PDA

View Full Version : Viking Airlines

Pages : [1] 2 3

greatoaks
1st Feb 2009, 08:31
from todays Independent

Directors of the collapsed XL Leisure Group, which fell into administration last September leaving thousands of passengers stranded, have emerged as backers of Viking Airlines, a firm that will fly British passengers to and from the Continent this summer.

Less than six months after XL founder Phil Wyatt was filmed crying on TV, amid the collapse of the firm with debts of more than £100m, his new business Black Pearl Investments, named after Johnny Depp's ship in Pirates of the Caribbean, has taken a 50 per cent stake in Viking through its Icelandic operation, BPI Iceland Ltd.

Alongside Wyatt, Halldor Sigurdarson, XL's former finance director, and former XL director Magnus Stephensen, are backers of the new investment firm behind Viking.
A spokesman for Companies House in Sweden told The Independent on Sunday: "I can confirm the shares for BPI Iceland are represented by a Magnus Stephensen. In the latest minutes that we have received, a company called BPI Iceland owns 30,000 shares in Viking Airlines AB."

Mr Stephensen confirmed that BPI had taken a 50 per cent stake in the airline. From this summer Viking Airlines will fly British holidaymakers, after it struck a deal to sell flights in the UK through Meridian Aviation, a firm run by Jim Wyatt, the brother of Phil Wyatt.

Meridian also recently signed a deal to provide seats in the UK to Kiss Flights, which is run by Paul Moss, a former director of Freedom Flights, a subsidiary of XL Leisure.

In September last year Moss is reported to have said: "Phil was – and is – absolutely devastated by the collapse of XL and is absolutely not involved in Kiss."
An industry source said: "While I'm not suggesting for a moment that Phil Wyatt and the others have done anything wrong, the fact that they are emerging at the heart of the industry less than six months after XL failed will leave many feeling very uneasy."

News of Wyatt's re-emergence comes as many people continue to struggle to get their money back in the wake of XL's demise. Zolfo Cooper, handling XL's administration, has conceded that most creditors are unlikely to recoup their losses.

Meanwhile, figures from PricewaterhouseCoopers released today are likely to provide little cheer for the UK travel industry. In under two years, the number of insolvent tour operators/travel agents has increased by 50 per cent, with 15 going in bust in the final three months of 2008. But PwC's Ian Oakley-Smith, said: "With around 30 airline failures forecast over the next year, travel organisers operating under the Atol scheme will be expected to find alternative air travel for their customers. This could finish off a number of smaller companies."

But he added: "XL had 3 per cent of the market and its demise will have freed up share for other travel companies. As more become insolvent in 2009, this will benefit some of the larger players and the gulf between winner and losers will widen."

IB4138
1st Feb 2009, 08:51
Haven't we had all this before?

The people you name are doing nothing wrong legally. If you have to work, no matter who you are, you go back to what you know and start again.

.....and yes, before anyone accuses a leasing company of complicity on XL, Viking's 2 x 737-800s are ex G-XLAE/J. Nothing sinister, just a leasing company finding a client for it's aircraft in a difficult market.

xtypeman
1st Feb 2009, 09:23
Also remember Goldcrest/Peach Air AirOps Air/Ops Europe

flying macaco
1st Feb 2009, 09:28
If you have to work, no matter who you are, you go back to what you know and start again.

Really? So the out of work pilots, how do they start again and go back to what they know in the current climate?

I think maybe you can understand ex-employees annoyance when they received little to no notice of their impending redundancies, no redundancy pay, etc and then read of these chaps jumping right into another venture when they still owe a lot of people money from the previous one.

I know business is business and I am not claiming they did something illegal (perhaps they did?) but it seems very immoral therefore don't be surprised when there's a backlash!

just_registered
1st Feb 2009, 17:02
is already beginning, Vikings summer programme is full of holes, most tour ops wouldnt touch it with a bargepole.

goldeneye
1st Feb 2009, 18:20
I doubt any Tour operators are going to want to take any capacity, most of the smaller operators that are the likely target for this airline are the ones that got burned when XL collapsed. And the bigger ops are going to stick to TCX, TOM, MON, LS, AEA, JKK etc.

leisurelad
1st Feb 2009, 21:14
maybe having a prgramme with holes in them will do it good. With few aircraft and a busy programme, a few holes leave the opportunity for adhoc/subcharter work and also during disruption, the holes are a godsend.

not sure if you have a full programme or not but considering they have just increased capacity during in april on i believe 5 routes for agents to book surely isn't a bad sign, is it ?

something must be going right to put more capacity on ?

Zuco103
6th Feb 2009, 21:30
XL founder Phil Wyatt’s new business Black Pearl Investments has taken a 50% stake in Viking through its Icelandic operation BPI Iceland Ltd. Halldor Sigurdarson, XL’s former finance director, and former XL director Magnus Stephensen are backers of the new investment firm behind Viking, along with Wyatt. Viking will fly British holidaymakers this summer thanks to a deal with Meridian Aviation, run by Phil Wyatt’s brother Jim Wyatt (Independent). Holidaymakers face an increase in the amount the pay to protect their holiday under the ATOL scheme, as the CAA warns that XL compensation claims has left it dangerously underfunded at a time when more firms are likely to fail.

Buster2
7th Feb 2009, 18:14
Any other thoughts?

just_registered why are you thinking their summer program is full of holes?

VIKING9
8th Feb 2009, 07:39
Buster_2

My thoughts......... A rat is always a rat :\

Fatsglobal
20th Feb 2009, 14:34
Just heard that Excel airways are to re-start trading under a different name this summer from MAN and LGW bases.

Ex employee's asked to come back.....

glider12000
20th Feb 2009, 14:59
Nope Viking are opening a base there after a previous base opening at Gatwick.

flying macaco
20th Feb 2009, 17:10
Don't think all employees can (assuming they want to) get back in, only 2 aircraft at Viking last I heard. Only for the "in gang" I presume.

Raises all kinds of questions of morality for me personally. Would they pay me back the 5 digit sum they owe me from the last escapade?? Would I want to work for people who have caused a lot of heartache for me and a lot of colleagues? Is there any point in having a contract when the last one they gave me was made totally redundant?

I think I'd suggest a better use for the paper this time round...

blueplatinum
20th Feb 2009, 18:03
Do they have a web page?

ian_h1
21st Feb 2009, 17:29
Yes they do although the timetables dont all seem to be online yet although i guess looking at Kiss flights website would show you where Viking will be going.

3REDS
16th Mar 2009, 12:54
Whilst I am very happy that many of my former friends and collegues from XL are back flying again with Viking I have very mixed emotions about this airline.
I just see this airline as a re brand of the former airline which went to the wall owing all its loyal and dedicated staff large amounts of money.

If Phil Wyatt and co have ANYTHING to do with this airline (which I am almost certain they are) then I hope it fails misrably BUT then going off his previous form it will fail anyway leaving people stranded and staff unpaid, whilst he and his merry bunch of mates count their cash whilst trying to think up another name for an airline.

I bet your not crying anymore Eh Phil:{

leisurelad
16th Mar 2009, 14:19
We have covered this topic numerous times and whilst the people behind it are questionable (not my personal view may i add) at the end of the day, its happened, its going ahead as planned as there is not alot anyone can do to stop it happening.

What happened at XL happens across the country in alot of companies, just on a smaller scale and not in the public eye.

Give them a chance and see what unfolds during the summer and then we can all come back here and hopefully look back at what will be a good summer for them.

Thanks

cornishsimon
16th Mar 2009, 16:06
does this refer to VIK based in Sweden?

TSR2
16th Mar 2009, 17:07
Correct, the Viking airlines with headquarters in Stockholm.

SetStandard
16th Mar 2009, 17:33
I’m assuming you mean VIK the Swedish company that has been operating since 2003. They have HQ in Stockholm and ops in Athens if I remember rightly? What’s that got to do with XL?

TSR2
16th Mar 2009, 19:01
What’s that got to do with XL?

What do VIK and XL have in common ...... Meridian Aviation

flying macaco
16th Mar 2009, 19:15
From the independent newspaper:

Last month it was revealed that Phil Wyatt, the founder of XL Leisure, had returned to the travel industry less than six months after the collapse of the company, which folded with debts of more than £100m.

Mr Wyatt, through his business Black Pearl Investments, named after Johnny Depp’s ship in Pirates of the Caribbean, has taken a 50 per cent stake in Viking Airlines through its Icelandic operation, BPI Iceland. Alongside Mr Wyatt, Halldor Sigurdarson, XL’s former finance director, and former XL director Magnus Stephensen are backers of the new investment firm behind Viking.

That's what XL has to do with Viking. I hope they get what they deserve.

SetStandard
16th Mar 2009, 19:43
So a company gets a new investor and they deserve to go under because of it?

What do the employees of Viking, who have been employees since 2003 deserve? To go under with them?

Just playing devil’s advocate......

plumponpies
16th Mar 2009, 20:06
3REDS, Flying Macaco.
Its a bitter pill. Swallow it and move on for christs sake! No one likes a whinger.

just_registered
16th Mar 2009, 20:50
plumponpies - thats the attitude we've all come to know and love from Phil and his cronies. Although I think this latest incarnation of peach may not be destined for greatness if rumours from inside Meridian are to be believed.:}

jamier
16th Mar 2009, 21:37
Some people want them to fail..WHY? They are employing pilots again, employing people who were out of work, employing people who in this current climate are like me wondering where they can get a job (although i have just got my start date for the raf but i still need some money to live on till then)

i hope they suceed and employ alot more people.

plumponpies
16th Mar 2009, 23:17
One of PW cronies i ain't.
I just get fed up with with people wishing doom and gloom on others.
Many of my former colleagues now work for Viking. Good luck to them. I wish the company every success.
Why are people do hell bent on wishing others to fail?
What makes it worse is some of those posting such comments worked alongside those now at Viking.....No Morals some people.
From what i hear the guy's at Viking are in for a good summer:ok:

3REDS
18th Mar 2009, 12:03
Plump....

