PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Female/Male/Race Hiring.

MidgetBoy
28th Jan 2009, 05:40
Would an airline be more willing to hire someone of color or a woman over a man to fulfill some sort of quota?
Like, I've read all those things about not hiring at minimum requirements, but if a black woman with 2000TT applies and has a great personality and a caucasian man with 3000TT, also with a great personality, apply for the same position, will it make a difference?

Loopy
28th Jan 2009, 11:52
NotCanada.com | The Truth About Immigration To Canada (http://www.notcanada.com)

Auroradude
28th Jan 2009, 14:32
Canada doesn't like to admit it, but there are many hiring decisions made on race/gender. In fact most large corporations and government agencies have quotas that they are required to meet, ie. 10% have to be french or ethnic. I have seen many less experienced females get hired or promoted over a more experienced male.
At the airline that I work at, if you were a black-french speaking-woman of native indian descent, they would hire you with 100 hours of cessna 172 time. :ok:

Chuck Ellsworth
28th Jan 2009, 15:59
And if you were bisexual with AIDS you would get bonus points.

skidbuggy
30th Jan 2009, 12:49
Equal opportunity today means:

Conservative, white, university educated, heterosexual, males need not apply...

catch up with the times my friends.

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
31st Jan 2009, 04:41
At one point the Montreal Canadiens had first dibs on all French Canadien prospects in the NHL!

Hamtarro
31st Jan 2009, 15:27
Come on guys it`s equal oppurtunity for everyone. That`s what Canada`s about. Finding the best Man or Women for the position no matter creed color or Gender.
Hang on one more beer and I`ll contemplate this matter.
Okay maybe it is a little screwed up. All expats at this fine Airline I drive for here in Taiwan got a pay cut. Only expats. And only expats were sent to a hotel in the middle of nowhere way far away (in Taipei only)from any Costco and with no transportation to any source of reasonable sustinance. There is a knock-off 7-11 and a noodle shop and a KFC. No gym in the hotel. Yet at all other hotels used by Taiwanese "pilots and buiscit shooters" have all the ammenities. Canada tries to raise the bar and openly practices reverse descrimination. Thats fine but the day a 95 pound female immigrant fire fighter tries to lug my fat arse out of a burning pub in some basement in Ricmond....You can bet my family will find the best "man or women" to carry out the legal representation for the lawsuit. We have a long way to go in Canada.

Hamtarro
31st Jan 2009, 15:59
Excellent article, everone should have a listen. Just cause you show up to the party with your nose pickers on doesn`t mean some employers gonna cut the rug with yah. We still have standards here...sort of. Because some immigrant engineer drives hack here for a couple of years is not Canada`s fault. Sorry were a little short on red carpets. If you showed up without a dedicated employer, should someone quit to make room for you? Does anyone care about the kid who grew up here that attends interview after interview has a proffession but works as a labourer on some construction site. Passing the points process to get here does just that it gets you here. If you have an education you should be able to figure this out. ****ting on Canada is a full time occupation for many people and big business. Hopefully this selective process ensures some kind of standards. And yes no doubt we do need skilled immigrants. Contrary to popular belief you should still make an effort and fight for a reasonable position within your field once you arrive. We could open the flood gates tommorrow and slip to third world status.
Don`t like it, the bus leaves every hour don`t be under it!
H

Chuck Ellsworth
1st Feb 2009, 03:01
We could open the flood gates tommorrow and slip to third world status.

Then when you get off an airplane in Toronto or Vancouver you would think you had arrived at Heathrow?

Hamtarro
1st Feb 2009, 04:46
No Chuck I kind of had Taipei in mind wich is about .3 off of Tird world standards.
H