PDA

View Full Version : Bush Flying Opportunities in Oz

Okavango
2nd Feb 2009, 09:37
Hi. Are there any prospects for foreigners in scenic and bush flying jobs in Australia or are these in high demand by Australian nationals?

corsair
2nd Feb 2009, 10:45
I imagine the dununda forum would be the place to ask that question. But I imagine the answer is probably 'No way, mate'. As someone pointed out to me once. 'Everyone down there has a pilot's licence'.

Rhodes13
2nd Feb 2009, 10:49
Do you have the right to live and work in Australia? If the answer is no then there isn't a snow balls chance in hell unless you can prove to the government that the company you want to work for couldn't find any suitable Australian residences to fill the job.

Chances of that happening though are also very very slim, perhaps you should try Africa if you are interested.

redsnail
2nd Feb 2009, 13:23
Ok, as stated you'll need the right to work and live in Oz. Have a look at the immigration site for that. I think it's Department of Immigration & Citizenship (http://www.immi.gov.au)

Then you'll need to convert your licence. Check with Civil Aviation Safety Authority (http://www.casa.gov.au) for your exact requirements. Note, it isn't as hard going to Oz as it is coming to Europe.

It used to be that if you shook a tree 50 unemployed pilots fell out, not so any more. Big reduction in the number of people learning to fly plus a recent hiring boom has cut many experienced pilots out of the bush etc.

If you can get right of abode, convert your licence, not afraid of living thousands of miles (I should say km) away from a city, any city then read further in the D&G forums.

I did a few years of it and it's hard work, it's hot, not the best paying job around and the aircraft is probably going to be older than you, however, it's a lot of fun. If that appeals, crack on. :ok:

Okavango
2nd Feb 2009, 14:05
Thanks for your advice - sorry I hadn't seen the Dununda forum - have now put a request in there. Redsnail - if you don't mind me asking - what nationality are you? I'm pretty sure I could get a visa, just not necessarily for flying initially.

redsnail
2nd Feb 2009, 14:14
I am fortunate, I have 2 nationalities. Australian (born there etc) and British (dad born in Scotland).

D&G is just like any other forum, can be a tad robust and forthright, much like Antipodeans. :)

However, if you research thoroughly the 2 sites that should answer most of your questions regarding the visa and license. The rest can be found in D&G after a bit of searching.

I loved* my bush flying/scenic time. The skills are transferable to airline ops too.

*most of the time. Like in any job, there were bad days.

MR. PROACH
4th Feb 2009, 15:44
Only if you have a visa (unrestricted 457 etc). Otherwise, forget it.

From someone that knows the pitfalls, trust me. If you can swing either the USA or Africa, then that is a better option (is it just hour building you are after)?

Flintstone
4th Feb 2009, 17:29
Best flying you'll ever do IF you can get a work visa. If you're low time though expect a struggle to get a job and you won't get it by firing off emails. You'll have to go there, get in a car (traditional weapon of choice is a ute) and cover the ground, knock on doors etc etc.

Gazes fondly into the middle distance singing 'Memoriiiiiiies.....':cool:

Okavango
5th Feb 2009, 19:16
Thanks guys. Not really hour building - I seem to be different to most in that I'm more motivated toward low level scenic stuff than the airlines. Does it have to be the 457 visa? I was thinking a 175 or 176 would be ok? With my current profession, experience and quals I appear to qualify and would be happy to work in my current professional role over there in any case.

Pilotpeter
9th Feb 2009, 01:06
Hi there,

Certain countries have got an agreement with the ozzie's and it allows you to work for two years in oz under the working holiday scheme (usually used for bacpackers). There are some specific rules about it which you can find on the immigration website. The best thing is that it'll give you a foot in the door.
I'm from Belgium and came over here looking for adventure, and i found it. I'm currently doing powerline inspections so i've got more flying hours below 150 ft then above. I flew 800hrs this year. I still haven't found a sponser yet but friends of mine who were o the same scheme did.
Get out there, and try. In oz it a matter of being in the right spot at the right time and knowing the right people.

Good luck mate