I do not want people to loose their jobs I think its fantastic that guys n gals are being employed in this current climate so in THAT respect I wish Viking all the luck in the world and believe me they are gonna need it if Wyatt has anything to do with it.
The guy has and always will punch above his weight that was the undoing of XL and not high fuel prices which he tried to make us all believe whilst crying like a child who had just had its arse smacked.

Lets not forget this is the guy who left thousands stranded,loyal staff unpaid and the UK taxpayer picked up the bill for most of it which must have been in the millions if my payments and dole money are anything to go by X 2000+ staff members.

If this is legal then it shouldn't be and more pressure needs to be placed on the goverment and the CAA to prevent what happened just 6 MONTHS ago happening again.

Inspecthergadget
18th Mar 2009, 14:47
Having worked for VIK in ATH i saw sense and left after not being paid for 2 months.
Hope the new management of XL2 look after their staff better.

virginblue
18th Mar 2009, 14:51
Viking is extensively featured in the current issue of Airliner World. This usually is the kiss of death for an airline... :}

Hotel Mode
18th Mar 2009, 15:21
Apparantly some former XL crew being told to turn up to work wearing XL uniform with the badges taken off. Sounds professional.

Chidken Sangwich
18th Mar 2009, 21:23
3Reds - XL is now finished, this thread is about Viking, but as you cant leave it lets look at the facts shall we...

IF you think its great that your ex collegues now have jobs, why do you keep raking up old news? Why should people be worried just because it is alleged that certain individuals are involved with Viking (certain individuals who have been very successful in the past on many occassions may I add!).

Lets get it straight, NO-ONE was left stranded, the CAA repatriated ALL of the passengers. NO loyal staff were left unpaid (assuming you filled in the correct forms!), the tax payer DID NOT pick up the bill for repatriation, it was paid from the CAA ATOL bond, the tax payer did not pick up the debt for the staff - the creditors did!

Yes there may still be a lot of staff that used to work for XL that are now out of work which is unfortunate, but dont forget that when XL started (Sabre) there is no way that they were providing employment for over 2,500 staff either, so dont forget the years of employment that was provided and dont forget there werent 2 million unemployed in the UK last September either!

Investment by individuals IS legal and it isnt going to change, so why dont you just move on and give Viking a chance? I think its employing around nearly 60-70 already that were at XL, so put that back to when Sabre started its exactlky the same!!!

Oh, and Mode - True story apparently, there arent many Airlines that insist that all of their crew have made to measure uniforms, and the little old ladies sewing machine in ATH is working overtime at the moment and cant keep up!

3REDS
18th Mar 2009, 22:57
Chidken Sangwich

Here's the rub pal.

XL Airways was not a victim of the present financial crisis this is one point I want to make crystal clear. It was a victim of one mans struggle for wealth and power when Wyatt decided to lead a management buy out from the previous owners the Avion Group which at the time were cash rich unlike the management buyout team which immediatly loaded the Airline with a large amount of debt which it was later unable to repay hence the collapse.

IF you think its great that your ex collegues now have jobs, why do you keep raking up old news

With friends I am in contact with who are now working for Viking have the view that this is a means to an end and I quote "its is easier to find work if you are in work" and would much prefer to stick pins in their eyes rather than work for Wyatt and his pals. ..BUT this isnt gonna pay the mortgage so what real choice do they have. They will show about as much loyalty as was shown to them in XL. But they do have jobs and are fully aware of the dubious characters involved and I wish them all the luck in the world in finding other employment.

Why should people be worried just because it is alleged that certain individuals are involved with Viking

Err this is an easy one.... Please dont tell me you have forgotten the fact that XL was still taking online bookings on both is ATOL and non ATOL protected sites even when both the BBC and Sky News were breaking the news that the company was about to go into administration.
On its non ATOL site this amounts to nothing more than theft and even the poor sods that booked on the ATOL protected sites have had to wait months for a refund and many people lost holidays in the process.
Oh and lets not forget the sale of XL France and Germany on the day XL UK went bust...Where did this money go?? Not to the creditors I can assure you.

Not worried? I would be if I had just booked with Viking if the very same people are now involved. But I guess your gonna tell me I worry too much!!

certain individuals who have been very successful in the past on many occassions may I add

Oh yeah! Please tell because I have spent ages on the internet doing a search about Wyatts past and present tradings and can find nothing positive.

Lets get it straight, NO-ONE was left stranded

Really, when did the CAA repatriate non ATOL booked customers. And the poor buggers who had booked hotels via XL Holidays.

NO loyal staff were left unpaid (assuming you filled in the correct forms!), the tax payer DID NOT pick up the bill for repatriation, it was paid from the CAA ATOL bond, the tax payer did not pick up the debt for the staff - the creditors did!

I think you will find that the CAA ATOL bond was insufficient in covering the costs to repatriate all of XL's passengers and the CAA/GOV did indeed have to dig deep to meet the costs involved hence the British tax payer did infact pay for a large part of the rescue.

Phils big beef at the time was he wanted to repatriate his passengers. You have gotta love this guys business acumen or barrow boy roots. His Airline is on its arse and he is still trying to make money from it. And please dont say he just wanted to help his passengers, people like Wyatt do nothing for nothing.

This quote proves to me that you are either ex higher management who paid themselves before the axe or you have never worked for XL. May I suggest that you educate yourself with the facts of what actually happend before making such silly comments on here.
Let me assure you I did fill out the correct forms but was still left with a LARGE!!! shortfall along with ALL of my former flight deck collegues.
It all depends on what you call getting paid.... getting a max £300 a week for monies owed when my salary was closer to £800 and this included the annual holiday entitlement aswell which I hadnt taken, silly old me!
Duty Pay UNPAID
Expences UNPAID
Travel UNPAID
And had to wait about 3 months for the money to roll in...Try tellin that to the bank manager.

Oh and BALPA! guys if any of you are members might I suggest you do something more useful with your subs each month. They were looking at XL's books for months but decided with the management not to tell us the bad news just incase we might want to leave and secure our future. Funny I thought BALPA was supposed to support its pilot members. And throughout the whole affair were useless and even had the nerve to carry on charging my subs albeit £3 per month and let me tell you that was too much for what they didnt do!!!

The only good thing in all of the mess was that the company went bust mid month and not at the end which would have cost me a few more quid. So thanks Phil I owe you one.

This is my point:

With headlines in the press such as:

XL directors take secret Viking stake. (Why secret oh i forgot they dont want you to know about the previous airline and holiday companies they ran just incase you have the sense not to book with them)

and

British holidaymakers could fly this summer with airline owned by executives besieged by creditors

The public and staff have a RIGHT to know who they are booking with and working for.

If 100% of the traveling public were to know about the people involved with this airline just 6 months after leaving a previous airline in such a financial mess which other people have had to pay for whilst they are busy counting their cash I can honestly say it would last no longer than 2 months.

BUT if the traveling public are made fully aware of the previous dealings of Wyatt and Co and becomes a success then at least something good has come out of the unholly mess and you would never hear me criticise Phil Wyatt or any of his partners again.

I guess it's all about honesty, isnt that what we all want and deserve.

End of rub.

3REDS

MuddyBoots
19th Mar 2009, 08:23
To Chidken Sangwich

Reference your quote that no loyal staff went unpaid. While I may have received some monies from the Government's Insolvency Fund, my claim for close to 40000 GBP in unpaid wages, leave, and notice pay seems to indicate to me that several of us former XL employees were in fact not paid.

Now that said, I wish those former colleagues of mine who have taken work with Viking the best of luck. I have no comment on PW, other than I feel screwed over. I am now happily employed elsewhere, and am getting on with things elsewhere.

Regards

Muddy:suspect:

sirbobalot
19th Mar 2009, 10:16
Myself and a few of my friends are starting with Viking next week, we all worked for XL, and none of us feel like it's a means to an end, we're actually really excited about it. What happened was awful, and yes I never got paid everything XL owed me, and I've struggled ever since but I'm not holding any grudges, life goes on!!

plumponpies
19th Mar 2009, 15:18
I understand why you guy's feel bitter about what happened with XL.
But muddying the name and reputation of an airline that is trying to make headway in these difficult times is uncalled for.
I really don't think you hold much respect for your former workmates or their future, as you appear persistant and relentless in your desire to see Viking fail, purely because of its link to former XL directors.
PW is still solvent and trading, still in the travel industry. So what.
If your a plumber and your company/business goes tits-up, your not gonna hang up your blow torch and try something new whan all you know is plumbing. You go back to what you know, hopefully lesson learned, pick up the pieces and start again.
XL left a void that could be filled.
Viking was an airline that was investable, that could grow to fill that void. I'm sure it will.

On a personal note, i was left with next to buggerall last September just like everyone else. BALPA .....Well its already been said, "effing useless."
What i didn't do was sit down crying into my cornflakes and wondering why!
So please, put away the Phil Wyatt vodo dolls' and stop torturing yourselves.

sirbobalot
19th Mar 2009, 17:07
Well said plumponies

air2bob
20th Mar 2009, 01:29
Myself and a few of my friends are starting with Viking next week, we all worked for XL, and none of us feel like it's a means to an end, we're actually really excited about it. What happened was awful, and yes I never got paid everything XL owed me, and I've struggled ever since but I'm not holding any grudges, life goes on!!:ugh:

More fool you, sell your soul to the devil and all that.

I know not many airlines are looking for staff but there are better companies out there who would value your experience even if it is a temp contract.
I also fear this outfit will not be around for long who seriously would set up an airline in this economic climate? package holiday booking are seriously down and I know for a fact the people who are booking want reliable well known airlines after 2008 fiasco of xl/zoom.

noseyboy
20th Mar 2009, 08:11
"More fool you, sell your soul to the devil and all that."

Well i'd love you to go and say that to the families, partners and kids of new employees. I get the feeling they would tell you where you can stick your opinions.

