PDA

View Full Version : Never give up

EGCC4284
3rd Feb 2009, 00:59
I found this on youtube and thought I would share it with all you wannabes

Never give up

YouTube - How My Father Became An Airline Pilot (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwTqCevnLU)

G SXTY
3rd Feb 2009, 09:07
Nice tribute from a son who is obviously proud of his dad (although I'm a bit concerned about the lack of high-viz jackets - here in the UK the H&S police would have shot them for that). :)

I had a few moments when I very nearly quit training, and I'm so glad I didn't. Until recently I'd also have said "never give up", "follow your dreams", "you don't want to look back in twenty years and think what if" etc, etc. However, having been through commercial training and made it to an airline, I can now see it's not quite as simple as that.

To be blunt, some people are just not cut out to be commercial pilots. If they realise it at all, it will probably be at the third or fourth CPL or IR attempt, when they're bleeding cash and are too committed to back out. Assuming they don't run out of money, a future of SSTRs and pay to fly schemes beckons. And even if you are the best pilot in the world, your chances of success are scarily dependent on economic timing. I qualified at the peak of the job market and had two airline interviews and a job within three months. If I'd qualified a few months later, I'd still be looking now . . .

By all means go for it, it really is the best job in the world (more a way of life than a job) but for God's sake be realistic about what you're getting into. Don't listen to flying schools' spin, get independent aptitude testing before you start training, and never underestimate the importance of qualifying when the job market is good. Right now it's terrible, and those guys who were in training when the economy went pop have my deepest sympathy.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
3rd Feb 2009, 12:04
I think it the current climate, as difficult as it may seem, this post is relevant in the sense of keeping focussed. This is particularly applicable to chaps and chapesses that are training and having doubts about the future and getting the job they are working so very hard to get.

It is easy, for current pilots to say never give up, but it is so, so true. I have been an airline pilot for nearly 2 years now, and from what G-SXTY has already said, if you are in it for the right reasons, the job is very rewarding and enjoyable. It was only this morning the Captain, I, the crew and 144 bods down the back were flying into Heathrow left hand down wind for 09L, looking out the window, and the comment even came from the left hand seat, 'there are not many people who get this view from the office'. Nodding my head, and pinching myself just in case, I looked down through the clear air and snow covered fields, to think yes this really is one of the finest jobs in the world :ok:.

All the best.

G SXTY
3rd Feb 2009, 12:50
flying into Heathrow left hand down wind for 09L, looking out the window, and the comment even came from the left hand seat, 'there are not many people who get this view from the office'

There certainly weren't many who got that view yesterday. ;)

Sorry, back to the thread . . .

corsair
3rd Feb 2009, 12:57
Nice video, charming and an excellent tribute from a loving son to a Father. However I watched it only up to the point where he got into the Air Force. Whoa, where's the struggle, where's the years of scraping the money together for flying lessons? Where's the disappointments, setbacks?

From what I see he had a seamless enough career and probably never had to pay for any of his training. Not only that, he was only three millimeters away from flying F16s.:cool:

Never give up? I don't get that. It just proves that some people are lucky in the career choices. I wish I had it so easy. That man had my ideal career progression. Good for him and I don't mean that in any way sarcastically. If only it was as easy for the rest of us.

EGCC4284
3rd Feb 2009, 13:35
G SIXTY and CAT3C AUTOLAND, great post.

Quite often at night time when on a MIRSI1A arrival for 23R, we end up with a shortcut, downwind right hand and when we break through the cloud at about 3500 feet , we are directly above Manchester City Centre. It’s an amazing view and I just know what the passengers are thinking. I say to myself how lucky I am to have such a job.

Quite right about timing and right place right time. If I was training all over again, I would want to complete maybe September 2011 my guess. Hopefully airlines will be recruiting for summer 2012 by then and all those experienced guys will have been soaked up.

I would say it’s a good time to be starting module right now and not to rush it too much.

G SIXTY and CAT3CAUTO, will pm you both later

Rob

fabbe92
4th Feb 2009, 16:15
Sometimes its so hard and it really sucks with the theory etc. But I have never even thought of quitting. Qutting is not an option. It doesn´t exist for me. I have wanted this so bad since I was 3-4 years. I think about aviation all the days. Normal guys at my age dreams about girls and girls again. I dream 70% of airplanes:}

I remember when I was a little kid and we got home from vaccation. I could be depressed for weeks since the flying was over for now and I had to go to school instead and it would be 10 years before I was a pilot. It was so hard. Now I am allmoast there.

