PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Flying Opportunities

johned0
2nd Feb 2009, 21:57
Following on from Pitch Link's email about suggestions for LA, I am looking for some flying suggestions within 3 hours drive of San Fran, for April. I have done the bay and all the way down Big Sur and I have flown with HAI before they became Bristows. I have no objections to flying with HAI again but I am looking for something a little different to just tooling round the bay or up and down the coast, looking at the sights.

Mrs Ed won't be with me on this trip so I will leave the winery tours until she is there to enjoy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

n5296s
3rd Feb 2009, 01:24
Not sure what you're asking? Interesting places to drive to and then fly? Interesting places to drive to and not fly? Interesting places to fly to?

In any case there are loads of interesting places within 3 hrs of SF, I suggest you buy a guide book. You've done the easy ones, there are lots of interesting ones heading north for example. But if you're looking for interesting places where you can rent a heli within 3 hrs drive, beats me... there are several places within an hour or so where you could rent for dual, though I doubt that they would let you solo.

n5296s / n9888s

blave
3rd Feb 2009, 05:56
There is an operator at KPAO (Palo Alto) that flies a late-model R44 - R44 Helicopter Information (http://www.siriusflying.com/R44.htm) . You could do pretty much whatever you want to do with them, if you can afford it. PAO is well-located for any sort of Bay Area flying, be it north to San Francisco or S/E/W to other destinations. (I have a few suggestions, if you want them - post or PM if interested. The Castle AFB Museum would be one of my first picks if you like vintage aircraft, but that would be an expensive round trip via R44.)

As I recall their R44 is US$560/hr, but I might be off by $50 or so (fuel prices have been all over the map here over the last few months).

Dave B.
San Jose, CA

n5296s
3rd Feb 2009, 06:54
n9888s is actually their R44, which I'm currently training in. Nice machine, at least I think so. They're called Sirius Flying. They will let you solo, but I don't know what conditions they attach to someone they didn't train with them - it is possible, I know, because I know a UK based pilot who flies there, but he's a CFI in the UK. However it probably takes bigger commitment than a short trip.

There's another heli school at San Carlos, which flies a Schweizer. I don't now much about them. There used to be one at Reid Hillview (San Jose) until an unfortunate incident last summer involving night scud running and power lines. I don't think they're in business any more.

n5296s

johned0
3rd Feb 2009, 09:09
Thanks for the replies.

n5296s - good questions.

It will definitely be dual because I haven't got time to do all the FAA/CAA paperwork.

I am pretty flexible. I would like to do some flying but I've done all of the scenic stuff that I have mentioned so I fancy doing something different. What do the local PPL-Hs get up to when they have got bored of flying the same old scenic routes with friends and family ?

What mountain / advanced flying options are there ?

John

n5296s
3rd Feb 2009, 14:38
If you don't mind paying for the R44 (~$550/hr) then I'd recommend Sirius, www dot siriusflying dot com. If you want something cheaper then the San Carlos people may be better. I don't think anyone round here has R22s, though Google may find something.

As for options... we're surrounded by mountains! The Sierra Nevada is a bit over an hour away by heli, you can fly into Tahoe or over the peaks to Mammoth. The north coast is very pleasant, Mendocino is a nice town if a bit touristy, there's an airport a few miles away but no rental cars any more, you might be able to find a hotel that would let you land in their parking lot for lunch. North of SF rapidly turns into virtually uninhabited forest, which is impressively vast to fly over though not of any special interest apart from that. East of SF is the central valley, whose main positive feature is that it makes you appreciate the benefits of flying rather than driving (well, and it produces about 70% of all the fruit grown in the US - jolly useful but you don't need to go there for that).

There are loads of interesting places to go but the "spectaculars" are Big Sur, SF itself, the Sierra Nevada. After that it's really a question of what kind of thing you like.

n5296s

n5296s
3rd Feb 2009, 15:01
Just googled a bit. There's a place at San Carlos (Golden Gate) that has R22s and R44s, and a place at Hayward across the bay that has an Enstrom. So lots of choice.

As for things to do... I've seen helis go under the Golden Gate bridge, to my surprise, and my instructor assures me it's legal although he won't do it. Would make a change...

n5296s

MarcK
4th Feb 2009, 02:20
Try contacting Cameron Rolfe at bayhelicoptours (http://www.bayhelicoptours.com/). They have helicopters at both San Carlos and Hayward.

KiwiRotorWrench
4th Feb 2009, 04:38
Another group at Hayward is Makin Air Makin Air Helicopters (http://www.makinair.com/default.asp) , whih always seems to be busy. But that might have been catching up when the Silver State students were left hanging.

DynamicallyUnstable
4th Feb 2009, 07:05
As far as the mountain flying opportunities there, Bristow (HAI) had a mountain course when I was there. Took 4-5 s300cb's to Reno for 4 days. It was awesome and a great experience. May want to see if they still offer that. Other than that, the things you have done are the things I would say to do generally. You could always do the typical thing...figure out what airports in the area ave a decent restaurant and sightsee on the way to lunch.

Try to get on the mountain course, it's a great experience.

Good luck John