PDA

View Full Version : What would a budget airline pilot say to this?

WishesToFly
2nd Feb 2009, 13:35
I often travel to mallorca via EasyJet and Ryanair and i love having a sneaky peek at the cockpit of the 737 or the Airbus, once when i arrived at Palme De Mallorca, and i was at the front of the aircraft waiting for the passenger door to open, the 2 female pilots had the cockpit door open, and i looked in and the 2 female pilots were really nice to me and let me have a look and ask a few questions, they seemed really nice and genuine and i thanked them for the easy and smooth flight!

I know that because of the terrorism etc that cockpit visits (mainly while airborn) are prohibited, but would the pilots object to me having a quick look in the cockpits either after or before the flight?

Im not just an adult that dreams of flying, i actually want to do this as a career and often finds that the airhosts/hostesses (especially ryanair) object to asking the pilots if i can have a look at the cockpit / ask a few questions to the pilots etc even when not in the air and at the ramp!

So am i wasting my time? or are there pilots that dont mind us asking a few questions having a look at the cockpit etc!

It would be nice just to thank the pilots sometimes for their excellent work!

Doors to Automatic
2nd Feb 2009, 13:42
I think that the rules allow cockpit visits if the engines are shut down so there is no harm in asking when you are getting off.

It is likely that you might meet resistance on some of the low cost operators not because they don't want you there but because they will be on a tight turnaround and may also be running late.

EGAC_Ramper
2nd Feb 2009, 13:52
Certainly don't be intimidated not to ask, work for the aforementioned Ryanair and we have had people up in the flightdeck during our turn-arounds. These mainly being parents with their children grabbing a look. As mentioned obviously pressures of quick turn-arounds generally mean it will only be brief visit unless you arrive early allowing a bit more time to take a look and ask questions and obviously no admittance to passengers in flight is allowed.

Regards

Rainboe
2nd Feb 2009, 14:56
Sit at the front and ask for after landing. There is usually pressure to get people off onto buses or through locked doors, so there is not a lot of time as the cleaners and caterers want to get stuck in, and the pilots have checks to do, paperwork to fill in and walkarounds/refuelling to do. Don't hold it against the FR girls- they work very hard and are always knackered. They're all called 'Ludmilla' too!

AKAFresh
4th Feb 2009, 10:31
Iv mentioned this already on a similar thread so ill repost....

Listen guys and gals the bottom line is... if you want to see the flightdeck then DON'T be scared to JUST ASK!

Of course visits restricted to ground only (UK and US airlines mostly)... but best time to do it is after the a/c has landed and parked on stand, just wait until everyone has disembarked and then ask the cabin crew. Or if the cabin crew are friendly enough then ask inflight whether they can ask the pilots if once on the ground a visit would be possible.

To all those wannabee flightdeck visitors BEWARE: I was shocked to hear one flight attendant I was working with during a turnaround told me that when passengers ask to see the flightdeck on the ground she ALWAYS says NO without even asking the pilots, and that she thought it was weird that people wanted to have a look. :ugh: I thought that was crazy, I mean so what if they want to visit the cockpit!!! We are drilled to death with security head to toe at the airports and for good reason I guess.... but its getting ridiculous when we start getting suspicious of people just asking to have a quick view of the front of an a/c while on the ground!!!! There's security and there's just plan nonsense.

So as a pilot who would always say YES to visits along with most of my colleagues I would suggest; make sure you ask one of the more friendly cabin crew or better still ask the senior cabin attendant or purser rather than any flight attendant because the junior ones tend to just say no without thinking.

Just remember if you don't ask you wont get a chance and the worst your going to get is a 'No'.... in that case theres always the return trip! http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Good luck folks and I look forward to showing you the Christmas tree lights! http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

All the best.

AkA.

easyboy22
4th Feb 2009, 11:04
I work for Easyjet and have no problem asking the Flightdeck if a customer can have a quick look after landing. as people say as our turnarounds are so short it may be just a quick look or a quick question, but just ask..

frnikolai
4th Feb 2009, 19:04
The last flightdeck I saw was a Boeing Aeroflot TU154 back in 1999. Never again, have I seen the door open. Only when boarding, but I want a seat!

bfisk
15th Feb 2009, 20:42
On a Boeing Aeroflot TU154?

raffele
15th Feb 2009, 21:44
Didn't realise Boeing had moved into the business of making 40 year old Soviet trijets... Is this why they're having problems with the 747-8 and the 787? ;)

5Y NJB
16th Feb 2009, 09:35
I know on the airline my boyfriend flies for that cockpit visits are permitted whilst on the ground, and as long as it's before the doors are closed / push back. Obviously, in-flight cockpit visits are a complete no-no but in the case of his particular airline that rule came in long before 9/11 (can't go into it on here). If I'm on a flight he's skippering I almost always go down early and sit in the jumpseat while he and the F/O prepare for the flight, until we push back.

You should definitely ask; I've never been refused a cockpit visit on the ground before, or after, the flight - and frequently fly jumpseat here in Africa (where rules are made to be broken!).