PDA

View Full Version : CPL or IR first? MEP CPL or SEP CPL.. or combined?!

obi-nu
27th Jan 2009, 19:22
Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get any advice from people that have done their CPL/MEP/IR, instructors or current commercial pilots on their thoughts as to the best order of doing this. I have heard many pros and cons for both ways (e.g. do IR first as CPL will be much easier or do CPL first so you are not relying on instruments and do CPL in a single as MEP would then only have to be to PPL standards or CPL in a multi as more Multi hours and IR easier etc!!) :ugh: I know there is no golden ticket to the right way but would like to see some more thoughts on it from people that have done it! :confused:

P.s. I'll be starting my commercial in the spring so weather would be improving as I know this can make a difference in which way to go...

Thanks.

Keygrip
27th Jan 2009, 20:59
I have heard many pros and cons for both ways

So just how many opinions are you looking to collect, and how will you choose the correct one?

Eventually you're going to have to make your own command decision, so the question is all a bit academic, don't you think?

obi-nu
28th Jan 2009, 10:10
So just how many opinions are you looking to collect, and how will you choose the correct one?

Eventually you're going to have to make your own command decision, so the question is all a bit academic, don't you think?

KeyGrip,

I understood the purpose of an internet forum was for discussion and for people to ask questions and express their opinions and expertise on subjects. Otherwise why have them? I was not looking for the 'correct one' but merely opinions from people that have gone through it, to help me gauge and make my own decision - the same as asking people face to face and making our own mind up, as we all do in everyday life. If this is academic why discuss anything?

In fact, I felt this question is one that possibly many people ponder and thought it appropriate and relevant to post it here - possibly also to help others in the same position looking at this forum. After all, this is what it is for, is it not?

I know of other people, nervous of posting here due to some of the negative and unconstructive comments that are sometimes expressed on threads, and for this reason, I was hesitant also. Your comments, I think, sum this up nicely.

Many Thanks.

Olabade
28th Jan 2009, 10:56
Hi,

CPL syllabus is a bit easier than IR, so doing CPL first is a natural way and as you progress the courses get a bit more demanding. What comes to minimum price and hours I haven't got a clue, but professionally I think it's best way.

Did mine followig order and it was pretty straight forward: every course being a bit more demanding than the last one.

CPL (SEP)
IR (SEP)
ME (King Air type rating course)
FI
MCC/JOC (with DC9 sim)
A32S Type course

Best of Luck, Sir,

Olabade

Subhuman
28th Jan 2009, 11:15
I booked my CPL a bit early, so ended up re booking it after my IR.

So I did ME-IR then an SEP CPL.

Advantages: CPL was a breeze, bit of a laugh really! got 10 hours off my CPL course as well since i held an IR so no instrument time. Slightly cheaper.

Disadvantages: Extra 5 hours in the sim on the IR because I had no CPL ( did 30-25 split) , the IR at the "start" was tricky, to be honest the IR comes down to your instructor, I think I just clicked quite well with mine and I didn't have many issues with the IR at all.

What it boils down to, any way you do it, you'll end up with a CPL/ME-IR. So really just find the school you'd like to do it at and ask them their preferred way :)

RTN11
28th Jan 2009, 12:44
I'm in the same position as you, about to start my CPL

I'm planning to do CPL first, as that way once I have it, if everything is still looking bad in the market I have a CPL to start working with, and could simply add an FIR and look for a job instructing.

If you do an IR, which is more expensive, then decide you may not want to invest another £5-6k, all you have is a PPL/ME/IR.

winguru
14th Aug 2009, 22:21
i have similiar question, i have convert the FAA PPL IR MEP to JAA IR MEP
(conversion course 5H MEP, 10FNPTII)

After that i want to get a JAA CPL, doing all training in SEP.

I need to do the JAA CPL Skilltest in a MEP, so i can get a CPL IR MEP licence?

Or Can i, after CPL SEP training do CPL Skilltest in SEP, obtaining CPL IR MEP licence, once that i already had converted from FAA PPL IR MEP.
(i guess the conversion from FAA PPL IR MEP to JAA PPL IR MEP gives me a a JAA MEP rating doesnt it?)

Thank you

theflyingbishop
16th Aug 2009, 16:06
I feel that you may find that there is a considerable amount of training required to convert FAA to JAA. From how I understand it:
i) you will be required to sit all 14 theory exams for the JAA licence.

ii) Ones you have sat (and passed) all the fourteen exams you are ready for the flight portion of the conversion. The requirements to convert are a minimum of 250 hours total time and a long cross country of at least 300 NM.

iii) For the commercial conversion the regulations only state “training as required”. This means it’s up to your instructor to determine if you are ready for the JAA CPL check ride or not. Nevertheless expect to fly about 5 hours plus your check ride for the JAA CPL.

iv) The instrument rating can not be converted outside Europe and consist of minimum fifteen hours of flight training. For many students this therefore become the most expensive part of the conversion flying. Expect to pay between anywhere from £5000+ just for the instrument rating.

v) You will then need an MCC which is around another £5000

You can do SEP IR then do your MEP rating, but I think the ME/IR test is more highly thought of, which is why the big schools do it that way.

Hope this helps, and is not to down-heartening!

winguru
16th Aug 2009, 22:12
ii) that might be 200h

If i have an FAA IR MEP when i convert to JAA IR/MEP, will i be able to fly MEP VFR (is MEP also issued, or do i need to do a MEP VFR course)

If do JAA CPL / SEP and skillexam in SEP Complex after converting FAA IR/MEP, will i have MEP priveledges in CPL licence?

Nearly There
16th Aug 2009, 22:27
You will then need an MCC which is around another £5000
Sounds a bit expensive, you can do the MCC for around £2000 to £2500

For example, and highly recommended.
European Skybus Limited - Flight Training - MCC (Multi-Crew Co-operation) JAA Approved Course (http://www.eaac.co.uk/flight_training_courses.php)

obi-nu
17th Aug 2009, 19:53
Sounds a bit expensive, you can do the MCC for around £2000 to £2500

For example, and highly recommended.
European Skybus Limited - Flight Training - MCC (Multi-Crew Co-operation) JAA Approved Course (http://www.eaac.co.uk/flight_training_courses.php)

I would second that, i have just finished the MCC at European and would highly recommend also, good price, good instructors, good sim...

Thought id add my 2 cents as this was a thread i started some time ago!:)

mr_meatbomb
18th Aug 2009, 08:06
Hi Obi-Nu,

Out of interest, in which order did you decide to complete your training in the end? Sound's like you are all finished, well done!

MB