In the end of the day, there are over 2 million unemployed, in the last 2years the airline industry has taken a serious battering - so to have a job whether pilot, cabin crew or ground staff with Viking is better than sitting on your bum watching "This Morning" and dreaming about the airline boom of previous and earning £90 every 2 weeks or what ever it is.

Air2bob - your right not many people are recruiting but honestly tell me and everyone on here - if you were in the same situation that you lost your job with your present company and Viking came along and offered you a job, what would your partner say? How about your children? how about the morgage company?

Would they say do it, we need the money or no dont i think so there are better airlines around, wait for them and see.

I doubt its the latter on. Remember bills dont pay themselves.

Put it in to perspective, put yourself in someone elses shoes before slating people and telling then they are doing wrong. Its very hard to make an informed decision when everything is rosy for you - or is rosier than for the folks who are unemployed!

"I also fear this outfit will not be around for long who seriously would set up an airline in this economic climate?"

There is a void left over by no longer having XL, and other airlines who went bust. Smaller tour operators, which of course at the present climate could be seen as dodgy grounds still need airlines to fly their passengers. Many tour operators dont want to use the big charter airlines like Thomsons and Thomas Cook due to the branding issues. For example on ex FCA aircraft the seat backs mention the web address, the pre landing into resort video covers what FC holidays could do for you and the after take off video on the way home was a 5 min promo on FC brands. Not great if you own a small tour operator and want repeat business because a lot of people will look at First Choice etc for there next holiday.

Furthermore if the small tour operator can buy in a seat from Viking cheaper than from Thomsons or Thomas Cook - then that is what they will do! Help keep costs down, keep people travelling and keep more people in jobs.

If you can make a business work in a recession then in theory you can make it work in a boom time - assuming its managed well. And we wont no if it is for sometime. Its like saying Billys going to be a bad parent before the babys born - only time will tell.

"and I know for a fact the people who are booking want reliable well known airlines after 2008 fiasco of xl/zoom." - yes people do but when booking 2 weeks in Minorca with the Tui Group is £250 more than with small tour operator flying on Viking, people will fly with Viking. Prices and money drives the world.

I say good luck to Viking and good luck to all new employees, and please can we stop slatting them and the folk on here who are trying to best for themselves and their families.

noseyBoy

leisurelad
20th Mar 2009, 12:22
Well said noseboy :D:D:D

Viking has been around for quite a while working for many different tour operators during the summer season and also had a close relationship with XL.
Viking probably know XL better than anyone because of the work they did for them in the past.
XL went, Viking saw the opportunity and with the input from former XL chiefs, new aircraft, new branding (comming soon) and a new start. I'm sure Viking will end up being just as good as XL were and will make many people proud to work for them.

Viking is not a new airline as some people think it is, its been going for a long time, if they hadn't of come in a filled the gap then i'm sure someone would have.

There were rumours that a Gary Farley (not sure who he is) was due to start a similar operation this summer, were are they, doubt that will happen.
I'd rather Viking who know what they are doing be here than a completely new start up.

Good Luck Viking :ok:

(ps: the seats are selling well too , lets keep it up)

leisurelad
20th Mar 2009, 12:35
check out the new website and look

www.vikingairlines.com (http://www.vikingairlines.com)

Looks good and a massive difference to the old site :D

plumponpies
20th Mar 2009, 13:41
Looking good!:ok:

globetrotter79
20th Mar 2009, 18:03
Nice, professional-looking website.

I note that there is no fleet information, only that the entire site is smattered with comments about the next generation B737-800 aircraft.

I can't help feeling that half of their passengers (if the Airliner World article that they have proudly linked to is indeed correct) will be rather disappointed to instead be flying on a B737-300 Classic. Will these aircraft have the same interiors (i.e. IFE) as the -800s??

TSR2
20th Mar 2009, 22:58
Just been looking at destinations from Manchester in August this year.

28 destinations are listed but 2 are seasonal. Of the remaining 26 destinations, only 13 have actual flights. Of the 13 actual flights, 12 are once weekly and one (SSH) is 3 per week.

Not the flying programme heralded on the home page. Perhaps a cautious start.

leisurelad
21st Mar 2009, 00:05
I think part of the programme has been subbed out, Pegasus Airlines doing the Dalaman flights on a friday and saturday from Gatwick.

Cautious start, i think that is wise whilst they await the delivery of all the aircraft, next summer will no doubt be a full programme from start to finnish with Viking.

UFGBOY
21st Mar 2009, 12:36
A-c gonna be on Candian reg.?

SAM-EMA
21st Mar 2009, 18:48
Yes, so they are interchangeable with Sunwing of Canada, between our peak summer and their peak winter periods. Also, hence the slight similarities with the new livery.

SAM-EMA

TSR2
21st Mar 2009, 21:04
Was speaking to a travel agent this morning who was absolutely furious with Viking. They have cancelled without explanation her flight from Manchester to Tenerife in June, but provided a full refund.

TartinTon
21st Mar 2009, 22:52
Isn't this the same bunch who were behind Excel? Bunch of shysters...hold on to your cash. Doubtless the "trade" will back them as always adn then bleat and moan about how their passengers complain when the firm goes tits up and the pax are left out of pocket. The agent will have, of course, already pocketed their cash having recommended the airline in the first place..:yuk::yuk::yuk:

windytoo
22nd Mar 2009, 14:01
I am sure the passengers are going to enjoy the 4 sector return flights to Banjul this summer on a poxy Boeing 737-300.........NOT!

UFGBOY
22nd Mar 2009, 17:53
Could be sold as the above ;)

OliWW
22nd Mar 2009, 18:23
I dont think that it will be that bad, I mean, yeah the B733 could be better, but XL used to operate Greece flights which had to stop for fuel, e.g Skiathos and Kavala, and thats only a 3/4 hour flight. I think customers will understand for a 5/6 hr flight

plumponpies
22nd Mar 2009, 19:05
BJL will be operated by 738's.

spencer-owen
22nd Mar 2009, 20:08
Does anybody know if Viking Airlines staff get staff travel with other airlines..... ??????

Direct VTB
22nd Mar 2009, 21:11
Plumponpies

Might be on the 738... they'll still be stopping for fuel in FAO though.. Unless they're gonna use reduced loads... Looks like the contract is back @ Monarch though end of this summer... !!:ok::ok::ok:

plumponpies
23rd Mar 2009, 00:29
738 does BJL direct from LGW no problem. Thats with 189 pax. Done plenty of them. Maybe once from memory we dumped a few bags, only on the return though.

bacardi walla
23rd Mar 2009, 06:58
How does one book seats on Viking. The www doesn't appear to have a bookings page :ugh:

leisurelad
23rd Mar 2009, 11:57
All viking flights are sold through tour operators, with Kiss Flights being the main providor for Viking but at present, does not show the BJL flights so this flight is probably through another tour op.

airhumberside
23rd Mar 2009, 12:05
Banjul is for The Gambia Experience (and maybe others as well)

brucey12401
23rd Mar 2009, 22:13
LOL ARE YOU A FOOL!!!!! we are not going to be operating a 4 sector route from Banjul on a 737-300, I work for the airline so i have access to our exact flying programme exactly were each aircraft will be and when! and I can tell you our 737-300 is going down to be based in Bournemouth the other one will be in Copenhagen and the other Gatwick but will not be going to banjul from any of those airports so dont know were you got the 4 sector banjul route from lol! The Banjul will be a normal 2 sector flight on the Boeing 737-800, Also the Dalaman flights are not going to be operated by pegasus airlines we are sending one of our 737-800's out to Turkey for the summer to operate flights from their into the UK using the pegasus flight code, it will be LGW crew going out with the aircraft. MAN crew will be operating on one of our 737-800 aircraft which will be operating for us in the summer and sunwing in the winter!

Hope this clears up all of your un-true rumours and silly ideas!

Also as for staff travel we dont need it, we get free flights were ever we want to go when ever we want to go with Viking! we dont even have to pay any taxes! not that this would make any difference to anyone!

Ballymoss
23rd Mar 2009, 23:02
There's an h in where

LOL, as you like to say

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

windytoo
24th Mar 2009, 11:48
I hope you won't be laughing out loud too much when Mr. Wyatt (Jim or Phil), it doesn't really matter, legs it with all the money again.

oliversarmy
24th Mar 2009, 14:24
windytoo

I hope you can back that up, its quite an allegation??

SetStandard
24th Mar 2009, 16:20
What would you like me to do then? Its either I work for Viking, go to Lagos or leave flying. But iv got to pay the bills somehow. :confused::suspect:

FlyingFromTheUK
27th Mar 2009, 16:42
Hey Folk

Viking have got in touch with myself regarding a interview and i'm thinking of going along

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the interview is like and what the pay is aswel, that is being offered
Am i right in thinking its on TEMP

Thank You

brucey12401
28th Mar 2009, 16:49
You would be on a different contract to the current crew, myself included, as we are permanant, however all new crew coming in are temporary, the basic is £11,500, commission is 8, 10 or 12% depending on if you meet the bar targets, and your flight pay is £3 per hour with £25 per night away from base allowance. Your flight pay and commission is taxed as well as the salary. Your slightly different to us as we are tax free flight pay etc and we are permanant, however their is only about 30 of us that is permanant. Our assesment day is ok you should go along, you will have an exam on general knowledge and maths, and depending on your score will depend on if you make it through to the next round when you will have your interview, its nothing to major, if you go for it my advice would be just be yourself! Hope this helps!

leisurelad
28th Mar 2009, 17:44
Just sent you a pvt msg brucey

Thanks

rumair999
29th Mar 2009, 08:11
Is the second B738 at LGW yet?

Nakata77
29th Mar 2009, 12:02
Don't forget Viking are basing a B737-300 at BOH this summer for the Palmair flying. May be positions on the flight deck available?

Lauderdale
31st Mar 2009, 14:50
.....soooooo.....will the operation be dispatched out of the UK? Or from Greece? Would be nice - looking at some of the job losses LGW has suffered over the last 24 months or so - if they set up an Ops base here at LGW.

