PDA

View Full Version : SA CAA & the Foreign Licence Validation scheme

rmdr2
2nd Feb 2009, 17:54
Chaps

I am slightly confused about the terminology that is bounded around with regard to "TYPE" ratings and the way that the SA CAA Foreign Licence Validation scheme operates...

I have a multi rating on my Canadian Licence which, with my understanding, means that i am allowed (subject to a check ride) to fly most standard light twins.

I have time on a Beech Baron for which I was checked out by a CFI and had the appropriate endorsement entered in my log book.

I might have the use of an Aero Commander in SA. However, I have no time on type so no check ride sign off in my log book (obviously).

Given these circumstances, am I allowed to go to SA with my Canadian Licence (which enables me to fly light twins), obtain my Foreign Licence Validation (which validates my ability to fly light twins in South Africa) and then get checked out on the Aero commander by a SA CFI?

The bit that confuses me is that the Foreign Licence Validation is supposed to give me all the powers of my Foreign licence in SA - I.e. the ability to fly any light twin I like subject to a CFI sign off. However, I have some people telling me that it only allows me to fly the aircraft types that already appear in my log book and that I can not get checked out in a new aircraft type - even though my (VALIDATED) Canadain Licence gives me that power...

Advice gratefully received!

A very confused rmdr2!

digitalsoul
2nd Feb 2009, 18:14
What they have told you seems to be true to me. If you are only validating your license BUT not Converting to a South African one... U may only be allowed to fly what's on your Canadian to be Validated license.... and to be allowed to fly it solo after validation is completed...that's between you and the owner/company of the light twin...but it might also be a tough decision for them to let you fly away in their Baron alone in the wild of Africa!
And to what I know is that south African CAA may not be able to add a new Type rating on your foreign license, so with that said, there is no possibility of you flying a light twin which you are not rated on... But you will be able to fly the light twin currently in your license once Validated... Other conditions may also apply.... to better to check with the CAA very well.
That is my opinion...some one can add onto this or correct me if necessary.

unstable load
3rd Feb 2009, 00:16
rmdr2,I think digital has it right. Your license will be validated as written. In other words, if you have the Bron rating in your license, then you can fly the Baron, but nothing that is not a written in rating. It's a simiar thing for AME's with guys only being given ratings for types that they have done a recognised course on despite the M1/M2 rating being all encompassing.Sorry if that spoils your holiday, mate.

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Feb 2009, 04:50
You can visit the SA CAA website and read or Part 61. Pilot Licensing. Subpart 61.01.14. is with Recognition, validation and ocnversion of foreign pilt licences and ratings.
Part 61 is the mantra with the SA CAA. That is fine but it is not always the same as what happened before so confusions do happen.
I think that ds is correct bot I would not wish to make a gamble on my personal interpretation of Part 61. If you really want an answer you should pull down form the CAA website, one or two names of the senior men in Flight Ops and send them an e mail. If you end up at the front desk you are likely to get one different answer for everyone you speak with. This is quite acceptable - they people cannot be expected to have a deep knowledge of 200 pages of licensing writings.

I read youyr post again.......

I do not think that if you have not already flown an aircraft and had it signed out that you will be able to do that on a validation because then you are really adding a type rating to a validation and you cannot do that. The power of your Canadian licence is useless here except within the boundary of a validation.

ct2003
8th Feb 2009, 16:20
I just returned from SA and had to deal with almost the same issue - only that I have a SEP class rating only (basic JAR PPL). I got my JAR PPL with SEP class validated there in January 2009

In SA, everybody (also see above posts;)) still sticks to the "old" Part 61. Most of the guys at flight schools, hire&fly companies and flying clubs I talked to tell you such nonsense like the above said. They still love their old type ratings, endorsements and such blabla...

The fact is that since "new" Part 61 ("pilot licencing") is in place, you can make use of your class ratings as long as they comply with the SA law:
61.13.8 (1) "The class ratings for single-pilot aeroplanes not requiring a type rating are as follows - (...) (f) all multi-engine piston areoplanes (land) (...)
(3) "Differences or familiarisation training is required to change to another type or variant of the aircraft within one class rating."

This is actually the same as in JAR. Differences or familiarisation training can also be done locally in SA by an SA FI as long as you already hold the current class rating.

This can all, incl. of a cloured graph showing class vs. type ratings, be found in the latest red SA air law book which you have to study anyway for your local air law exam.
Also get and check out Irv Lee's booklet on SA on a PPL (higherplane.co.uk) which I higly recommend to you. He also states that this fixation to particular types is outdated nowadays.

You only have to convince the local guys - and this might be the hardest part!

But you do not have to convince the CAA as they are open and helpful. You might also contact Mrs. Neo Tigele ([email protected]). Allow some days for an answer...

I personally found it very helpful (as I did not have the time to prepare this procedure upfront with Irv Lee as he also offers) to see the CAA at Midrand myself. There, I was also directed to Neo Tigele. So I got the paperwork done within some hours and only had to do the air law test, the indtroduction as well as the flights thereafter.

Flying in SA was a brilliant experience btw!:)

Bucket
8th Feb 2009, 22:55
The SA CAA are a very helpful bunch of people.

In essense what has been written a couple of posts ago is correct.

If you have it signed off by name in your Canadian (or any other licence) then it is 'imported' into the validated paperwork.

You cannot add a rating to the SA validation.

Of course if you have more than one foreign licence then in theory you can import all those ratings by name into the validation. An MEP class rating is a blanket rating and must be endorsed with the specific name/type of the aircraft in question.

:ok: