been involved in a project involving Vietnam veterans. There is a silent knowing amongst their brotherhood; if you've been there, you never talk about it.

But some stories are told - because too much would be lost if they weren't. Such is the story of former U.S. army helicopter pilot, Ed Freeman,

The next time you are at the airfield and you hear the fwap, fwap, fwap of a helicopter rotar, you may just remember Ed Freeman.

I was sent this, courtesy of a friend.

The Story of Ed Freeman:

It's November 14, 1965, and you're an 18 or 19 year old kid. All your life lies ahead of you. Except you're critically wounded and dying in the jungle of the Ia Drang Valley, Landing Zone Xray, South Vietnam.

Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 to 1. The enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own company commander has ordered the Medevac helicopters to stop coming in.

No Medevac chopper will rescue you, so you must die.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, knowing you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the globe. 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. The world fades in and out. This is your last day.

Over the machine gun noise, you hear that sound of a helicopter. You look up and see an un-armed Huey. It doesn't seem real because there are no Medevac markings on it.

It's Ed Freeman, coming to save your life. Freeman isn't Medevac. It's not even his job. But he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire because Medevac was ordered not to.

Freeman lands. He sits there in the blizzard of bullets as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.

He flies you up and out, through the gunfire, to the doctors and nurses. You will not die this day.

Freeman came back 13 more times. He saved about 30 of you and your buddies. If not for Ed Freeman, you all were dead men.

In 2001, Captain Freeman was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

On August 20, 2008, Ed Freeman passed away. He was 80 years old.
It was a day many Vietnam veterans broke their silence and raised their glasses in a toast to Eddie: "Cleared for take-off!"

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1942/12014112/21360717/353493464.jpg

Dengue_Dude
3rd Feb 2009, 04:30
Like 'celebrity', 'hero' is an over-used word, with 'pop' heroes, football 'heroes' and the like.

It should be reserved for people like this, RIP.

Firemen rescuing victims from burning houses, unarmed coppers facing down thugs with guns, this guy - THEY are heroes in the accepted sense of the word.

Makes you feel a bit humble doesn't it?

angels
3rd Feb 2009, 10:24
Makes you feel a bit humble doesn't it?

It certainly does. Fully confess to not having heard of Ed before.

Anyone know if there are any books about him? Sounds like there ought to be.

Wiley
3rd Feb 2009, 11:44
I think the lead Huey pilot in "We Were Soldiers" more or less played Ed, didn't he? I'd highly recommend the book "We Were Soldiers Once, And Young". It shows that Mel Gibson stuck remarkably close to real events in the movie, but didn't show what happened in the next few days, where the Americans went incredibly close to having a major unit wiped out.

Anyone who's ever flown a helicopter in any military role would be in absolute awe of what Ed and his crew (along with quite a few of the outher US Army crews) did that day. They were landing with bad guys - who were shooting at them! - from within the rotor disc. I don't know that I would ever have had the cojones to do anything approaching that.

angels
3rd Feb 2009, 12:02
Wiley - Thanks for the recommendation.

And maybe if you had have done it, you wouldn't have had your cojones, if you get my drift. :E

November4
3rd Feb 2009, 13:13
Medal of Honor Citation (http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/vietnam-a-l.html)

CAPTAIN ED W. FREEMAN
UNITED STATES ARMY

for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Captain Ed W. Freeman, United States Army, distinguished himself by numerous acts of conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary intrepidity on 14 November 1965 while serving with Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). As a flight leader and second in command of a 16-helicopter lift unit, he supported a heavily engaged American infantry battalion at Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam. The unit was almost out of ammunition after taking some of the heaviest casualties of the war, fighting off a relentless attack from a highly motivated, heavily armed enemy force. When the infantry commander closed the helicopter landing zone due to intense direct enemy fire, Captain Freeman risked his own life by flying his unarmed helicopter through a gauntlet of enemy fire time after time, delivering critically needed ammunition, water and medical supplies to the besieged battalion. His flights had a direct impact on the battle's outcome by providing the engaged units with timely supplies of ammunition critical to their survival, without which they would almost surely have gone down, with much greater loss of life. After medical evacuation helicopters refused to fly into the area due to intense enemy fire, Captain Freeman flew 14 separate rescue missions, providing life-saving evacuation of an estimated 30 seriously wounded soldiers -- some of whom would not have survived had he not acted. All flights were made into a small emergency landing zone within 100 to 200 meters of the defensive perimeter where heavily committed units were perilously holding off the attacking elements. Captain Freeman's selfless acts of great valor, extraordinary perseverance and intrepidity were far above and beyond the call of duty or mission and set a superb example of leadership and courage for all of his peers. Captain Freeman's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