There sure a few empty premises available at the mo'!

:ok:

spider_man
31st Mar 2009, 16:55
Any word on Viking B767s from winter 2009?

opsjockey
2nd Apr 2009, 07:36
Word on the street is that Astraeus are operting the Viking BOH-ACE-BOH today ...

rumair999
2nd Apr 2009, 07:37
AEU647 09:10 Lanzarote Gate Closed
from BOH website,

EastMids
2nd Apr 2009, 10:34
Former bmibaby 733 G-BYZJ now kicking around EMA with VKG titles, so looks like the classics are on the way

A

Jaydubya
2nd Apr 2009, 15:36
Anyone know if they are recruiting flight deck.I hear plenty of recruitment for cabin crew but nothing for pilots. Also any XXL flight deck flying for them at the moment? XXL myself and still not heard anything.

Lauderdale
3rd Apr 2009, 07:29
Fair point Jaydubya.......

You would think that as they will have a local cc base they would have a local fd base to go with it?

Where will the crew report at LGW - anyone know?

stuart-travel
3rd Apr 2009, 08:36
Does any person know if Viking will have 2 a/c based at man
one for viking/i.t work and one for Goldtrail flights man and ema.

regards
stuart

sirbobalot
3rd Apr 2009, 16:07
Only one aircraft to be based at Manchester at the moment

globetrotter79
3rd Apr 2009, 18:53
Looks suspiciously as though the EMA-Greece flying originally put up for Goldtrail may have been scrapped.

leisurelad
3rd Apr 2009, 19:48
I was under the impression that it was just LGW/MAN that Goldtrail would be selling for Greece on the Viking Flights.

Never heard of them wanting to do East Midlands this year but maybe wrong !!

Little Blue
3rd Apr 2009, 19:59
Viking have got G-BYZJ ?!! GOOD LUCK !!

stuart-travel
4th Apr 2009, 09:06
Goldtrail website shows flights with viking from ema as at 4/4/09 to
cfu/her/kgs/rho/zth all w flights from man.

regards
stuart

OliWW
4th Apr 2009, 15:05
Ive just been on the website and checked it and non of the flights which used to be there, Kos, Zante, Corfu, Heraklion, Rhodes and says there is a problem with my search from EMA

LPFR
4th Apr 2009, 21:44
Saw today for the first time their MD83 based in BOH. Talk about an ugly, meaningless livery on it - besides the MD itself, not the cutest plane around imo. :rolleyes:

LPFR
5th Apr 2009, 12:15
Oh ok, thanks for the information :)

Just took a look at their website, the actual Viking livery looks quite nice, good choice of colours.

stuart-travel
6th Apr 2009, 07:51
Oliww; should read flights from 6july 2009 to end sept 2009

ema to cfu/her/kgs/rho/zth all show viking flight nos

regards
stuart

FlyingFromTheUK
6th Apr 2009, 11:16
I was wondering if there was any truth in Vickin pickin up a 767 a week ago?

Just it was getting spoke about on Sat night, when out way folk...

BOHEuropean
6th Apr 2009, 11:52
What livery will the 737-300 operating for Palmair be wearing? Just white with Palmair titles?

plumponpies
6th Apr 2009, 22:32
No plans for 767's.
As for Palmair flights, Viking livery.

ReadyToGo
6th Apr 2009, 23:17
Is this the same Viking Airlines that flew MD83's from Newcastle to Crete, and regularly offloaded all the bags to reduce weight. I remember that making the news!

I think NCL actually banned them from flying into the airport because of this.

RTG!

leisurelad
7th Apr 2009, 17:23
somehow i doubt they would be banned for offloading bags, even if it was a common thing because of the aircraft used at the time. Viking operated out of there for a while so whilst the handling company may not like it, the airport wouldn't ban them for this reason alone.

there are many flights everyday that face weight and balance issues with even the best airlines.

RingwaySam
7th Apr 2009, 18:03
Does anybody have a timetable for the summer flights from all UK airports? If so anychance of PMing me thanks.

transwede
7th Apr 2009, 18:26
Viking were not banned from NCL. Yes during their summer of operating a once weekly Heraklion charter, there were weight and balance issues on a weekly basis and yes they did hit the headlines - but banned, don't think so! A MD83 is just not the right aircraft for NCL-HER!

rumair999
7th Apr 2009, 19:44
What is up with Viking at the mo, Blueline flying for them, a Dutch Airline cant remember the name and now a Tor fly or someone ?

Ollie1
7th Apr 2009, 19:48
Arkefly have been doing some flights from Gatwick

wings1950
8th Apr 2009, 18:46
Im guessing that Meridian has a high workload-making them hugely more profitable than a partnership with Viking could ever have been.

My colleagues have mixed views on this. Im undecided,but let's hope so

OliWW
8th Apr 2009, 22:14
I've been looking at both the Viking timetable and the Kiss Flight timetables, and they are both exactly the same and there is not any room within the MAN timetable for flights into EMA on behalf of Goldtrail. The MAN timetable is full. LGW looks quite full as well, on some days (for August) there are 4 Departures in the Morning, but on some days there are just 2 or 3 Departures, what happens with the other aircraft? I do not see how CFU, HER, KGS, RHO and ZTH can fit into the MAN based aircrafts timetable

CFU, KGS, RHO can fit in for the Goldtrail EMA flights from LGW but not MAN, ZTH and HER cannot on the days which are "suggested" by Goldtrail.

Another thing that I do not quite understand is that 1x B733 is going to cover Palmair apparently and with 4 Departures from LGW on some days, does this mean that there will be 2x B733, 1x B73H and 1x MD83 on these days, seeing as SE-RDI is still in Viking's fleet?

MUFC_fan
8th Apr 2009, 22:22
Will it be a 73W at MAN?

ReadyToGo
8th Apr 2009, 23:52
Ok, maybe "Banned" was the wrong word to use.

From my understanding (which may or may not be correct, this is what I was told), they were regularly flying out of NCL with less than half of the bags on board. The Airport and Servisair put a LOT of pressure on them to either make a tech stop, or reduce their passenger loads.
Servisair threatened to cancel the contract, which would have left them without a handling agent, as Swissport were not prepared to handle them either. This effectively would have blacklisted the company from the airport I imagine.

In the end, I think some of their flights did make refuelling stops just to keep the peace. Still by the looks of things, Viking have made a lot of changes since then, perhaps NCL might welcome them back!

RTG!

sirbobalot
9th Apr 2009, 05:43
Sunwing 737-800 out of Manchseter for the summer.
As far as I know the MD83 will not be used for the UK operations, think it's in Greece.

stuart-travel
9th Apr 2009, 07:49
Just recived my copy of aviation news may 2009

in commercial news page27

Viking Airlines will be operating 12 flights a week from Manchester and East Midlands this summer on behalf of new tour operations set up by ex-XL staff.

regards
stuart

OliWW
9th Apr 2009, 09:52
Either their timetable is wrong and the flights to EMA are going ahead its just not been published or MAN are getting a second aircraft, I dont see how they would fit in to their timetable which is published

MARKEYD
9th Apr 2009, 10:46
There are a couple of days in the Palmair flying schedule this summer from Bournemouth when there are no flights on a Tuesday and Sunday and some months on a Saturday afternoon in July / August / September after the aircraft arrives back from Palma so it may be that the aircraft position s off to another airport ?

At the moment Palmair are using a mix of MD83 aircraft from Blue Line and Viking to operate there flights

paully
9th Apr 2009, 14:18
Is it just me or is this beginning to look like yet another operation, not to base your holidays round :=:{

Rainboe
9th Apr 2009, 17:04
I have it from elsewhere that the operation is stabilising with a different operator and equipment.

leisurelad
9th Apr 2009, 17:45
Well some of the turkish routes seem to have either Pegasus or Freebird flight codes.

Is astreus lending a helping hand at all as i see they are recruiting for crew and over on the Palmair thread someone has put that Astreus will be operating the flights for Palmair and not Viking !!

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash as always. Maybe the freebird and pegasus seats showing are just a small allocation to cope with the demand for flights to turkey.

If you look at the pricing between easyjet and kiss flights, kiss quite often come in around the same or cheaper, and as an agent, commission aswell so even better for us.

Thanks

OliWW
9th Apr 2009, 19:52
Astreaus are operating the flight for the first month apparently, using either a B733, B735, or B73G, depending which aircraft are available, if they don't operate the route then it will most likely be Blue Line until Vikings other B733 arrives in May 09

sam1993
14th Apr 2009, 10:43
I have just had a look on the Palmair website and the Bouremouth flights all have an Astraeus (AEU) for the whole summer season. As Astraeus are due to take delivery of another 737-700 perhaps they will be operating the flights on behalf of Viking for the whole summer and Viking will not be seen at Bournemouth

Regards
Sam

ReadyToGo
15th May 2009, 22:53
Lots of confusion at Newcastle from what I am told. Passengers booked with Viking, transferred to SAGA and OnurAir flight numbers.

Seems to me that Viking over-extended themselves with their operation, or had sub-contracts that have let them down.

RTG!

transwede
16th May 2009, 11:24
There is some kind of cooperation between SAGA Airlines of Turkey and Viking regarding their NCL flights, though exactly what nobody seems to be clear on. Flights operated so far under SGX codes, with SGX aircraft - nothing to do with Viking? BUt all check in displays etc displaying Viking logo? Will it be the case where VIK aircraft may well operate some of the SGX flights once the summer is in full swing? Agree - bit confusing for the punters!

sam1993
16th May 2009, 16:47
If you have a look on the timetable section of the Viking Airlines website it is showing all flights to Bodrum and Dalaman which Saga Airlines are meant to be operating. Perhaps these flights will be operated by Viking aircraft.:confused:

Sam

Buster the Bear
21st May 2009, 16:03
Viking hailed as operators lifeline

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chris Gray

A charter carrier with links to the failed XL Leisure Group has been hailed as the saviour of small operators.

