PDA

View Full Version : Google: 'This site may harm your computer' warning.

Gingerbread Man
31st Jan 2009, 14:14
Not long ago, I started getting this warning underneath every search return on Google. When you click on a result you get a warning page and have to paste the address into the address bar if you want to continue. This didn't happen this morning, which confuses me. I thought it might be because I don't have my firewall turned on, but I usually don't as my router has a firewall and switching on the Windows FW stops me form being able to connect to the router for some reason.

Does anyone know why I am suddenly getting this warning? It's a real pain in the arse.

Cheers

Ginger ;)

SeldomFixit
31st Jan 2009, 14:19
Not just me then

BladePilot
31st Jan 2009, 14:19
Getting the same here since about 1400hrs. Google must have been compromised somehow I don't think it's anything to do with your PC or security I think it's a Google issue. I did a full scan of my PC and checked for any errors but she came up clean. if you try using another search engine (yahoo) you won't get the same warning.

GhostUK
31st Jan 2009, 14:21
same here. Its def a google-side problem.

frostbite
31st Jan 2009, 14:24
No sign of it here.

I always get left out!

31st Jan 2009, 14:28
All back to normal now.

Gingerbread Man
31st Jan 2009, 14:30
Oh fair enough. Thanks for the reassurance!

Background Noise
31st Jan 2009, 15:31
I thought it was because of what I was searching for! :O

mocoman
31st Jan 2009, 16:10
Happened to me earlier as well

Already a story about it on BBC news website; Google are investigating

mustpost
31st Jan 2009, 17:30
BBC NEWS | Technology | 'Human error' hits Google search (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7862840.stm)

2nd Feb 2009, 13:19
According to a quote from another newspaper, it was all down to someone having a slash in the wrong place!

As fear spread across the internet that hackers would bring the mighty search engine down and cause millions of pounds in damage, it emerged that the entire search engine was crashed by a rogue “/”.

Marissa Mayer, the vice-president of Google, explained the search engine has a list of harmful websites that it warns users not to visit. This afternoon a Google employee, whose job is to input the websites into the company’s system, accidentally typed “/” for the whole URL of a bad website. This caused Google to flag up every site with “/” in its URL as harmful, and blocked access.