According to Medal of Honor Recipients Portrayed On Film (http://prweb0.voicenet.com/~lpadilla/freemanmarm.html)web site, Freeman was reduced a small part while the film, "We Were Soldiers", concentrated more on Bruce Crandall. Both were recommended for the CMoH but both were awarded lower medals instead. Just before the film was released, Freeman's award was reconsidered and he was awarded the CMoH some 36 years after the action.

Following the release of the film, Crandall's recommendation was reconsidered too and as a result he was also awarded the CMoH.

CRANDALL, BRUCE P. (http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/vietnam-a-l.html)

Rank and Organization: Major, U.S. Army, Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). Place and dates: Ia Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam, 14 November 1965. Place and date of birth: Olympia, Washington, 1933. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty: Major Bruce P. Crandall distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism as a Flight Commander in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). On 14 November 1965, his flight of sixteen helicopters was lifting troops for a search and destroy mission from Plei Me, Vietnam, to Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang Valley. On the fourth troop lift, the airlift began to take enemy fire, and by the time the aircraft had refueled and returned for the next troop lift, the enemy had Landing Zone X-Ray targeted. As Major Crandall and the first eight helicopters landed to discharge troops on his fifth troop lift, his unarmed helicopter came under such intense enemy fire that the ground commander ordered the second flight of eight aircraft to abort their mission. As Major Crandall flew back to Plei Me, his base of operations, he determined that the ground commander of the besieged infantry batallion desperately needed more ammunition. Major Crandall then decided to adjust his base of operations to Artillery Firebase Falcon in order to shorten the flight distance to deliver ammunition and evacuate wounded soldiers. While medical evacuation was not his mission, he immediately sought volunteers and with complete disregard for his own personal safety, led the two aircraft to Landing Zone X-Ray. Despite the fact that the landing zone was still under relentless enemy fire, Major Crandall landed and proceeded to supervise the loading of seriously wounded soldiers aboard his aircraft. Major Crandall's voluntary decision to land under the most extreme fire instilled in the other pilots the will and spirit to continue to land their own aircraft, and in the ground forces the realization that they would be resupplied and that friendly wounded would be promptly evacuated. This greatly enhanced morale and the will to fight at a critical time. After his first medical evacuation, Major Crandall continued to fly into and out of the landing zone throughout the day and into the evening. That day he completed a total of 22 flights, most under intense enemy fire, retiring from the battlefield only after all possible service had been rendered to the Infantry battalion. His actions provided critical resupply of ammunition and evacuation of the wounded. Major Crandall's daring acts of bravery and courage in the face of an overwhelming and determined enemy are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

V2-OMG!
4th Feb 2009, 18:50
Thank-you all, for your acknowledgment.

Dengue Dude, I agree with your comments whole heartedly.

It really is about perspective.

Samuel
4th Feb 2009, 19:09
The book was excellent, and the film sort of brought the book to life although some people who were important in the book didn't make it to the film.

Not widely known was the fact that a number of RNZAF pilots flew FAC and both Army and Air helicopters in vietnam. They were attached to USAF and Australian units, and two RNZAF Flt Lts were awarded a US and Australian DFC respectively.Despite the controversies of the day, and the reluctance of the NZ Government to commit them in an open-handed way, all members of the New Zealand air contingent acquitted themselves well in the field. In addition to the fighting medic, seven of the 16 RNZAF helicopter pilots, two of the seven Army helicopter pilots and three of the 14 FAC pilots received awards for gallantry – not a bad batting average.