Noel Josephides, Sunvil Holidays’ managing director, said the carrier had been a lifeline.

Viking Airlines and its sales agent Meridian caused controversy in the trade because of their XL links, and some operators had hoped a rival to Viking would emerge to plug the gap left by XL.

Small tour operators were concerned they would struggle to find capacity this year and claimed the big two were refusing them seat allocations (TTG October 24, 2008).

“We needed another charter airline because there has to be competition and there was a feeling after XL collapsed the charter airlines could charge what they liked. Thank goodness Viking came along as we need that capacity,” he said.

But other sources say seats are now being dumped on the market.

A senior tour operator executive expressed surprise that he had recently been offered large numbers of seats for this summer by Viking.

And a charter airline source was surprised at Josephides’ support for Viking, claiming it had put too much capacity into Greece and other markets, which he said was in no operators’ interest.

He claimed Viking had been unable to use aircraft for a planned Turkey programme and was trying to redeploy them.

Josephides said Viking had been aggressive on pricing and had provided a good service.

All charter airlines were now “dumping capacity”, he added. “All you have to do is ask and you are offered capacity.”

Meridian initially owned Kiss Flights, headed by Paul Moss, the former boss of XL seat-only supplier Freedom Flights, although it was subsequently sold to Flight Options.

Former XL chief executive Phil Wyatt’s brother Jim is a director of Meridian.

And the Icelandic franchise of Phil Wyatt’s venture, Black Pearl Investments, has a 50% stake in Viking Airlines.

Tui and Thomas Cook insisted they had offered capacity to third-party operators.

sam1993
21st May 2009, 17:42
It's nice to hear something good about this airline instead of all the usual negative comments!
I, for one, wish Viking every success in the future and hope that starting UK charter flights proves to be one of the best decisions in the airlines history! :ok:

Sam

BOHEuropean
23rd May 2009, 17:22
Does anyone know what aircraft are operating the following flights this week:

VIK836P ROME-HURN 2125 TUE
VIK831 HURN-INNSBRUCK 0700 WED
VIK081P STOCKHOLM-HURN 0710 FRI
VIK851 HURN-NAPLES 0800 FRI

Ta

brucey12401
23rd May 2009, 21:06
The reason for the SGX flight codes is because viking are operating flights from turkey for Saga Airlines for the summer season. And as for BOH the plan was to operate flights from BOH for a couple of months until astraeus came in and operated them which is what we done, cannot comment on EMA have not heard anything with relation to this.

ReadyToGo
23rd May 2009, 22:34
Other way around I think Brucey.

NCL has been "advertising" flights as Viking (on screens etc), and passengers have been booked with Viking by the agents. But my understanding is that the aircraft, crew and flight number changes from VIKxxx, to SGXxxx, or OHYxxx when people turn up at the airport.

All VIK flights from NCL have so far been Saga Airlines, or some other Turkish outfit called TrailWinds. Though there is definately a VIK flight number on a flight to Verona tomorrow! (well according to the website). Wonder if that will change too?

RTG!

transwede
24th May 2009, 11:00
Viking proper have taken over a few of the adhoc flights on behalf of Newmarket Holidays, hence todays VIK flight. These will be operated by Viking aircraft, not sure whether 733, 738 or the Mad Dog!!!!

goldeneye
24th May 2009, 11:02
VIK operated a Pula flight from Exeter this past wednesday.

airhumberside
24th May 2009, 19:55
B737-300 used for HUY's Newmarket Verona flight, though I see a positioning flight from Stockholm in the list and I think Stockholm is an MD-83 operation (used to be anyway)

True Blue
25th Oct 2009, 16:55
Did a search but could not find any info on my question. The flights that Viking operate between Lgw and Stockholm, do these operate as scheduled flights, or seat only on a charter flight? The Viking site shows a timetable but you book via another site. If they are scheduled, why not make more of it and why does Lgw not show them on the timetable?

True Blue

TechProblem
31st Oct 2009, 10:34
As far as im aware Viking flights are all Chartar.

ROSSKi MYT
31st Oct 2009, 15:21
I see on Glasgow airport website, that for summer 2010 Viking ar doing a weekly flight to Rhodes, however when i went on Libra to check this out there was sign of it?

OliWW
31st Oct 2009, 16:54
I heard today that VIK will be getting 2 more B73H for S10, true?

EuropaBoy
3rd Nov 2009, 09:36
Maybe for their new contract in Poland ???

sam1993
3rd Nov 2009, 15:38
I heard today that VIK will be getting 2 more B73H for S10, true? Possibly as they are basing one in Crete for their new Greek subsidary Viking Hellas next summer.
Maybe for their new contract in Poland ??? Do you have any info on this?

theshed
3rd Nov 2009, 16:12
thats new!!!

EuropaBoy
4th Nov 2009, 19:46
Viking signed a contarct with Polish tour operator TRIADA for flts out of WAW/POZ/KRK/GDN/KTW to some Med destinations ...wondering if the planes are gonna be based in Poland???

theshed
18th Nov 2009, 19:34
Whats this i hear about them buying Globespan???

Cool Wavy NG738
19th Nov 2009, 17:44
Let's see, we've got Boeing 737-800s, routes, slots and tour operators that are not dissimilar to a certain other carrier that used to be based at LGW.

Tell you what, let's get some knackered old 767-300s and flog them back and forth to Florida and possibly the Caribbean to complete the picture.:rolleyes:

CabinCrewe
19th Nov 2009, 20:27
Whats this i hear about them buying Globespan???
Not much I would have thought.

Surrey Towers
19th Nov 2009, 20:57
They had better get themselves sorted because this winter is going to be very tough for everyone, especially startups. I wouldn't put a penny in any of these new ones until March at the earliest.

aidoair
28th Jan 2010, 16:26
Does anyone know the final fleet plans for the summer season, i.e how many of each aircraft are going to be based at which airport?
They seem to have an increased flight program across the UK this summer which must be good, working for various tour operators. Obviously the main bases being Bristol, Gatwick and Manchester these extra flights will operate on part-based or W flights from these airports i guess.

I believe there will be at least 8 737 aircraft in the fleet for the summer, 5x 738 and 3x 733. Correct me if i'm wrong though!

Cheers
Aidoair :ok:

oliversarmy
28th Jan 2010, 16:31
Summer 2010 fleet ;

Viking (Sweden)
5 x Boeing 737-800
3 x Boeing 737-300
1 x MD83

Viking Hellas (Greece)
2 x A320

11 aircraft.

OA

sam1993
28th Jan 2010, 16:43
CH-Aviation - Airline News, Fleet Lists & More (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.php) and then scroll down to Viking
Does this mean there will be an adiitional 738 this summer (currently stored in Shannon) SE-RHR,S,X + 2 Sunwing aircraft + the ex Axis Airways 737 mentioned above?

bmiboyz
28th Jan 2010, 19:10
Viking are now recruiting on their website for cabin crew based in LCA, can anybody confirm routes etc and a/c to be used??

aidoair
28th Jan 2010, 21:01
Viking are now recruiting on their website for cabin crew based in LCA, can anybody confirm routes etc and a/c to be used??

I'm not entirely sure, but i'm taking a guess its going to be a very similar thing to how XL operated. The aircraft was based there and operated charter flights mainly to UK regional airports over the summer, as well as (even more likely in Viking's case) to other airports around Europe. As LCA to UK routes are quite long in length when combining each way, it helps free up aircraft based in the UK for example to use on other routes while helping them have an increased market share on the LCA route.

As for aircraft based in the UK for the summer, i'm guessing; MAN = 1x 738 (maybe 2?) and 1x 733, BRS = 1x 738 and LGW = 2 738 and upto 2x 733 ?

bmiboyz
28th Jan 2010, 21:29
When you complete the on-line application form you have to speak German???

learjet50
28th Jan 2010, 22:34
Just tell em u can speak German they wont check and all the passsengers will speak english any how

Do the Pilots have to speak German Answer == NO

Whatever u do dont mention the War

Regards

Basil Fawlty

aidoair
29th Jan 2010, 09:01
When you complete the on-line application form you have to speak German???

Well I guess that could mean, that those flights to Europe could mainly include Germany, maybe helping XL airways Germany out...

Just tell em u can speak German they wont check and all the passsengers will speak english any how

Do the Pilots have to speak German Answer == NO

Whatever u do dont mention the War

Haha true enough!

Facts R Us
29th Jan 2010, 10:21
SAM1993 - nope!

Aidoair -
LCA aircraft doesnt come anywhere near the UK.
Helping XL Germany - nope!
Fleet bases - nice try, keep guessing!

NCL1
29th Jan 2010, 12:50
which means.....?

It would be helpful if they gave a little more infor regarding this!

aidoair
29th Jan 2010, 19:38
SAM1993 - nope!

Aidoair -
LCA aircraft doesnt come anywhere near the UK.
Helping XL Germany - nope!
Fleet bases - nice try, keep guessing!

Erm... if you know can't you tell us or is it a big secret?

Can't be anything majorly exciting, maybe a long haul base, army charters hmm guess ill just keep guessing haha!

Cool Wavy NG738
30th Jan 2010, 20:02
So still no links/similarities to XL at all then........?:rolleyes:

globetrotter79
2nd Feb 2010, 11:44
summer 10 aircraft basing something like this?

9x B737-800 (4x LGW, 1x MAN, 1x ARN, 1x WAW, 1x POZ, 1x LCA)
3x B737-300 (1x MAN, 1x BRS, 1x HER)
2x A320-200 (1x ATH, 1x HER)
1x MD-83 (ARN)

738 numbers might be wrong - for example all ARN flying could actually be on MD? I assume they'll start the summer with 5 738s (1 new?) and 2 SW 738s from Canada with an additional aircraft added in June to cover the split operation in GLA June/July and then LGW for the rest of the season

mizake the mizzen
2nd Feb 2010, 12:01
Any ideas on who the Charterers are in Poland?

