PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions from a newbee

John S.B.
29th Jan 2009, 00:46
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and to the air industry. I took some time to read a few post in regards of new pilots and training but i actually have a few question which remains unaswered. I'm sorry if it sound redoundant but i would appreciate your tought on my situation.

Here is the topo : I'm a 24 year old Marketing graduate student from Montreal. I've always been pationate about planes and piloting. I'm seeing that desk job and administrative work is not too much for me and would like to persue a dream of flying planes for a living but I do have some reserves of doing so because of the costs, and the fact of totally changing carrers. Here are my questions :

1- What are the employement perspectives in the next years for a fresh graduate from a flying school ?

2- What kind of job should i expect finding after flight school ?

3- What kind of salary should i expect starting ? and after a few years of piloting ?

4- If anyone know the (CQFA) Centre québecois de formation aéronotique, is it the best school to go to ? This mean for me to move out of montreal a change job. It also mean to go back to high school to do a math and physic course which i haven't done at that time. This option is interesting in the fact that the governement is paying for mostly all your formation. The only thing is that it takes 3 years and that on a 100, only a few will be able to pass trought.

The other option is for me to go to a regional flight school in either ST hubert or Mascouche QC and to assume all the fees. IT seems that it will cost me rufly 60 000$. With this option I do not need to go back to high school benchs but I would need to ethier find a loawn or to take 4 or 5 years to pay my class cash.

What are the companies looking for, is that CQFA diploma better than regular flight school ?

5- Will my Bussiness and marketing degee help me anyhow when looking for a job?

6- What is CPL and APTL ?

7- Which formation should I look for ? European or American ?

8- Working in that industry, does it mean to be always on the move from a city to an other in the fisrt 6 or 7 years as the rumors are in the non pilots community ?

9- Is it rough on the familly / girlfriend side ? meaning that you are always away and can't hardly see your significant other ? From what I heard, pilots are away from home 28 days on 30 in the first years.

10- Which formation should I be following and what are the abreviation name use in this forum?

11- Finally, can you breif me on what it is exactly to work as a pilot.

I'm sure that those questions have already been asked many times but I would really appreciate your toughts on my particular situation.

Thank you very much

Jean-Sebastien

Whirlygig
29th Jan 2009, 06:31
I'm sure that those questions have already been asked many timesYes they have. .And they've been answered. Please read the archive thread, please read through the first few pages of threads here, please google for Transport Canada, Canadian Flight Schools. The research you carry out for yourself is always more meaningful than the research others do for you.

Cheers

Whirls

jamie230985
30th Jan 2009, 10:35
Hi Jean,

Firstly excuse what Whirlygig said above, not all PPRuNe users are as unhelpful & rude.

I will attempt to answer most of your questions in turn but some I will not know 100%.

1. Employment prospects aren't great with airlines. We are approx 9-12 months into a global recession which has and will continue to hit the aviation industry hard for around another 12-18 months before it gets better.

2. At the moment most students are opting to do an Instructor rating and trying to find work there, it gives you a wage and flying hours which are vital when applying for your first airline positions.

3. I'm from the UK and most of our airline pilots start around £25 - 30,000 sterling and this will improve significantly over time to around the £70,000+

4. I do not know the school, however I did spend some time during my training in Moncton Flight Collage in New Brunswick which I found to be an exceptional place to live and train, I know it means a move but it is a sacrifice sometimes you have to make.

5. It can only help and never hinder. I have a degree in Air Transport Management which is a bonus, however what you must remember is that every student leaves with almost exactly the same flying qualifications so your degree could help set you apart from others who do not have one.

6. CPL = Commercial Pilot License
ATPL = Air Transport Pilot License

The MAIN difference in the two is that for the ATPL you need to study for more theory exams (In UK its 7 for CPL or 14 for ATPL) but every airline will require you to have an ATPL.

7. FAA (American) is probably cheaper but in my opinion the training is not as good as JAA (European). It depends what you want to achieve and where you want to be based. JAA gives you more countries and is wider recognised but FAA gives you the US.

8. Working in this industry is not exactly as glamourous as one may think. In the early stages of airline flying you are the new guy so you go where the company needs you and if that means moving then you move. As time goes by you get more status and become more settled.

9. It can be tough on family life but its not as extreme as you have heard. It is a fantastic career and you can get many benefits but if your relationship is not a strong one it will put added strain on there. Unfortunately thats the life we chose!!!

10. As i said before, your main two are FAA (US) or JAA (EU) but Canada also has its own (Transport Canada) so If you wish to remain there for work look into this one too.

11. Working as a pilot is not really like any job you will encounter. You have early starts, late finishes & hard work to do but its also very rewarding. When flying with airlines you spend long periods sat talking with your Captain/First Officer about none aviation related things. We joke when training that this kind of flying is hours of boredham interupted by moments of mayhem!!

The job you are looking to step into is unique and special but only if your 100% prepared for it and only if you are willing to work hard. Anyone can pass exams and fly a plane, thats not really that difficult, its the extra things you bring with you to the table that will set you apart, remember this!!

I hope this helped a little and good luck!! If you need any more help private message me!!

Happy Landings

Jamie