PDA

View Full Version : Windows Mail and Bl**dy Yahoo

Chesty Morgan
31st Jan 2009, 19:39
Evening All,

Just got my new laptop and I'm trying to set up Windows Mail using my Yahoo account.

Apparently you need to be a premium Yahoo user to get full POP3 access. I'll be blowed if I'm going to pay for it though.

Does anyone know a cunning way around this or is it a case of changing E-Mail address?!

Just thought while I was typing that maybe I could setup a Hotmail account, then setup Windows Mail with that account and forward my Yahoo mails to hotmail. Is that going to work?:confused:

Many thanks

A. Technophobic Knoob.:sad:

Chesty Morgan
31st Jan 2009, 21:04
Thanks CBA, I tried all that and now I'm getting a "Socket Error 10061" which according to the interweb could be a Firewall problem but this is now getting way above my limited knowledge. I don't want to start turning things off when I don't really know what I'm doing!

I can send and receive emails from my Yahoo account on the laptop but not with WLM, so is this a client problem?

I'm running Comodo Internet Security Suite in safe mode if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

twiggs
1st Feb 2009, 00:00
If you are willing to give Thunderbird a go, you can get yahoo, hotmail, gmail and a few others using the WebMail extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/).

Chesty Morgan
1st Feb 2009, 09:09
CBA, yep I thought the same about Comodo but I've tried it in Clean PC mode and I still get the same thing. I have checked that WLM has permission for all POP3 and SMTP requests but still get the Socket Error.

I set up a Gmail account and tried WLM with that and it seems to be working fine. I'm now forwarding emails from Yahoo to Gmail to WLM which seems a bit ridiculous but it's working for now. Seems Yahoo are a bit tight with their POP server!

Twiggs thanks for the link, spotted it after I'd done all the above.

Thank you both for taking the time to help.

bsmasher
1st Feb 2009, 09:42
I don't know what the answer to your problem is but I have just a bog standard ( free) yahoo address and the POP3 connection works just fine with Thunderbird.

One thing to think aboutIf you are forwarding emails check the address that you are sending from to make sure it is the one you want the rest of the world to reply too.

Hope you get if sorted

D.