So a tip for you guys. When the road seems so hard and you get stuck in theory. Think that this is what you have been whaiting for. I will continue to study since I know that this is the begining of my career and its much more better to do something than to sit there and just whach the planes fly by.

Good luck to you all and lets hope we can all get together on ATC up there someday:ok:

heli_port
5th Feb 2009, 14:20
Don't listen to flying schools' spin, get independent aptitude testing before you start training, and never underestimate the importance of qualifying when the job market is good.

I got independent aptitude testing via GAPAN and they said "sorry son you'll never make it". Went to OAA/CTC/FTE and passed their assessments with flying colours. Just passed my P1 and i've been told that i've got an interview with BA.

So much for aptitude testing ;)

Preperation is key :p Don't let silly tests destroy your dream :cool:

Lew747
5th Feb 2009, 15:31
There are a few videos on youtube that I personally find very motivating and bring out that passionate, almost burning sensation inside you, to commit yourself to something like a commercial aviation career....

YouTube - Become an Airline Pilot: Oxford Aviation Academy AP264 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpbvrdzmeQ)
YouTube - Who said work was Boring? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKDU_birvgk&feature=channel_page)
YouTube - Coldplay Clocks- Boeing 747 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RySs2NsFpPA&feature=channel)

G SXTY
5th Feb 2009, 16:18
Heli_port - a cynical person might question whether any school's aptitude tests are entirely unbiased, seeing as their income depends on a successful result. GAPAN aren't trying to sell you anything, and if I recall correctly, they quite specifically brief candidates that no testing system is perfect, and a low score does not necessarily mean you'll never fly an airliner. That said, they have been around a long time, and between them and the RAF, I suspect they know a thing or two about aptitude testing.

If you make it to the airlines despite a low GAPAN score, then I'd be delighted for you and it's a story worth telling. Please don't give the impression though that independent aptitude testing is not worthwhile, it very much is. There are exceptions to every rule.

I have met one or two people during training (thankfully a small minority) who were quite obviously pouring money down the drain. Like the guy who had sold his flat to finance his dream, and was still struggling to trim the aircraft a month into his IR. It was heartbreaking to watch, and I suspect that deep down he knew the score, but was too committed financially to back out. Or the one who finally managed a fifth series pass at the CPL, and wanted to be an airline pilot to impress the ladies. I kid you not. Any commercial instructor could reel off similar stories.

"Never give up" is a worthy ideal, and is how most of us get there in the end. Just be aware that there is a little bit more to success than a bottomless pit of cash and a never say die attitude.

hightower1986
5th Feb 2009, 16:23
i like the "who said work was boring" video but whats with all the abuse 2 minutes in? sorry very childish i know!:oh:

davepearsall
5th Feb 2009, 16:43
I can't stress enough how important having a trial lesson/flight is. Both to see if actually enjoy it an to determine if you have the correct co-ordination skills etc.

heli_port
6th Feb 2009, 07:17
Heli_port - a cynical person might question whether any school's aptitude tests are entirely unbiased,

Are you that cynical person you mentioned? If so to suggest they are biased is ludicrous . http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/adult/handjob.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=adult/handjob.gif)

IMHO indepenedent testing is rubbish, go to the schools and see what they say. If still you get no joy then i suggest you carry on. I know a number of pilots that failed aptitude assessments and are now flying professionally! and ignore cynics like G-sixty.

;)

mrbarvid
6th Feb 2009, 07:42
i like the "who said work was boring" video but whats with all the abuse 2 minutes in? sorry very childish i know!

Haha.. My kind of humor!

Sorry for not contributing to much on the actual topic..

Cheers!

"Volare Vivere est"

G SXTY
6th Feb 2009, 08:25
IMHO indepenedent testing is rubbish, go to the schools and see what they say.

You're entitled to your opinion heli-port, and I couldn't really give a toss whether you think I'm a cynic. I am a working airline pilot who has been there, done it, got the T shirt and spent many thousands of pounds on the way. I'm happy to spend my free time on here offering advice to wannabes, without trying to sell them anything, and I call it how I see it. You are still one of those wannabes, even if you do have an interview with BA.

Other people might be able to spot the potential conflict of interest when a training school offers aptitude testing to potential customers. You cannot, however, and because you don't like the advice you dismiss it as 'ludicrous' and cynical. I would invite anyone to have a trawl through our respective posting histories and decide for themselves who talks more sense.

Feel free to have the last word - given your propensity for onanistic smilies, I suspect that further debate with you is a pointless exercise, so for the sake of my blood pressure you have made it to my ignore list. Well done.