PDA

View Full Version : RAM jam

aspinwing
28th Jan 2009, 19:13
Since recently increasing RAM in my PC I have noticed that the computer slows to a crawl or hangs up in IExplorer after some usage. By monitoring Windows Task Manager I notice that the ram (Page File history) fills up after some browsing. Usually after loading IE the ram usage is at about 500 mb. The ram usage doesn’t seem to increase in any particular pattern except when I follow links.
CPU usage often peaks at 100%
Is there any switch that I can make to have the system dump the residual linked information? Problem can be solved by closing and reopening IExplorer but that is a pain. :*

Parapunter
28th Jan 2009, 19:29
Since recently increasing RAM

...Is where I'd start. PC works, change made, pc works less well.:}

Is your RAM matched, of the correct type, properly installed, actually working proerly? I would do thoise ticks in boxes first, then go on to other ideas. there is a utility called IIRC memtest, that will check your ram is working for you, could be a good starting point. Good luck.:ok:

Jayles
30th Jan 2009, 00:18
Check ya RAM, is it the same spec as supported by the motherboard, e.g. DDR333, DDR400 dual channel etc....

Otherwise, check ya application, what's the program using most extensive usage of memory. Might have a coincident that you kenna a worm or virus.... Good Luck~! :ok:

mcdhu
30th Jan 2009, 16:03
Let Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com) do a scan of your machine to discove exactly what RAM you should have installed.

Regards
mcdhu