PDA

View Full Version : Combining DVD files

Tosh McCaber
29th Jan 2009, 12:08
I have a VIDEO_TS file of my family on my hard disk, which I would like to burn onto a new DVD, behind another family video clip, which is presently on another DVD disc.

What’s the method for combining the two onto a new DVD disc?

Bushfiva
29th Jan 2009, 12:37
Do you mean a video_ts folder containing VOBs, etc.? And is the other file already in MPEG2 format or something else?

A DVD authoring program might help, or perhaps the Re-Author option of DVD Shrink. DVD-Guides.com would be a useful source of information if you don't get the answer here.

Tosh McCaber
29th Jan 2009, 15:44
Yes, the folder on the computer is video_ts folder containing VOBs, etc. The other is a home DVD video, on a DVD disc. I want to combine them.

I didn't think that DVD Shrink could take more than one file at a time? I've just tried it, and it would only mount the last file chosen- not the two?

spannersatcx
29th Jan 2009, 16:43
The last time I did something like this I had to convert the DVD's to avi or mpg then using DVD writing program you then end up with 2 films in the menu. Not sure or don't know of any software that will combine vob files etc.

Tosh McCaber
29th Jan 2009, 17:21
I did try converting the video_ts folder into a .avi file. Unfortunately, this produced a very poor quality, jerky result. I'm hoping that there's something out there to combine and keep the better quality video_ts.??

Just tried Windows Movie Maker- didn't like the DVD files.

Tosh McCaber
29th Jan 2009, 19:19
As often is the case, I did some detective work myself, and came upwith this:

Using DVD Shrink, extract each DVD to a different folder.

Then use DVD Shrink's Open Files to open the first folder.
Then hit the Re-author button, and drag the first title from the right
side to the left side of the window.
Then use the drop down arrow at the top of the right side to select the
folder with the next ripped DVD, and drag the first title to the left
side.
Repeat for each subsequent folder.
Hit Back Up when you have all ready for burning.

Thanks for all replies!

Tosh McCaber
30th Jan 2009, 14:10
Doh! All files on disk, giving two clips, but it only pays one or the other on the computer, depending on which I select, and only the first clip on domestic DVD!!

youngskywalker
31st Jan 2009, 15:00
Apologies for the slight drift...

recently bought a camcorder and used it while away skiing for a week, trying to edit and burn it onto a DVD disk but it turns out that your not allowed more than 99 clips on a DVD and I have 140! Any answers or solutions?

Hobgoblin
2nd Feb 2009, 13:54
Try out a free little program called Any Video Converter. Just google the name. You can take the .vob files you got from DVD shrink and combine them with anything from wmv, avi, flv and I dunno what else. It will convert it to just about anything you want and shrink the size down as well. Mrs H got a new Nokia 5800 and we used this handy program to recode a number of videos to go on the new mobile. Works a treat. Don't even worry about getting the Pro version as you don't need it, free version works great.

Also, if you want to be able to fit x number of movies on a disc just play with the options until the files are small enough. you'll lose quality but there is always a pay-off somewhere.