PDA

View Full Version : JAA Conversion Question

crj705
29th Jan 2009, 17:48
I am just looking into starting to convert my certificates and I have some question that I have not been able to find answers to.

First, I hold an FAA ATPL with CL-65 type rating and a JCAB (Japan) ATPL with B767 type rating. I am currently flying the 767 and that would be the easiest aircraft for me to do the skills check in, but would converting the Japanese license be more difficult than an FAA? Also, my JCAB is multi-engine only where as my FAA has commercial single privileges. If I converted my FAA would I get single engine privileges on my JAA certificate or would I have to do an additional skills test regardless?

Second, I am currently in Asia and I have found some CAA medical examiners that can do a class 1 in Singapore, but I have herd that the initial must be done in the UK. Is this correct or can I do my initial in Singapore?

I have found online that I can sit my exams in Malaysia, but can I do the skills check in Asia with a JAA approved sim and TRE?

Final question is regarding the UK Radio Telephony License. I have a Japanese certificate that I believe has similar requirements (1 week of class and 2 exams) as the UK certificate. Is there a way to get the UK license without having to sit the exams?

Thanks to all in advance.

Keygrip
29th Jan 2009, 23:30
705, every member state of JAA has slightly different interpretations to the master document "JAR-FCL 1" (and 3 for the medical).

Are you *specifically* looking to convert with the UK CAA?

If so;

1) No single engine without a second test,
2) My *belief* is they will make ya go to Gatwick
3) Probably.
Final) No chance. You have to take the UK radio test.

<<edit: typo>>

crj705
30th Jan 2009, 02:44
I assumed that going the CAA route would be the easiest as I found I could sit those exams in Malaysia. Would you agree or suggest otherwise. Can I shop around the various CAAs to find a better deal? I would assume that the requirements would all be similar.

Keygrip
30th Jan 2009, 03:37
Of course you can "shop around" - you're the client.

If the UK will allow you to sit the exams in Malaysia, maybe somebody else will, too.

Maybe you could do the CAA exams but somebody else's flying.

Best people to ask are the Authorities themselves.