PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Medical for PPL

dublin_eire
27th Jan 2009, 14:38
Hi,

Getting medical soon. An optional extra is the audio. It's e45 more. Is it necessary? I plan on going beyond PPL eventually. I understand it's for the instrument flying you need it. What do you think?

johnc21
28th Jan 2009, 07:00
Hi

It depends on what level you wish to continue towards.

If its up to CPL,ATPL you will need the Class 1 so you might be better off trying to get it from the outset.

I am not sure exactly how far the class 2 can take you though, sorry.

SweetChariotXV
28th Jan 2009, 07:47
What is the price difference between class 1 and 2. I know class one initial is £317 but not sure about initial class 2. If you say you eventually plan on going further with flying, then why not bite the bullet and just get the class 1 now instead of paying for 2 initial medicals?
It will also give you some peace of mind too!

dublin_eire
28th Jan 2009, 10:14
Just to do with timing. I haven't left enough time to get Class 1.

I start flying very soon. I was told the audio is for IR. I plan on going commercial so would you recommend take class 2 + audio now to do me up to that level or just take the standard class 2 now and take a class 1 when going further?

You said I need a class 1 for CPL test???

johnc21
28th Jan 2009, 11:20
If you are planning to go commercial, you will need a class 1, try get it now because, if for some reason you may fail the class 1, it is better to know now rather than later for obvious reasons.

RTN11
28th Jan 2009, 12:25
Class one initial is quite expensive, but after that each section is valid for a different period of time, so each yearly renewal costs a slightly different amount.

Also, if you get a class one, and after a year you don't renew, you still have class 2 privilages for 5 years (as you would if you just get a class 2)

You don't want to do all your training, then find out you can't get a class 1 medical for whatever reason. It's worth getting it just for the peace of mind.

Whirlygig
28th Jan 2009, 12:43
Just to do with timing. I haven't left enough time to get Class 1.
I start flying very soon.
You don't need a medical to start flying on a PPL course as you will flying under your instructor's licence but you will need it before solo.

I would call your CAA today and try and book an initial Class 1 asap; they may have cancellations or an early slot. If you get a Class 2 initial, you'll only need to get a Class 1 initial later so that's a waste. The audio is definitely a waste unless you seriously think you're going to fail it in which case you won't get a Class 1.

And yes, you must have a Class 1 medical before you sit your CPL skill test.

Cheers

Whirls

29th Jan 2009, 08:35
I agree I started my PPL back in August and got a Class 2 and after completing the PPL / night (IMC nearly finished) I now have to go to Gatwick for the Class 1 to continue on. It may be about £140 more than the Class 2 initial but better to have it if you are planning on the CPL etc. I have not booked ATPL course etc until class 1 in the bag just in case not issued.

Good luck