The Old Fat One
4th Feb 2009, 20:43
For those interested in this place and period of history, accounts of the Battle of Ia Drang make compelling reading. I think the book "We were Soldiers" is an exceptional account of warfare, with its personalised style; although I would disagree that the film is anything other than "action/adventure". The charge up the hill supported by helicopters at the end of the battle sequence is nothing more than boys own comic book nonsense.

If you are looking for heros from this moment in time, spend a little time researching Rick Rescola, who was to play a major role in another pivotal moment of American history. An incredible story, by any measure, and he was a Cornishman to boot.

Interesting also to note that the Ia Drang featured Custer's own seventh cavalry and, as an earlier poster notes, with nearly a similar result. The battle played a major role in policy of both sides, with the NVA realising they could defeat the technology and Macnamara, despite his misgivings, signing up to a massive reinforcement.

Moore and Galloway have another book out..."We are Soldiers Still". I haven't read it yet but will soon.

Robert Mason (of Chickenhawk fame) also flew into XRAY with the Preachers. I think Freeman and Crandall were both with the Snakes, but don't quote me, because I'm only going on popular texts, not authorised accounts.

Whatever the merits of the books, the films and the politics, one thing is for sure, this was one hell of fire fight with a lot bravery and courage on both sides.

Wiley
5th Feb 2009, 01:35
I would have to agree with The Old Fat One regarding Rick Rescola. He mentioned unrealistic "boy's own annual" heroics. Rescola's actions in the battle went about as close to that ideal as it gets in real life. (Now if there's a Hollywood producer out there looking for the real life subject of an inspiring film, with an almost unbelievable 9/11 connection thrown in at the end, he need look no further than Rescola.)

And yes, he was a Brit.

Back to the battle: the account of the very near repeat of Custer's Last Stand was sobering. The writers lead you to believe that had the NVA not dropped the ball and become distracted by killing the American wounded and instead, continued their attack on the isolated 'O' Group, they may well have achieved it. Interesting to surmise what effect the total destruction of a battalion sized unit - particularly the 7th Cavalry! - would have had on the subsequent American committment to Vietnam.

Brian Abraham
5th Feb 2009, 02:09
There was a thread running here not long after Eds passing. http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/340949-we-were-soldiers-once-young-ed-too-tall-fly-freeman-medal-honor.html

The bit I loved about Ed was his statement,

I then asked, "Sir, is it true that you delayed accepting the invitation to the White House for your medal presentation until after President Bush was inaugurated and Clinton was gone because you didn't want to receive your medal from a draft dodger?" He said, "Yeah, I kept coming up with excuses to put it off. I didn't want that filthy sonofabitch touching my medal with his filthy fingers."

Suggest you read the thread.

grusome
5th Feb 2009, 09:27
Broadening the discussion slightly, some of you may not be aware of the passing of Cliff Dohle, on 2nd February, aged 73 years. Cliff was one of the RAAF Huey Captains involved in the Battle of Long Tan, when on 18th August 1966, D Coy 6 RAR was involved in a firefight with NVA 275th Regt and D445 Bn VC. Numbers are disputed, but officially, D Coy lost 18 killed and 21 wounded. Their adversaries lost 245 dead and 150 wounded according to Australian figures. US intelligence sources later claimed 800 killed and 1000 wounded on the NVA/VC side.

Cliff will be farewelled at St Pauls, Seville, Victoria on Monday 9th February, at 1130.

V2-OMG!
7th Feb 2009, 04:43
Brian Abraham, I usually do a forum thread search first, as I don't like to be redundant, but I can't get anywhere with it. I typed "Ed Freeman Vietnam pilot" and got this:
"The search term you specified (ed) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific."

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Fantome
7th Feb 2009, 05:08
Easy peasy - search freeman vietnam

V2-OMG!
7th Feb 2009, 05:51
fantome, thanks so much. I was wearing blinders again - seeing but not reading.

I understand the problem now. It is not the number of words in the query,
it is the number of letters in the word.