Facts R Us
2nd Feb 2010, 16:00
Globetrotter 79 - There will only be 5 738's this Summer, I am amazed at the speculation of the fleet size/bases and why it seems so important to some.

Mizake - I don't see the Polish Charterers being named on a public forum.

Flightrider
2nd Feb 2010, 16:12
There will only be 5 738's this Summer

Are you not forgetting the Sunwing aircraft?

ABESI
2nd Feb 2010, 16:13
Hi all guys,
anyone knows if the 2 A320 have already been delivered to Viking Hellas (Greece)?

BEROK1W
2nd Feb 2010, 16:23
Hi all you guys!
I'd like to know if someone knows if they have already hired the flight crew's for those A320 or not...
Thanks in advance!!!!:ok:....

globetrotter79
3rd Feb 2010, 07:55
Facts R Us - firstly sorry for error in my guesstimates...but then you did invite us to "keep guessing" and then appear to get upset when we do?!

Ref importance "to some" of how many aircraft in Viking fleet - I'd have thought that was pretty obvious....given current state of market in Europe, a growing airline means more potential jobs for the large (and, unfortunately, increasing) number of us unemployed crew

excrab
3rd Feb 2010, 08:46
globetrotter,

No need to keep guessing, the summer fleet was correctly listed in post 134 by Oliversarmy.

ABESI
5th Feb 2010, 09:49
Hi guys, any news about Viking Hellas?

LadyP
5th Feb 2010, 12:26
LadyP's son here

I recently applied for the position of Cabin crew in manchester a few weeks ago and I am wondering when I can expect to hear about the result of the application. :confused: The deadline for applications is 10 april but do they not have assessment says before?

ABESI
5th Feb 2010, 13:07
Application to whom?
Viking or Viking Hellas?

VOM1T
5th Feb 2010, 17:55
Any know the load on the first Viking Hellas Sched service today ?

ABESI
7th Feb 2010, 09:36
My information is that Viking Hellas will start to fly on April,but it looks like that have already started to fly.
Anyone can confirm it to me?
Thanks

conti onepass
7th Feb 2010, 14:33
yes its started flying into manchester from athens on 5th feb

Keyvon
7th Feb 2010, 16:40
These flights from MAN to ATH mainly cater for the big expat community of Kurdish people from Northern Iraq, living in UK. Viking Hellas provides connections to Erbil and Sulaymaniah, as well as to the capital town Baghdad.

Ptp tickets to Athens are also available.

Flights from WAW and other Polish airports are sold by local charter holiday firms, flying holidaymakers to Spain/Canary Islands, Greece and so on, within EU. These have been also operated last year by the Viking Airlines of Sweden.

ABESI
8th Feb 2010, 12:53
Ah,which fleet are operating now Viking Hellas?

adfly
8th Feb 2010, 15:01
ABESI- currently its the MD83 but 2 A320's will join soon

Also does anyone think Viking will operate long haul flights in the near future from their major bases I.e. LGW and MAN. If they did i'd imagine they would go for second hand 767's or possibly A332's.

transwede
8th Feb 2010, 15:04
If it does add long haul, would be very reminiscent of a previous UK carrier?!!! PLus, is there a market?

conti onepass
8th Feb 2010, 16:13
im trying to book for may to athens some of the days are already sold out in economy.

leisurelad
8th Feb 2010, 18:24
Don't forget that you can also book flights through Kiss Flights as i believe they have an allocation on the Athens route.

Cheers

BEROK1W
9th Feb 2010, 15:34
AdFly- Hi!!
Do you know when the A320 will start to fly by Viking Hellas?? and are they in Athens Airport yet?

Thanks in advance for your response

Regards

adfly
9th Feb 2010, 16:05
I'm not 100% sure but i'd guess it would be at the start of the Summer 2010 season with one in ATH and one in HER

ABESI
9th Feb 2010, 16:19
That's interesting,1 A320 in Athens and 1 in Heraklion,that would be good,I think that probably adfly refers the start of the flight operation with A320 around April,but to better understand it the most important thing would be to know from which company come the A320's and if they are already in Athens or not.

sam1993
9th Feb 2010, 19:18
The one aircraft registered with the airline, an ex-Viking Airlines MD-83 based in Athens, is only to be used as a back-up, while the core of Viking Hellas’ operations in the beginning will be operated with Viking Airlines’ Swedish-registered fleet of 737-300s and 737-800s out of Manchester. The airline is in the process of acquiring two A320s, one of which will take over the scheduled operations and the other which will operate charter flights out of Heraklion in Crete.Taken from this website (http://www.anna.aero/2010/02/09/start-up-viking-hellas-launches-uk-iraq-flights-via-athens-great-demand-potential/)
At the moment SE-RHV is operating for Viking Hellas :ok:

ABESI
10th Feb 2010, 15:39
It looks like a serious plan for this summer in Greece,do you have any idea from which flight company the A320's arrive?
I think from a flight company or from a lessor,I don't think that they buy it.

Facts R Us
10th Feb 2010, 15:50
A320's - both will come from AWAS leasing.

First one is in UK until mid May, then goes to ATH. Second is split base in Greece.

ABESI
10th Feb 2010, 16:28
Facts R Us,

what are you reffered when you say that the second one is split base in Greece?For the charter flights between Greece and UK?
Anyway I understand that for seeing the first Viking Hellas A320 we will have to wait until mid May,I thought they will start to fly with A320's before considering that the summer there starts very soon.

BEROK1W
10th Feb 2010, 16:46
Facts R US - Are you sure this information you are giving is completely correct??? because I heard that both A320 are already in Greece and will be operating from April for Viking Hellas.....:confused:

Facts R Us
10th Feb 2010, 22:02
Abesi - Split base is between two Airports, 3 days a week in one, 4 days a week somewhere else. First 'VKH' A320 should be flying mid March.

Berok1w - Yes I am sure my facts are correct, hence my user name!

sam1993
10th Feb 2010, 22:07
Facts R Us - Do you know which 2 airports will share the based A320?

Facts R Us
10th Feb 2010, 22:43
Sam1993 - yes I do, however I don't believe any value in revealing them at the moment as I believe they could possibly/will change.

ABESI
11th Feb 2010, 21:31
Facts R Us,

that's looks like more similar to what I heard,first A320 in mid March is different from first A320 in UK until mid May.
Probably you mean first in mid March and second in mid May.
Now I understood what you said about the split base.
Probably 1 in ATH for the line and 1 in split base between Heraklion and ATH for charters.

fjencl
16th Feb 2010, 18:58
Does anybody know if there is inflight entertainment (Movies) on the 737-300 aircraft,
or is it just on the 737-800's

Thanks

ABESI
17th Feb 2010, 14:09
Rumours say that 2 A320 are in ATH in process by Greek authorities to be released to Viking Hellas but it seems they have some problems with this process.
They should start their A320 operations in April but it is to be supposed that the A320 certification by the Greek authorities will take more time.
Anyone can confirm this rumour?

aidoair
17th Feb 2010, 18:13
Does anybody know if there is inflight entertainment (Movies) on the 737-300 aircraft,
or is it just on the 737-800's

As far as I am aware it's just on the 738. The reason I say this is because unless Viking has had it installed on the 733, I do know that the aircrafts previous owner's did not have IFE on them.

Facts R Us
17th Feb 2010, 22:54
Abesi - your rumours are wrong. Both aircraft have 'air tested' in the last two days with no issue, neither are in ATH and normal certification is in process.

Fjencl - All 738's have IFE appart from SE-RHX, however the company is looking into discontinuing mainscreen IFE and replacing this with individual hand held systems. This will mean that there will then also be IFE available in hand held format on the 733's.

ABESI
21st Feb 2010, 21:15
Facts R Us,I'm happy that my info are wrong,this is a good news for Greece.
So if what you say is correct,no doubts about it,like you told me your nick is clear,we will see the first A320 fliyng for Viking Hellas in the midde of March,I think this is great for Greece first of all.

makedonas
23rd Feb 2010, 16:57
Actually they are not in Greece (yet) but it is planned to fly them in on Monday or Tuesday the 01-02.03..

Stay tuned.. :E

fjencl
23rd Feb 2010, 20:54
Does viking do a lot of w flying patterns or are both LGW and MAN flight schedules for the crews just there and back flights ....????

aidoair
23rd Feb 2010, 21:21
Does viking do a lot of w flying patterns or are both LGW and MAN flight schedules for the crews just there and back flights ....????

They do alot of W flying. Even over the winter MAN and LGW crews have been doing many W routes to either base despite both base having their own plane parked up. Just one current example being LGW-LPA-MAN-LPA-LGW usually on a 733 over the winter. In the summer there will be alot more W route flying to airports including EMA, NCL, GLA and I think EDI.

sam1993
26th Feb 2010, 15:57
Viking Hellas new A320s (registered SX-SMT and SX-SMU) have both been painted and are due to be delivered in the 1st week of March :ok:

Picture SX-SMT (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=nav2&picid=6313)

ABESI
5th Mar 2010, 14:04
Any news about he A320's?
:bored:

flya2b
5th Mar 2010, 17:35
Has anbody any new on when recruitment for cabin crew at the larnaca base will start? Some posts seem to have been removed???

The posts were moved to the appropriate forum for them. Your challenge will be to read the forum titles and devine which one that is. Since you can eliminate this one the task should be that much easier. ;)

mathers_wales_uk
6th Mar 2010, 18:49
It is showing on Vikings website that they are operating two flights out of CWL in the summer on a Wednesday?

Will they actually be operating these flights themselves?

