PDA

View Full Version : Yes I can't believe I have to ask either.

craigbell
28th Jan 2009, 12:50
OK I haven't figured out how to quote others posts yet. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks

call100
28th Jan 2009, 13:02
I haven't found a way to direct quote.....I just cut and paste the bits I want to quote into the reply box.Then highlight it and click on the 'wrap (QUOTE) tags around selected text' in the symbols above....looks like a voice bubble...at the end of the line.

Senior Paper Monitor
28th Jan 2009, 13:28
http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/304225-how-do-you-quote-someone-pprune-please.html

Bushfiva
28th Jan 2009, 13:32
Can someone help me out here?

Dear incredibly thick McThick of the Clan Thick-type person.

(1) Highlight the text you would like to quote and hit ctrl-C

(2) Hit the "reply" button"

(3) Click on the "quote bubble" icon, which is usually the rightmost on the second line of icons. If you leave the mouse there long enough, the text popup will say "Wrap [quote] tags around the selected text". And, at this point, I feel my entire explanation unravels thanks to the the wonders of vBulletin.

(4) Paste the text you copied between the [-quote] and [-/quote] tags.

Voila.

But don't add "-" within the brackets.

stepwilk
28th Jan 2009, 13:33
On a Mac, I highlight the words I want to quote, whether it's a sentence or the entire post, then hit "Apple + C" (the key with the Apple symbol + the C key). Then when I open the "reply to thread" box and have a cursor blinking, I hit "Apple + V" and the highlighted words reappear there. I then add the quote marks manually.

Probably a kludge way of doing it, but what do I know?

Bushfiva
28th Jan 2009, 13:41
It should be very obvious, but it doesn't seem to work that way because of the bazillion icons one is presented with when replying to a posting, there's no understanding of hierarchy. You need to be looking at the end of the second row of icons. This is the "quote" button. You need to understand that the buttons don't do anything magical, they simply insert text surrounded by square brackets. Then, you need to have some text in your copy buffer to insert between the sets of brackets. If you can7t work out how to use the icons, you can simply type what you want to say. For example:

I broke wind prodigiously

It must be the beans, he thought.

Call100 has it exactly right: Call100 does exactly the right steps to quote, but doesn't recognise that those steps are correct, because of the way vBulletin presents the option.

Background Noise
28th Jan 2009, 18:11
On a Mac, I highlight the words I want to quote....

stepwilk, do the Apple+C bit, then in the reply window click the quote button, put the cursor in between the (QUOTE)s and do the apple+V.

You know you can also right-click on an apple mouse?

Keef
28th Jan 2009, 19:46
OK I haven't figured out how to quote others posts yet. Can someone help me out here?

There is another way....

.. the way I use.

I just hit "reply" - no Ctrl or Mac or funny keypresses.

Up in the URL box at the top of Firefox appears a long string starting with pprune and ending with &noquote=1

I change the 1 to 0, press enter, and hey presto the whole message appears as a quote, ready to reply to it and with some other clever stuff that I don't understand pointing at the post in question.

I edit the quoted bit to show what I want to answer, enter my answer, and job done. Like this, in fact.

BOAC
28th Jan 2009, 22:32
or of course you could always use search:) and then add letters to make up the min length:ugh::ugh::ugh:

call100
29th Jan 2009, 00:55
Call100 has it exactly right: Call100 does exactly the right steps to quote, but doesn't recognise that those steps are correct, because of the way vBulletin presents the option. Yesterday 14:33I do recognise that they are the correct steps.(for this forum)....This however is the only forum I frequent that doesn't have quote option next to or, in place of, the reply option which makes things a lot easier...
However I think that this thread could now possibly be confusing the OP.

craigbell
29th Jan 2009, 01:49
Dear incredibly thick McThick of the Clan Thick-type person.OK that'll do.

Thanks, but really, I can't be that thick if a debate on how to quote is actually as long as this one.

