PDA

View Full Version : Home cinema set up question

Parapunter
30th Jan 2009, 11:21
I've just built a pc for a friend who wants an integrated home cinema set up. The pc is no problem and is all done & ready. The overall set up will be like this:

Sky+ box into xp media centre. Media centre into 50" Samsung lcd. Telly outputs into some kind of surround speaker system - tbc. Now hooking the pc & the telly up is no problem, however, the audio output on the pc is from a creative audigy soundcard. What I'm not certain of is whether I will need to stick the output from the soundcard into the telly, and the telly then drives the amp to the speakers or whether the output from the soundcard will go directly to the amp, bypassing the tv altogether.

Either way, I don't foresee a major problem, but the variable is he hasn't finally decided on which way to go on the speaker setup. I just wonder if any ppruners have built similar systems and could share their experience?

Scumbag O'Riley
30th Jan 2009, 11:36
Looking into this home cinema stuff myself (not via a PC) and it's all changed since my teenage days when I last set set up a system with my trusty NAD 3020 and Linn turntable driving wharfedale lintons (or was it dentons, long time ago).

Anyway, get the feeling that the Sky HD+ will only output the surround sound via an optical cable. That goes into an amp (now called a receiver which I always thought was a radio) which drives the speakers. You aren't going to drive the speakers from the tele.

Also amps (sorry receivers) now cost hundreds of quid, whereas a decent set of budget wharfedale front speakers (diamond 9.1) are less that I paid for my wharfedales 30 years ago. Would have thought with the drop in electronics prices you could get a decent amp for fifty quid now!

So not sure where a PC would fit in....

But as I said, I really don't understand it all now.

Parapunter
30th Jan 2009, 11:44
The sky+ is not the problem...

Keygrip
30th Jan 2009, 11:53
I've done similar.

Laptop PC, lid closed, all battoned down (never turns off), picture goes direct to PC input of a Pioneer 42" LCD for *all* use, even e-mail.

Use an infra red remote keyboard with a combined trackball mouse from the sofa some 11'/3½m away.

Audio goes direct to a Sony receiver (amplifier - which, to be fair, Scumbag, is also a terrestrial and satellite radio tuner). 7.1 Surround.

We have an internet connection from Florida to a UK based Skybox+ so we can keep in touch with UK programmes, we also use internet radio for the BBC (just a five hour time shift).

Works a treat.

Our HD DVD (dammit, bought before the BlueRay argument was solved) also runs directly into the receiver) though if listened via the "DVD" input selection there is a noticable time delay and sound is not in synch with the picture. If we use the "Video 1" setting, it's perfect.

Parapunter
30th Jan 2009, 11:58
Audio goes direct to a Sony receiver

That's encouraging. What are the connections composed of KG?

Keygrip
30th Jan 2009, 13:36
The laptop audio is simply a 6mm stereo jack from the audio out sockets to two phono/RCA jacks on the back of the receiver

Standard 1960's stuff, lol.

Carries the surround sound signal no problem.

I would, most certainly, go for the receiver to drive the audio, not the tv set.

Scumbag O'Riley
30th Jan 2009, 14:45
Now I am getting really confused. How does 7.1 get passed through this system when you have a stereo bit in there? What does the laptop give you? Is the laptop upto handling a HD stream?

Parapunter
30th Jan 2009, 14:55
That's what I think. My system drives directly into the audio as a separate feed from the video. Works seamlessly. The unknown at this stage is what the actual audio equipment will be - makes life hard!! I'll look closely at how we can interface the pc & the amp for the audio. I'll soon be wired for sound!

Loose rivets
30th Jan 2009, 19:01
Do you'all like to have the volume control on the T/V remote, or have the amp / receiver on a separate control?

I find I alter the sound level a lot...mute and all that, so one control is a must.

Parapunter
30th Jan 2009, 19:33
On this particular install Rivets, it'll be wholly run through media centre, so it will all be controlled, volume and all though the one ms remote.

It's the big draw for me that one media centre replaces the aviionics bay you see in peoples front rooms. Media centre = cd player, dvd player, radio tuner, cd collection, photo album, dab radio, dvd collection, amplifier (sometimes!) etc.

Keygrip
31st Jan 2009, 01:26
I, personally, use the receiver remote for the audio - and mute the TV.

Para - you forgot my 12" vinyl collection and turntable PLUS my cassette collection and double deck cassette player.

Still have my 10" reel-to-reel machine, too.

Parapunter
31st Jan 2009, 07:25
And the TV times...:p

jimtherev
31st Jan 2009, 08:41
I, personally, use the receiver remote for the audio - and mute the TV.

Para - you forgot my 12" vinyl collection and turntable PLUS my cassette collection and double deck cassette player.

Still have my 10" reel-to-reel machine, too.

... And the Eddison Phonograph? :D