ABESI
11th Mar 2010, 10:04
Hi all,any news here about the A320 and about the pilot recruitment?

theshed
11th Mar 2010, 12:36
Airbus pretty much ready to go due to be online next week. First revenue looks to be MAN-ACE on Sat 20th. Recruitment as far as I'm aware is completed for the year.:D

ABESI
11th Mar 2010, 14:26
But finally the A320's going to Viking Hellas are 2 or 3?
I heard that 1 should have been delivered last week and other 2 in the last week of march.

sam1993
21st Mar 2010, 20:59
The fleet for this summer (all Viking groups) is currently:
1. SE-RHR (738)
2. SE-RHS (738)
3. SE-RHX (738) For XL France
4. SE-RHT (733) For Viking Hellas
5. SE-RHU (733)
6. SE-RHV (733)
7. SX-SMS (MD83)
8. SX-SMT (320) Viking Hellas
9. SX-SMU (320) Viking Hellas
10. C-FYLC (738)
11. C-FEAK (738)
12. C-FTDW (738)

I hope this is useful! :ok:
Regards
Sam

sam1993
14th Apr 2010, 13:51
Just to add to the above SX-SMU will also be operating for XL France this summer (replacing a Syservice A320 that was due to operate for them) The flights that were due to be operated by this aircraft will now be operated by the MD83! :ok:

Captain Lampshade
15th Apr 2010, 13:59
will all the c-reg be based in the uk?

sam1993
15th Apr 2010, 15:20
Captain Lampshade, Yes 2 will be based at LGW with the other at MAN :ok:

Captain Lampshade
15th Apr 2010, 16:15
Thanks so does that mean only now three in the uk or are some of the se units here also?

sam1993
15th Apr 2010, 17:03
Gatwick: 4 x 738 (2 C-reg and 2 SE-reg)
Manchester: 1 x 738 (C-reg) 1 x 733
Bristol: 1 x 733
Heraklion: 1 x 733, 1 x 320 (part week)
Larnaca/Paphos: 1 x 320 (part week)
Athens: 1 x MD83
Paris: 1 x 738 (SE-reg) 1 x 320 - both of these aircraft will be operating for XL France

These are the bases for Summer 2010...hope it clarifies your questions :ok:

SAM-EMA
15th Apr 2010, 17:53
What about EMA?

sam1993
15th Apr 2010, 18:01
EMA only sees W-legs from other airports!

CabinCrewe
15th Apr 2010, 19:56
...and what about the GLA base? Currently 733

skywalker1981
16th Apr 2010, 09:26
What about ARN base?

Thanx

sam1993
16th Apr 2010, 10:26
Sorry, the info I gave was for August. A 738 will be based in GLA until the end of July. This will be one of the C-reg 738's which will then be based at LGW from the beginning of August onwards.
As for ARN, there are no aircraft based there - all flights will be operated by LGW based aircraft!

skywalker1981
16th Apr 2010, 10:49
thank you sam. what about ARN crew? they will keep ARN base for the flight deck and cabin crew? who is doing or will do the IRAQ flights?

thank you again,

best regards

mmeteesside
23rd May 2010, 16:31
Can anyone explain the logic behind the MD83 and 733 swap today resulting in Newmarket's Durham-Verona departing 4 hours late?
The MD83 was due to position in from Stockholm and then as it approached the UK the decision was taken to divert it to East Midlands and then do their Zakynthos flight (and back to Bristol) while Durham has to wait for the 733 to arrive from Zakynthos to EMA and then come up empty.

OliWW
23rd May 2010, 18:43
EMA only had a delay of an hour because of it, where as it could have been 3 hours, so Im guessing it cut delays overall more than it would do, if it carried on its normal routes, was a nice suprise at EMA mind you

mmeteesside
23rd May 2010, 22:36
Thats ok for the EMA pax, our flight from Durham (one of those one off Newmarket flights) finally left around 4 and half hours late at 8pm...

Air Hop
24th May 2010, 16:15
Exeter had worse delay. Should have departed to Naples at 1000 on 22nd, eventually departed 0430 on 23rd on a subbed Air Italy B734. Not happy punters to say the least.

one-to-go
20th Jul 2010, 13:27
Any Viking Flight deck crew in here??

Facts R Us
20th Jul 2010, 14:16
one-to-go

What do you want to know?

captaintrigger
26th Jul 2010, 16:49
I have heard that Viking are looking to aquire some Longhaul Aircraft.
A330/B767 mentioned. Anyone know if there is any truth to this rumour??

greatoaks
26th Jul 2010, 19:32
Perhaps they are now ready to take up the old XL long haul routes :rolleyes:

Cool Wavy NG738
27th Jul 2010, 16:14
Of course any similarities between Viking's operation and that of the defunct XL (UK division) are purely co-incidental. :rolleyes:

kazzie
30th Jul 2010, 23:19
We have seen quite a lot of the C- A/C in GLA.

UFGBOY
1st Aug 2010, 10:22
e-tid - Noel?s services are no longer required (http://www.e-tid.com/News-Home/Noel’s-services-are-no-longer-required.aspx)

sam dilly
1st Aug 2010, 13:18
Methinks that Noel has had a lucky escape.
He is probably a much relieved person this weekend !

CabinCrewe
1st Aug 2010, 13:29
Not sure I undertstand what you mean by that.... care to elaborate?

leisurelad
1st Aug 2010, 17:22
Anyone know why alot of fights have been removed from the program from Bristol in October.

They were operating Crete / Kos etc but now no Greek flights in October unless of course all the seats have been sold - which i doubt.

Anyone with any news much appreciated

flybar
1st Aug 2010, 18:01
Goldtrail flights?

clareview
1st Aug 2010, 18:04
Maybe just a gradual end of season run down as often happens at that time of the year

leisurelad
1st Aug 2010, 19:04
Maybe

Just odd that last week there was a weekly crete and kos flight throught the whole of october and now they have all gone.

Can understand a reduction but looks like they have wiped out the whole of october for these routes and cut quite a few others. The corfu flight appears to finish end of August !!

cym
1st Aug 2010, 19:32
Too much cax vs demand?

MerchantVenturer
1st Aug 2010, 22:06
East Midlands and Birmingham airports also see some routes ending early October as at Bristol and some Glasgow routes are shown in the VIK timetable as ending early August presumably because the Scottish school holidays end around then.

Viking is stopping Bristol to Tenerife and Lanzarote in early September when the English school holidays end.

In the past some BRS summer charter routes to Greece have finished in early October - the TCX Kos route is one this year for example.

Given that TOM, TCX and at least one of the lowcost airlines (U2 and FR) compete on most of the Canary routes, with easyjet and Ryanair flying 5 x weekly between them to TFS, it's no surprise that the market is being squeezed. Same applies to Corfu and Heraklion with TCX, TOM and easyJet flying these routes plus ECA to Heraklion in the current peak season.

Although Bristol is outperforming most other airports in percentage passenger growth this year the charter sector is lagging behind.

Airport figures show that overall passenger numbers for the first six months of 2010 are up 4.26% on 2009 with atms down by a miniscule 0.11% which suggests that loads generally may be a bit higher, but the charter sector has seen a 6.46% increase in atms for an increase in passenger numbers of just 1.90%, which suggests there may be an over supply on some routes.

WHBM
1st Aug 2010, 22:14
Although Bristol is outperforming most other airports in percentage passenger growth this year the charter sector is lagging behind.
A general trend. The charters are running away from the low costs into an increasingly thin market. Much of their old mass market, to Spain, has now been lost, as plenty of weekly charter flights are replaced by plenty of daily low cost flights. Faro and the Canaries are going the same way.

Places like Greece, Turkey, the slightly longer haul destinations where bilaterals still survive, and short-season flows like ski flights are their current strength, but that will change as well over time. One thing the charter operators have been good at is developing new areas for themselves rather than failing to adapt and being overtaken by others.

MerchantVenturer
1st Aug 2010, 22:26
Indeed, and Bristol, like most other airports, has lost an enormous number of charter flights and charter passengers over the past few years.

The point I was trying to make is that although the overall passenger numbers are up this year, with scheduled international (the biggest sector by far) up by 6.34% against a rise in sched int atms of just 0.88%, the additional charter journeys this year (the first time for a while that the airport has seen a rise in charter atms year on year) have attracted a disproportionately small number of extra charter passengers, hence my suggestion that some routes were over supplied.

OliWW
1st Aug 2010, 22:46
something like half of the fleet is going back to Canada in early october-november time... one of the reasons why airports such as EMA, BRS, NCL, BHX wont get many flights during the winter, is due to not enough winter aircraft, which is then followed up with demand to many destinations they fly to in Turkey and Greece, where the weather isn't hot enough for a summer holiday, compared to the Canaries where most of their flights will be to. The flights from EMA, BRS etc... should be back for Summer 2011, just not the winter when there is less demand

airhumberside
2nd Aug 2010, 14:16
Goldtrail flights?
They may well have had an allocation, but most if not all VIK BRS flights have had a Kiss Flights allocation as well

some Glasgow routes are shown in the VIK timetable as ending early August presumably because the Scottish school holidays end around then.
Yes. Kiss Flights, who mostly use VIK at GLA, have only ever had most of their GLA flights on sale for 2010 around Easter and then again around June/July for school holidays. These flights ending when they have would be unconnected to Goldtrail. I presume the GLA aircraft is now operating out of an English base

As a side note, Kiss are planning a longer operating season at GLA for 2011. Again I guess they will be using Viking

davidjohnson6
6th Aug 2010, 18:16
Is it because someone got jumpy over the words "Iraq" and "Viking" in the same sentence, or is there something a little more ominous that an insurer knows about ?

Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance (SAFI) for Travel Agents (http://www.scheduledairlinefailure.co.uk/index.php?page=news.html)

mathers_wales_uk
6th Aug 2010, 18:19
I have replied to the Pegasus thread about this topic. See here (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/423308-pegasus-airlines-scheduled-airline-failure-insurance-withdrawn-morning.html#post5853229)

Pooley
10th Aug 2010, 12:09
As the link to make a complaint on their website conveniently does not work can anyone tell me their postal address in the UK?

Thanks

airhumberside
10th Aug 2010, 15:26
You wouldn't think it would be so hard to get a simple address ...