Bushfiva
29th Jan 2009, 02:12
Sorry, there should have been a smiley in there. Quoting seems to a rite of passage around here. You see no way of doing it, then when you learn how, it seems so obvious. I think it's because the quote icon doesn't seem to be in the most logical place - below font selection and to the right of the scary-looking link icons. On the other hand, there's two different ways of getting smilies inserted. Then there's the mysterious "switch editor mode" icon, which on one machine makes the text wobble a bit, and on another machine makes all the icons vanish.

craigbell
29th Jan 2009, 03:18
Sorry, there should have been a smiley in there.

No problems, I don't take offence easily:ok:

Loose rivets
29th Jan 2009, 05:12
...the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...

I'm getting it:}

oldbeefer
29th Jan 2009, 07:36
There is another way....

.. the way I use.

I just hit "reply" - no Ctrl or Mac or funny keypresses.

Up in the URL box at the top of Firefox appears a long string starting with pprune and ending with &noquote=1

I change the 1 to 0, press enter, and hey presto the whole message appears as a quote, ready to reply to it and with some other clever stuff that I don't understand pointing at the post in question.

I edit the quoted bit to show what I want to answer, enter my answer, and job done. Like this, in fact.

You don't need to type in 0 - just delete the 1 and hit return.

craigbell
29th Jan 2009, 07:53
This thread just keeps on giving haha.:D

Bushfiva
29th Jan 2009, 08:36
A pome.

John Bunwas killed by a gun.His name wasn't Bun, but Wood.But Wood wouldn't rhyme with gun.But Bunwould.

(Dibble&Grubb)

al446
29th Jan 2009, 16:44
Dear incredibly thick McThick of the Clan Thick-type person.
Too much Blackadder methinks, too little compassion and understanding.

Get a life and wash yo mouth out. You must be an absolute hoot to drink with. Home life OK?

Bushfiva
30th Jan 2009, 00:18
Home life OK?

Yup, still beating various things.

call100
30th Jan 2009, 23:12
Yup, still beating various things.

Like the Wife?????:}

Blues&twos
31st Jan 2009, 11:15
Like the wife? Not actually the wife? Now I'm curious. A cardboard cutout perhaps?

craigbell
31st Jan 2009, 14:33
Like the wife? Not actually the wife? Now I'm curious. A cardboard cutout perhaps?

Maybe it's the ex-wife...:E

I feel this thread is going over my head.:confused:

Newforest2
18th Apr 2009, 07:35
You don't need to type in 0 - just delete the 1 and hit return.

KISS. Getting the thread back on subject, 'bout time, how do you quote from different posters in the same reply to thread?

Saab Dastard
18th Apr 2009, 07:59
Try copy and paste - possibly even using the Quote tool in the editor toolbar (it's the one with talk bubble).

SD

AvEnthusiast
18th Apr 2009, 08:33
now whent it comes to asking about using pprune, then let me as well to ask two things.
1- How do you see if there are new replies posted in the threads you have posted. apart from subscribing e-mail notifications and advance search? or how do you see all the threads you have posted?
2- how do you subscribe to a thread without posting in it? I mean just to keep track of a thread without really posting because I see the subscribe commands when you only hit the reply button in a thread.

Saab Dastard
18th Apr 2009, 12:24
1- How do you see if there are new replies posted in the threads you have posted. apart from subscribing e-mail notifications and advance search? or how do you see all the threads you have posted?

Easiest way is to refer to the Envelope icons to the left of each thread in the Forum view. There is a key at the bottom of the page. You can easily see which threads you have posted in (arrow).

2- how do you subscribe to a thread without posting in it?

Use the drop-down Thread Tools menu (Subscribe) in the yellow menu at the top of the opened thread.

You might also want to experiment with the different Display Modes on the same menu bar. There is an FAQ on the topmost Forum Menu Bar that explains them.

SD

mutt
19th Apr 2009, 04:31
Some ad blockers stop the use of the automated quoting button, so this is the manual way.

place text in here [quote] but use /quote in the 2nd box to close the quote.

[quote]place text in here

Mutt