PDA

View Full Version : EMS-Helicopter missing in Turkey

skadi
1st Feb 2009, 14:12
An EMS-Helicopter is overdue in Turkey, he was on a flight from Istanbul to Ankara. Last contact by the pilot reported very bad weather including snow.

skadi

Update:

World Bulletin [ Turkish, Polish pilots killed in helicopter crash ] (http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=35917)

duzcizgi
2nd Feb 2009, 20:20
Crashed in the mountains due to ice formation on rotor blades.
Both the pilot and the observer are dead.
:(
It's a known fact that the mountains that they had to cross are high and temperature is below -10 C these days. Why they didn't take precautions before flight?

zlydzidek
3rd Feb 2009, 08:11
How you know it was iceing?

Helinut
3rd Feb 2009, 14:50
Duzcizgi,

Exactly what "precautions" would you suggest? [Apart from not going]

malabo
3rd Feb 2009, 16:48
From what I read it was just a simple ferry flight to a facility where it could be converted to an EMS role. Not exactly life and death pressure to fly.

Snow conditions are unlikely to be icing conditions. Otherwise all 1000 helicopters that flew in snow yesterday in Canada and the US would have crashed.

Tallguy
4th Feb 2009, 08:49
Does anyone know what aircraft type it was?

skadi
4th Feb 2009, 12:24
It was a EC135P2 ( s/n 406 Reg. SP-HDV )

skadi

Tallguy
4th Feb 2009, 12:53
Thanks Skadi

Phoinix
15th Oct 2009, 07:18
I had no idea that this crash in Turkey took a colegue of mine Andrzej Wojewodzki until I got to sim recurrent yesterday. We were together at TR EC135 in Donauworth / Manching and he was a great man with a good sense of humour.

Even during his type rating he was under constant pressure from his boss, so I can imagine what he was dealing with for this flight.

Andrzej, It's another beautiful f*c*k*n' day here in Germany. Rest in peace.

Quichotte
15th Oct 2009, 12:24
I understand you lost a friend. That is a sad news and i feel sorry.

It was the best EC135 i have ever flown in mountains, MEGHAS glass cockpit, double load hook, winch. And very good and smooth in performance and flight, low on hours, excellent condition. I'd like to wish the ship was never sold and this accident never happened.

tottigol
15th Oct 2009, 22:45
Sad about someone passing unnecessarily.
Condolences to the families.