Wikipedia has an address off:
28 Churton Street London, SW1V 2LP
However this turns out to be the address of Flight Options, who own Kiss Flights, a major customer of Viking. Whether this means Flight Options represents Viking is the UK I don't know

The wiki article also states that Viking have another office in Richmond, not that there seems to be anything to verify it

The only thing that does seem certain is their Swedish postal address (not what you wanted I know)
Finspångsgatan 54A, SE-163 53 Spanga, Stockholm, Sweden

HXdave
10th Aug 2010, 23:14
information on the nature of the complaint would be useful..................

after all, from what i understand from working in the travel trade is that Viking airlines are not a Uk airline or a registered UK airline (hence the guy from sunvil no longer having to worry about the operation of said airline)

now if your question is about a reservation on the airline, would this be a direct booking with the airline (and as a non UK registered airlene - then not a damn thing a UK court could argue on), or a booking through a third party who chartered a viking airline aircraft.

MMENCLLBAMAN
17th Aug 2010, 16:52
Travel Weekly:

Kiss Flights ceases trading

Aug 17, 2010 17:30

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2010/08/17/34491/Articles/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=12687
Kiss Flights is understood to have ceased trading with thousands of holidaymakers abroad and many more advance bookings, placing fresh strain on consumer financial protection.
Details have yet to emerge of the failure. A spokesman from the CAA said: "We are waiting for written confirmation."
Kiss held an air tour organiser’s licence (Atol), but it is unclear how many clients are covered by the licence.
This is the latest in a series of failures, including Goldtrail Holidays and Sun4u, in recent weeks.
Seat-only operator Kiss launched in September 2008 following XL Leisure Group's collapse with the intention of targeting the market vacated by Freedom Flights - XL's former seat-only operation.
It is understood Kiss picked up a large number of bookings from the collapse of Goldtrail. Frank Renzulli, the senior consultant of Top Class Travel in Cheshire, said: “Obviously with the Goldtrail collapse we rebooked all our customers on Kiss flights and so we have a massive flying problem.
“It’s going to give the industry a massive headache, it’s the middle of the school holidays and we’ve got the bank holiday coming up. It’s going to be a nightmare.”
Former Freedom Flights managing director Paul Moss joined the seat-only operator in 2008.
The collapse of XL Leisure exposed holes in the licensing system and led to a rise in the consumer protection charge on package holidays – the Atol Protection Contribution (APC) – and spurred efforts to widen the Atol scheme.
Kiss offered flights and accommodation to Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Cyprus, the Canary Islands, Spain and Portugal. It was sold to sports tour operator and dynamic packager Flight Options in January 2009 for an undisclosed sum.

b747 flightboy
17th Aug 2010, 17:24
Heard from a travel agency friend that viking have gone bust. Any truth? I do hope not:{

Affretage
17th Aug 2010, 17:33
Apparently Kiss Flights, Vikings retail arm have ceased trading today. I am afraid it looks like the end of Viking. Good old PW.

The story is here

Kiss Flights ceases trading - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2010/08/17/34491/kiss+flights+ceases+trading.html)

davelongdon
17th Aug 2010, 17:36
A friend of mine has had hi contract terminated as he turned down the chance to fly for Viking out of Iraq :S

BOAC
17th Aug 2010, 17:38
Let's not bury them just yet?While one of Viking’s tour operating customers, Flight Options, (Kiss Flights) has unfortunately gone into administration, Viking is financially healthy and is set to continue its normal UK operations. The company has already put into motion plans to downsize its fleet, immediately reducing the number of aircraft by three. Regrettably, this will result in some job losses, mainly in the UK. It should be noted that the majority of Viking’s operations are based in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Middle East.

For the financial year 2009, Viking Airlines reported a net profit of €3.8 million. The company also reported an equity ratio of 40%. Viking Airlines has no interest-bearing debt.

The company was formed in 2003 and is owned by European Aviation & Technical Services and Black Pearl Investments Ltd.

33percentlonger
17th Aug 2010, 17:40
Taken from Flight Options Important Information (http://www.flight-options.co.uk/)
As of 1700hrs on 17 August the Flight Options group of companies have ceased trading. The Civil Aviation Authority have been informed and we are awaiting further advise on the situation. Please contact the CAA for a further update www.atol.org.uk (http://www.atol.org.uk/)

wouldhave
17th Aug 2010, 17:48
The following statement has been placed on Viking Airlines website - an immediate cut of 3 aircraft from the fleet seems to be on the cards

While one of Viking’s tour operating customers, Flight Options, (Kiss Flights) has unfortunately gone into administration, Viking is financially healthy and is set to continue its normal UK operations. The company has already put into motion plans to downsize its fleet, immediately reducing the number of aircraft by three. Regrettably, this will result in some job losses, mainly in the UK. It should be noted that the majority of Viking’s operations are based in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Middle East.

For the financial year 2009, Viking Airlines reported a net profit of €3.8 million. The company also reported an equity ratio of 40%. Viking Airlines has no interest-bearing debt.

The company was formed in 2003 and is owned by European Aviation & Technical Services and Black Pearl Investments Ltd.

Customers can book seats on Viking Airlines through our website Flyviking.com
and (http://www.and/) we would like to re-emphasise our continued dedication and commitment to our customers.

We will continue to update this website with news for passengers who have booked with Kiss Flights

pappabagge
17th Aug 2010, 17:53
The Powers That Were behind Viking are to be avoided at all costs. They have plagued and tarnished the industry image in Sweden for many years now, popping up at irregular intervals as a world-leading, cutting edge new carrier. Only three problems; i) no funding, ii) no airframes and iii) no infrastructure. The last jaunt they tried resulted in the now legendary Iraqi landing rights débacle. Prior to that whole-page adverts had been taken out in the regional and national press here advertising a wonderful triangular route system running ESGG - ESSA - ESMS clockwise and counterclockwise with simultaneous departures on the hour, every hour, using ONE wet-leased B737NG. Go figure. Avoid like the plague. :rolleyes:

DjerbaDevil
17th Aug 2010, 17:53
From Viking Airlines web site:

Kiss Flights update

While one of Viking’s tour operating customers, Flight Options, (Kiss Flights) has unfortunately gone into administration, Viking is financially healthy and is set to continue its normal UK operations. The company has already put into motion plans to downsize its fleet, immediately reducing the number of aircraft by three. Regrettably, this will result in some job losses, mainly in the UK. It should be noted that the majority of Viking’s operations are based in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Middle East.

Customers can book seats on Viking Airlines through our website Flyviking.com

and
(http://www.and/)we would like to re-emphasise our continued dedication and commitment to our customers.

We will continue to update this website with news for passengers who have booked with Kiss Flights

djms
17th Aug 2010, 18:11
I do hope so.
associated 'management' did the dirty on many many people 2 years ago.
sorry for anyone genuine who will now lose their jobs, probably all over again because of these charlatans

Ms Spurtle
17th Aug 2010, 19:32
Hmmmm..

XL Airways anyone?

mathers_wales_uk
17th Aug 2010, 19:55
Which airports will be affected by the collapse of Kiss?

compton3bravo
17th Aug 2010, 19:59
With the news of Kiss going under and Viking reducing its fleet by three aircraft a number of UK airports - most notably Gatwick, Manchester, East Midlands and Newcastle are going to see their passenger numbers fall even more over the next few months.
I do hope that people in the know so to speak did not book with Flight Options (Kiss) would not have touched them with a barge pole after the XL debacle.

learjet50
17th Aug 2010, 21:05
As Wazzoo said

Viking have NOT gone bust one of there customers have

I Know there are many anti Viking people but at the end of the day they have provided jobs for a good number of People so lets back off and let them get on with the Job

VIKING GONE Bust is NOT an appropriate Title and I hope the Moderators will re direct //Amend the Forum

Best of luck to all involved

fantom
17th Aug 2010, 21:17
Off topic but...

Hello mush don't send me to Eniskillen any more please...

mathers_wales_uk
17th Aug 2010, 21:25
I am not going to waste my breath on this old chestnut. But i raised this issue during the Pegasus / Viking Airlines debate a week or so ago.

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/128917-pegasus-airline.html#post5853229

I wish people would understand that when they type such posts on a popular forum it actually has negative impact on the related airline. These rumours puts passengers off flying with them and tour operators chartering their aircraft.

On the other hand journalists do visit these forums on a regular basis and uses these false statements as fact without investigating thoroughly. It wouldn't be the first time in an incident that a Pprune thread has been quoted.

For the second time in as many weeks Viking Airlines have not gone bust.

Now back to whats really important

Which airports are likely to see the reduction in flights due to Kiss flights entering administration?

Affretage
17th Aug 2010, 21:35
The most important question hasn't been asked or answered. How many seats allocations does Kiss hold on Vikings summer programme ? When Goldtrail failed it had 30.000 seats on Viking. I suspect Kiss has a much larger allocation. If the airline has to operate the flights without getting payment for Kiss' allocation (the now empty seats), how is it going to make ends meet ? Goldtrail was already a major blow for Viking. Kiss might be Vikings 'Kiss Of Death'. Sorry tosay, but we have been here before (remember XL) ? Put PW will re-emerge with yet another airline and the tour operators will once again hand over their cash :ugh:

PENNINE BOY
17th Aug 2010, 21:41
Same set of directors as XL? No doubt they will bounce back up again :ugh:

Button-pusher
17th Aug 2010, 21:50
- 99% of all seats are bought by kiss

Button-pusher!

Affretage
17th Aug 2010, 22:03
- 99% of all seats are bought by kiss

If 99% of all seats are no longer paid for by KISS, what does that tell you ? You don't have to be a chartered accountant to work that one out !

Another complicating factor is that VIKING do not have an ATOL licence. Do you really think that travel agents are going to book with them ? If the airline fails, the travel agents are out of pocket, as the CAA will only cover ATOL protected packages.

I hope they will stay in business, for the passenger's sake. But I have a feeling we will see more crocodile tears before long.