PDA

View Full Version : Where is Scroggs? is he ok?

Lawn Mower
1st Feb 2009, 23:27
Hi there,

have been reading this forum for a couple of years now and am wondering what has happenened to moderator Scroggs?

On many occasions he was the voice of reason and experience in the middle of the ill informed madness that constitutes this forum....seemed like a top guy from what he wrote.

I remember him writing that he was taking an enforced break from PPrune, possibly due to personal issues, just wondering if he is ok and still about.

Scroggs, I salute you! Your reasoned guidance and advice has served me very well so far in my fledgling flying career!

v6g
2nd Feb 2009, 00:07
My guess is that he became tired of the constant barrage of posts everyday from people who
i) Can't read
ii) Can't write
iii) Can't use a search tool
iv) Can't think or use rational judgement

It's a pity since he provided a good balance but the Pprune zombie army cannot be overcome.

The African Dude
2nd Feb 2009, 00:23
That made me chuckle, v6g...

Keygrip
2nd Feb 2009, 02:49
Tell me about it.

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Feb 2009, 07:38
In 2007 Scroggs escaped to the Los Angeles underground despite being held in PPRuNe's maximum security stockade. If you can find him...

Scroggs is alive and well and living the family life in a chocolate box cottage in the SE of England. His recovery from PPRuNe is going well, the Doctors are satisfied with his progress and whilst he has the occasional difficult day Scroggs is able to function normally.

I on the other hand will probably never recover and am currently the subject of several medical trials and studies.

I like planes & stuf
2nd Feb 2009, 07:56
So then .... I'm 5 years old and I'm trying to pick which preschool course I should pick to get a BA sponsorship direct to the LHS.

PS - Intermodulated is best right? :ok:

PPRuNe Towers
2nd Feb 2009, 08:09
The natural high turnover of this forum as people progress, the general limited age range and the teen, post teen majority ensure that the vast majority of experienced pilots would consider time spent here as a punishment.

It's just a fact of life, we don't rail at it and are thankful that there's always a few genuinely experienced people who will chip in despite the constant wild, wide eyed and woefully wrong dominating threads.

Those who do try to help tend to burn out pretty quickly given that wannabees will normally give precedence to the views gained face to face with an instructor or FTO employee who've never actually done our job over those doing it for real and writing here.

It's extremely difficult for wannabees to accept or even recognise the separation of the flight training world from airline and and business aviation. It seems even more difficult for them to accept they are profit to the former and an unpleasant but neccesary cost to the latter. Only one of them promises they will love you long, long time.

If folks believe an instructor just a year or so ahead of them in the system over those working through their 4th or 5th log book we just have to accept experienced guys becoming jaded with the whole thing and moving on.

Rob

redsnail
2nd Feb 2009, 14:30
PPRuNe Towers
Beautifully said and very accurately summed up.. :(

G SXTY
2nd Feb 2009, 15:12
Sad, but so very true.

INNflight
2nd Feb 2009, 16:13
But shouldn't I start my integrated training now? Seems like a good time.

edit: Scroggs your posts were much appreciated, always a pleasure to follow, lots of good info. Take care.

Cyclopps
3rd Feb 2009, 03:58
If folks believe an instructor just a year or so ahead of them in the system over those working through their 4th or 5th log book we just have to accept experienced guys becoming jaded with the whole thing and moving on.:(

This is very sad but i'd just like to say that for the more experienced guys out there please dont give up and lots of us really appreciate the effort and advice you guys give.Like they say experience is the best teacher.:ok:

Halfwayback
3rd Feb 2009, 20:07
There is a natural exuberance for learning a new skill and flying is particularly so because it allows us to see the world differently - literally!

During this time you have sat next to someone who is a fount of knowledge, has your respect and, in extremis, will get you down safely. This person may be just a couple of rungs further up the ladder or could be someone with a vast wealth of knowledge about the industry.

However, once you have jumped through all the hoops and finally qualified you will soon realise that this industry is not static but is constantly changing to meet new demands. It is only those at the 'coal face' who have an up to date feel for what is actually going on out there. Here in these forums you are fortunate to have pilots who willing pass on their advice to people starting out.

They don't do it for any altruistic reason other than to hand on tips and views that draw on their experience. Believe me - the same mistakes are made over and over and over again!

"It is always better to learn from another's mistake than your own"

HWB